T6 in Outback 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

I would like to use this oil in my 2012 Outback 2.5. The book says I can use 5w40 or 5w30 for my temps but it requires SM. The question I have is that my 1 gallon jug says CJ-4/SM but my 2.5 gallon jug just says CK-4 with no mention of the S. Just looking for some knowledge on this before I change oil.

Thanks

The T6 will be fine. In fact, a lot of people with Subarus use T6
smile.gif

That is the EJ25 engine.. its widely believed a 40wt is preferred in those.

Use with Confidence.

The 1 gallon jug and 2.5 gallon jug are both 5w40. I don't think I have ever saw 0w40. Just wondering why the 2.5 is not rated S anymore. The 2.5 is newer, maybe shell changed it and it is no longer recommended for gas engines?

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
The 1 gallon jug and 2.5 gallon jug are both 5w40. I don't think I have ever saw 0w40. Just wondering why the 2.5 is not rated S anymore. The 2.5 is newer, maybe shell changed it and it is no longer recommended for gas engines?

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rotella-t6-0w40-diesel-engine-oil-5l/6000196535330

The 0W-40 formula was hard to get just a few years ago around here. I wanted to run it in my 4 stroke Yamaha snowmobile but I couldn't get it.
The other formula that was available at the time (5W-40?) didn't have a very cold pour point so I passed.

The new CK-4 T6 is not SN because of its phosphorous amount. It will be fine in your application. Widely used by Subaru owners.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
The new CK-4 T6 is not SN because of its phosphorous amount. It will be fine in your application. Widely used by Subaru owners who want to wreck their cats. .

I fixed it for you.
laugh.gif

The Shell Rotella Team has been advising against the use of Rotella T6 in gas cars with catalytic converters for many years. Rotella T6 doesn't even have an API gas rating anymore.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The new CK-4 T6 is not SN because of its phosphorous amount. It will be fine in your application. Widely used by Subaru owners who want to wreck their cats. .

I fixed it for you.
laugh.gif

Any proof of this? Just about every gasser European car on the road is using an oil (A3/B4) with phosphorous amounts approximating what’s in T6.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
The Shell Rotella Team has been advising against the use of Rotella T6 in gas cars with catalytic converters for many years. Rotella T6 doesn't even have an API gas rating anymore.

Shell says no such thing that I could find? Maybe its an urban myth of some sort, I really don't know?

"Shell Rotella® T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 performs extremely well in both diesel and gasoline engines, allowing mixed fleet customers to consolidate lubricants. T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30"

https://rotella.shell.com/products/full-...heavy-duty.html

Originally Posted By: irv

Shell says no such thing that I could find? Maybe its an urban myth of some sort, I really don't know?

"Shell Rotella® T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 performs extremely well in both diesel and gasoline engines, allowing mixed fleet customers to consolidate lubricants. T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30"

https://rotella.shell.com/products/full-...heavy-duty.html

The new Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W30 is the only T6 rated for gas and light-duty diesel vehicles. As for the regular T6 0W40/5W40...

Rotella is not recommended for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters due to the higher risk of damaging these emission controls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Rotella_T

"In reference to your query, please see below message from Shell Technical Team.
Thank you.
Hope this helps. For further assistance, please respond back to this email or call our Customer Service hotline and you will be assisted as soon as possible.
Sincerely,
Estefanie Rigor
Consumer Customer Service Team
Phone: 1-800-237-8645
Email: [email protected]

Dear Sir,
No Rotella Oils are recommended for use in gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters.
Regards,
Shell Technical"

"In reference to your query, please see below message from Shell Technical Team.
Thank you.
Hope this helps. For further assistance, please respond back to this email or call our Customer Service hotline and you will be assisted as soon as possible.
Sincerely,
Estefanie Rigor

Dear Sir,
No Rotella Oils are recommended for use in gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters.
Regards,
Shell Technical"

Interesting. Any idea how old that info is? I personally can't see them advertising it for use in gas engines if that were still the case today, especially without putting some sort of warning/advice about cars/vehicles with cats.

It just seems odd to me.

Interesting. Any idea how old that info is? I personally can't see them advertising it for use in gas engines if that were still the case today, especially without putting some sort of warning/advice about cars/vehicles with cats.

It just seems odd to me.

I think the fact that it lacks an API Sx rating is them stating that it is not intended for gas engines. For a while, a 40 weight could be above the API SN limits for phosphorous due to a waiver. That stopped. So rather than reduce phosphorous (like Delo and M1) to achieve SN rating, Shell decided to keep the full add-pack and have it be a diesel-only oil.

Most (if not all) A3/B4 5W-30s will be API SL due to high phosphorous, and those have been used in tens of millions of european cars for over a decade.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Estefanie Rigor

Dear Sir,
Regards,
Shell Technical"

It just seems odd to me.

That is a 2014 E-mail from Shell Technical to a car forum (Fiero) member. That restriction does not apply to the new Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W30. With that exception, Rotella oils no longer have an API gas rating, which means that they are intended for use in diesel vehicles only.

It just seems odd to me.

I think the fact that it lacks an API Sx rating is them stating that it is not intended for gas engines. For a while, a 40 weight could be above the API SN limits for phosphorous due to a waiver. That stopped. So rather than reduce phosphorous (like Delo and M1) to achieve SN rating, Shell decided to keep the full add-pack and have it be a diesel-only oil.

Most (if not all) A3/B4 5W-30s will be API SL due to high phosphorous, and those have been used in tens of millions of european cars for over a decade.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back