Food for cats with kidney disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, dealing with the same issue for years. Male cat refused to eat the script food you listed.

Recently I went to Pet's Mart and looked at all available foods. Now, he is getting Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health formula. He loves it!

Purina Pro Plan focus urinary tract health formula

Just got more. It works well to rotate between the three flavors.

One other thing I have done for years is use pet fountain water bowl that keep water moving and the cats love it. I use filtered water and it is used a lot.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
OP, dealing with the same issue for years. Male cat refused to eat the script food you listed.

Recently I went to Pet's Mart and looked at all available foods. Now, he is getting Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health formula. He loves it!

One other thing I have done for years is use pet fountain water bowl that keep water moving and the cats love it. I use filtered water and it is used a lot.

Oh man...have you looked at the ingredients?

"Water Sufficient For Processing, Meat By-products, Chicken, Wheat Gluten, Corn Starch-modified, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Soy Flour, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Caramel Color, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source Of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodide, Biotin".

Cats are true carnivores and need a, primarily, protein diet made from fresh food ingredients, not "dead", rendered, extruded "food" (if you can call it that). If you feed a cat a dry "kibble" diet...your chances of having kidney failure are almost guaranteed during their lifetime.

The OP should find someone who is an expert at designing a balanced, high protein diet with fresh foods...not some pinhead veterinarian who just pimps some big brand "veterinary prescribed" diet.

Dr. Karen Becker is one such expert (https://amzn.to/2PgBhXe).

Ed

Ed, not my first choice. Eating some food is better than none. Quality of life is improved for both of us. Would not eat healthier alternatives. So in my situation it is working. At this point it is quality of life, not quantity.

Toward the end, my old cat stopped eating script food, I decided he could eat whatever he would eat. Eating something is better than eating nothing.

One of my Veterinarians graduated from Veterinary school in 1971. While in College at the University of Michigan, one of their research projects was to experiment with what ingredients to include in cat food to see if they could make it, in effect, addictive.

I'm confident that's why many cats and dogs do not like to change foods.

Ed

At this point he mostly wants to be petted. Food is secondary to that.

That's exactly what I did! The cat sat in my lap just about any time I sat down. My cat was a stray and ate rats when I first started trying to domesticate him, he never really chowed down cat food and would never eat people food like Thanksgiving turkey, steak, chicken, or tuna. Just do what you feel is right for the both of you!

From fifty years of owning cats I can advise you not to wait too long to have your cat euthanized. Cats can appear to be healthy when in reality they suffer from kidney failure. He/she will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge and together you cross over into eternity where there will be no suffering. Do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back