YES OR NO? PUP Dexos 1 Gen 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searched and search on this, and came up with gigantic thread after thread referencing links that no longer are active. Pennzoil documentation doesn't explicitly say Gen 2 (could be either or). So I ask the experts here, is it or is it not Dexos Gen 2? Reason I ask is Walmart is having a sale PUP, plus Pennzoil is running a rebate on 5 quart jugs.

No. Definitely not. They never reformulated the PUP to lower the calcium. They did do that with all their other oils (except euro-spec oils).
Its great oil if your engine is not a DI or turbo-DI.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
No. Definitely not. They never reformulated the PUP to lower the calcium. They did do that with all their other oils (except euro-spec oils).

Thanks! I have a turbo DI engine so Dexos Gen 2 is what I am looking for. You saved me from making a mistake.

Originally Posted By: jcartwright99

Thanks! I have a turbo DI engine so Dexos Gen 2 is what I am looking for. You saved me from making a mistake.

It's been said Pennzoil refuses to pay GM the 6 cents a bottle it costs them to put the Dexos label on their PUP bottles.
No idea how true that is, just what I remember reading here one time.

If your engine doesn't require or call for the D1G2 oil then the PUP will be more than fine but if you want to run Pennzoil, then consider the PP which does have the D1G2 certification.

PUP is D1 certified but I don't see it on the outside of the bottle/jug.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-ultra-platinum.html

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Poor PUP. Was and always will be neglected by SOPUS.

It was my personal fave, but without the Dexos1 Gen2 reformulation it's no longer relevant in a GDI/TGDI world.

Make sure the manufacturing date is May or after when you buy the new PP. Also the donut label API SN PLUS on the bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv

It's been said Pennzoil refuses to pay GM the 6 cents a bottle it costs them to put the Dexos label on their PUP bottles.
No idea how true that is, just what I remember reading here one time.

The volume isn't there, I've got PUP in Black Friday sales that was production date 3 years prior, so the effort to reformulate PUP or testing it just isn't worth it IMO.

For GDI / TGDI engines - If you like Pennzoil synthetic , please stick with Pennzoil Platinum DEXOS 1 Gen 2 in the applicable oil weight and you will do well !

Originally Posted By: jcartwright99

Go with Platinum or Mobil 1, both D1G2. PUP is old news, PP is probably already above it in quality due to that designation. SOPUS doesn't care about PUP is all I can figure. They should just ditch it and expand the PP line and signify things, gets some extended performance PP grades in there and more grades like a 0W-30 would be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back