Lubeguard Platinum for track use on a Z4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GF and I are going to take a 2006 Z4 3.0i with 55k miles for some track days every other month. We're planning to change the ATF fluid in the car, a ZF 6HP19 before we go (among some other upgrades like brakes and tires). I was wondering if it might be a good idea to add a bottle of Lubeguard Platinum. The tranny works great today, I just want some extra stability and temperature protection which apparently is what LG is great at.

Thoughts?

I've never had an issue with Lubegard and it's in all of my transmissions. Check their applicability chart to make sure Platinum is what you need.

I wouldn’t use an additive in a ZF unless it’s your last ditch effort trying to fix a problem. Just keep the fluid changed at a regular interval with OE fluid. Some Fords came with the 6HP, which calls for Mercon SP fluid. Much cheaper than Lifeguard 6.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I wouldn’t use an additive in a ZF unless it’s your last ditch effort trying to fix a problem. Just keep the fluid changed at a regular interval with OE fluid. Some Fords came with the 6HP, which calls for Mercon SP fluid. Much cheaper than Lifeguard 6.

I ran Dex VI and Lubegard Platinum in my ZF6 per the Lubegard chart.

Worked perfectly.

I'd make it real simple for myself and either shoot them an email or call them. They will tell you exactly what you need for your application. They make some great products, and they reply to calls and emails.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Does platinum create a different friction modification than is expected?

It does and what you do not want for tracking is a friction coefficient that allows more lockup time in the wet clutches.

I cannot point to a need for either Lubeguard Red or Platinum in a functioning transmission.

100%

Factory roll bars are fine and they explicitly state that Boxsters, S2000s, Z4s are good to go with a proper helmet. BMWCCA's stupid events might be out but every Socal track organizer allows it including the PCA which is a far better organization than the BMWCCA.

Last edited:
Got a standard canned response

Thank you for contacting us!
You can add either the Lubegard Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant #60902 or the Platinum Universal #63010 to your 2006 Z4 3.0i. Both products work equally well at smoothing the shifting, lowering the operating temperature and extending fluid life. Out of the two products, the Lubegard Platinum provides better anti-wear protection.
Please let me know if I can do anything else.
Best regards,

And some final correspondence:

Me:

Quote:
Thanks for responding. My miles are very low and shifting is very smooth. However, I will be changing atf fluid very soon as part of maintenance. I plan to track this car and I wanted to know if it’s a good or bad idea to add Platinum into my next fluid change for a perfectly functioning transmission as a precaution for high temperatures.

Lubegard:

Quote:

The Platinum is a perfect preventive maintenance product. Lowering the operating temperature is one of the primary benefits. The Platinum will raise the thermal and oxidative stability of the fluid while reducing component wear. By lowering the temperature you prevent the fluid from breaking down and sludge from forming. Lubegard also lubricates the seals and o-rings making them pliable without shrinking or swelling them.
I think you will be happy with the results. Have a nice evening!

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
And some final correspondence:

Me:

Thanks for responding. My miles are very low and shifting is very smooth. However, I will be changing atf fluid very soon as part of maintenance. I plan to track this car and I wanted to know if it�s a good or bad idea to add Platinum into my next fluid change for a perfectly functioning transmission as a precaution for high temperatures.

Lubegard:

The Platinum is a perfect preventive maintenance product. Lowering the operating temperature is one of the primary benefits. The Platinum will raise the thermal and oxidative stability of the fluid while reducing component wear. By lowering the temperature you prevent the fluid from breaking down and sludge from forming. Lubegard also lubricates the seals and o-rings making them pliable without shrinking or swelling them.
I think you will be happy with the results. Have a nice evening!

Can sludge form in a transmission? I've seen lots of black fluid in under maintained transmissions but never seen sludge in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back