RTV drying out

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I use RTV here and there for random projects, as I'm sure many BITOGers do. Now, if I have a larger project or something, for example a differential service, I'll likely go out of my way to grab a new tube of the appropriate RTV. Otherwise, I usually have some form of silicone RTV on hand from my last project. This comes in VERY handy. Unfortunately, it seems like they are always drying up and curing on me. Does anybody have a trick or method they use to extend the shelf life of an opened tube of RTV? How long can you stretch that shelf life out for?

Ziplock wouldn't hurt although I'm not sure what a desiccant would do. Isn't RTV solvent evaporative?

If I must use RTV I buy the smallest tube possible, use it and toss the little tube. Mostly I use Hylomar M which is many times better than RTV for most uses, no problems with drying out.

Put a gob of Vaseline in the cap when storing away. Squeeze some out and wipe off excess Vaseline before using.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Ziplock wouldn't hurt although I'm not sure what a desiccant would do. Isn't RTV solvent evaporative?

RTVs are usually moisture curing, so sealing from air/moisture should help it last longer.

I am always breaking or cracking the plastic cap. Then I have to poke a screwdriver thru the hardend plug in the tube opening. It doesn't ALL harden!

If someone made a steel or aluminum cap to fit the RTV tubes...I pay $20 for one!

I use a short length of adhesive aluminum tape (not silver colored duct tape). Wrap it around the plastic nozzle with a half inch or so beyond the tip. Pinch the tape so the adhesive seals with itself and then fold it over tightly. About the closest thing to a hermetic seal I've been able to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back