This summers common ac repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
We have been doing lots of evaporators on 2015+ Mustangs. For a long time we had to do the whole heater box, Ford finally came out with an update where we can get just the core now.

It's big talk on the Mustang chat boards. Have you inspected any failed evaporators to determine what fails and causes it to leak - cracked weld, cracked tube, ??

Also read that Ford has updated the evaporator a couple of times, but they keep failing. Any inside info on the problem?

I just threw the whole housings away and now toss the evaporators in the beer money scrap pile when Ford says to scrap them. Ford doesn't even call them back anymore so you know that means it is a common problem.

Not sure of the update change, but they went from doing a whole heater box to just the evaporator core.

It would be interesting to take a failed evaporator and pressurize it with some air and put it under water to see where these leaks are occurring - similar to what a shop does to test a radiator for leaks. Nobody has ever said where the leaks happen in the AC evaporators, or has come up with a root cause (ie, bad welds, bad aluminum - too brittle, etc?).

Ford came up with a procedure to just replace the evaporator core because they are losing their [censored] on warranty claims on that part.

So interesting tidbit about our new r1234yf machine is that it cannot be moved. Like it has no wheels and must remain stationary. The paperwork says that the r1234yf is so susceptible to explosions that merely rolling the machine across our lot could make it detonate. The tech who gets to have it in his stall is really excited to have it.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
How are the AC systems on the Vics? Both my previous 99 and now this one seem to be trouble-free compared to literally every GMT400 I've owned having AC problems.

Put 300K miles on a 2005 Vic. At 180K miles had to change out the accumulator. Took forever to find where the Freon was leaking out. Still had the original compressor and everything else. The rest of the system was never touched. The A/C stayed ice cold until the day I sold it. The a/c also stayed on continually since the day I brought it home back in 2005.

So interesting tidbit about our new r1234yf machine is that it cannot be moved. Like it has no wheels and must remain stationary. The paperwork says that the r1234yf is so susceptible to explosions that merely rolling the machine across our lot could make it detonate. The tech who gets to have it in his stall is really excited to have it.

crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Holy, holy, holy cow!!!!!

That's just downright stupid. Wow.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

And propane/isobutane is considered dangerous and illegal to use in r-12 systems.

Can you post that paperwork? That sounds like a big urban legend, a quick search of R1234YF servicing machines show many with wheels.

crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

The tech was venting to me about it today. He is Vietnamese, like escaped Vietnam and has stories of being in a rice paddy breathing through a straw while the VC killed everyone in his village. I am one of the few people that can understand him since I was his apprentice for a while like 15ish years ago. He basically said he wants to quit and not have to deal with it.

Plus the 1234yf is obscenely expensive, the 10lb bottle lists for $1532.27. A 30lb bottle of r134a lists for $254.13. Plus we have to stock 2 different oils since Ford has different ones for belt driven and electric compressors.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...ling%20Products
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...ling%20Products

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Can you post that paperwork? That sounds like a big urban legend, a quick search of R1234YF servicing machines show many with wheels.

It was in an email my service manager showed all of us. I never got it. It also said something about the scale being fragile on this and our new r134a machine and it could lose accuracy if moved too much.

Last edited:
That’s a crazy high price. You can buy a 10lb canister for $675 online including shipping.

Not that I’m saying that’s cheap for refrigerant but still not $1532.

The paperwork says that the r1234yf is so susceptible to explosions that merely rolling the machine across our lot could make it detonate.

That was why Mercedes was very hesitant to use HFO-1234yf - the risk of a fire during a collision from a severed refrigerant line. But Daimler was strongarmed via EU CO2 regulations to switch or pay up.

Daimler really wanted R-744, which is CO2 and Denso was also a proponent of using CO2 as an alternative refrigerant.

Last edited:
That’s a crazy high price. You can buy a 10lb canister for $675 online including shipping.

Well , it cost a lot of money to bribe all those politicians and bureuracrats , to force such a disaster onto the public and the industry ! :-(

Originally Posted By: nthach
The paperwork says that the r1234yf is so susceptible to explosions that merely rolling the machine across our lot could make it detonate.

That was why Mercedes was very hesitant to use HFO-1234yf - the risk of a fire during a collision from a severed refrigerant line. But Daimler was strongarmed via EU CO2 regulations to switch or pay up.

Daimler really wanted R-744, which is CO2 and Denso was also a proponent of using CO2 as an alternative refrigerant.

Just process power plant exhaust gas to remove the CO2 . Make the " global warming Nazis " happy and provide refrigerant . Kill 2 birds with one stone .

That would be the list price. Dealer cost is obviously lower. There is actually a somewhat decent profit built in which knowing the way Ford is going with their parts pricing, they will fix soon enough.

Originally Posted By: nthach

There are huge problems with using CO2, not the least of which are the extremely high system pressures. It's not a good solution.

Solid thermodynamics and operational concerns have gone out the window in regards to automotive A/C refrigerants, now moving from one silly system to the next.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

And propane/isobutane is considered dangerous and illegal to use in r-12 systems.

It is legal to use it to convert R134a systems.

The Big G hates all alternatives for R12, because they just want those cars to die and never come back.

My work-around?

I converted my R12 systems to R134a systems (used the R134a fittings, but no refrigerant). Once the empty systems were now R134a converted by the fittings, I then converted the "R134a" systems to ES12 Industrial refrigerant. Them no longer being R12 systems, no laws were broken. Already begun a stockpile of R134a and ES12. Have about 400 lbs. of both that I picked up on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back