Norton ConnectSafe being shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I noticed the topic about Norton blocking BITOG and thought it prudent to note that their ConnectSafe (DNS) service that they'd been providing is due to be shuttered in November:

https://connectsafe.norton.com/

Originally Posted By: Norton
On November 15, 2018, Norton ConnectSafe service is being retired or discontinued meaning the service will no longer be available or supported. You may continue to use ConnectSafe until November 15, 2018. However, we do recommend that you take a moment to review important details related to this announcement below.

Not sure if it affects many, if any people on here, but thought it was worth mentioning.

You might want to take a look at OpenDNS.org I've used this for several years, their Home Free package allows for category blocking as well as phishing site blocking.

Originally Posted By: CoolShirtDude
You might want to take a look at OpenDNS.org I've used this for several years, their Home Free package allows for category blocking as well as phishing site blocking.

I've been using OpenDNS forever, this is more of a PSA for the board, in case anybody was using the service.

Norton in and of itself is a malware program that cannot be excised from your computer once installed.

Originally Posted By: sloinker
Norton in and of itself is a malware program that cannot be excised from your computer once installed.

Years ago this was true... but the past few years they put a lot of effort into making it faster, lighter, and more efficient. I get it free from Comcast and it works great. The few times I've tried uninstalling it on various computers I've never had a problem.

I use OpenDNS as well. It's good for keeping people from going to certain site categories, but not that useful for blocking malware/ransomware.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: sloinker

Years ago this was true... but the past few years they put a lot of effort into making it faster, lighter, and more efficient. I get it free from Comcast and it works great. The few times I've tried uninstalling it on various computers I've never had a problem.

I wouldn't know. When Symantec charged me full price automatically without my consent when the protection was available for half price everywhere I cancelled it. The giant hassle of inputting a half page of numbers/letters/characters to uninstall it. Getting pop-ups from Norton on a daily basis ,after uninstalling, to renew my protection indicated it wasn't actually fully gone from my pc. I have since made it my life's purpose to only buy bare PC's and laptops with the operating system on a separate source. No bloatware and definitely no Norton. I am happy with the bit defender and malwarebytes. (edit - mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back