Waxing every month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Originally Posted By: Delta
IMO, no. Wax as often as your arms can hold out!

Apply wax with a super soft pad on an orbital buffer. you'll never look back.

You'll use less product, which means it drys faster and is easier to remove. Inadditoin to the fact that you get more value out of your bottle / tub of wax.

best of all you don't get a sore arm
smile.gif

+1, even the cheapy 6" buffer at Walmart is better than doing it by hand. Put on the supplied foam bonnet then pour some of the liquid sealant on the pad. Spread with a plastic card (like a rewards card) so it goes on evenly. Or just use your finger. Go over entire car. Switch to the suppied microfiber bonnet for removal. Let the polisher and wax/sealant do the work.

A few more tips, wipe car down with ipa (rubbing alcohol) first before applying the sealant so the surface is squeaky clean. Then the sealant can bond to the paint better. Let sealant cure for 24 hours with no moisture. So put the car in the garage. Doing this should almost double the durability of the product. Have a detail coming up this weekend.

After every panel I'll take an old toothbrush and fluff up the mf bonnet while turning the machine on.

There is no problem waxing monthly if you have the time.

However, if you wax this frequently, I doubt you would do the entire process (wash, clay, polish, wax), yet over a month, some contaminants will stick to your previous wax, diminishing the effectiveness of your new coat of wax. This is an excellent case where you could use a cleaner wax.

Or you could do the entire process twice a year and then just use a spray wax after every wash.

I tried both methods over a few years, they both work well.

I would just do a wash using shampoo that has wax in it. For example I use Chemical Guys Extreme Body Wash & Wax. And you can use a spray on wax right before you dry the car. With the Collinite 845 when properly applied, twice a year should be plenty.

Once a month is too much in my opinion. Four to six times a year should be more than needed. Waxing that much increases the chance of accidental paint damage or swirl marks, and if the wax has mild cleaners in it that could open another can of worms if applied that often. I'm sure I'll catch some flames from avid detailers, but that goes with the turf.

Originally Posted By: Broo
There is no problem waxing monthly if you have the time.

However, if you wax this frequently, I doubt you would do the entire process (wash, clay, polish, wax), yet over a month, some contaminants will stick to your previous wax, diminishing the effectiveness of your new coat of wax. This is an excellent case where you could use a cleaner wax.

Or you could do the entire process twice a year and then just use a spray wax after every wash.

I tried both methods over a few years, they both work well.

Agree.

I disagree to an extent. I used to wax my S2000 monthly before it turned from a show car into a track car. If you're caring for your car enough to wax it that frequently and it's garaged, you've probably done some great surface prep and removed any swirls or marring. If that's the case, there's absolutely no reason to clay, polish, or use a cleaner wax; that much contamination will not build up in that interval. I'd clay or use a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad 1-2x/year but under no circumstances would I introduce abrasives via polish unless it was absolutely necessary (I'd never use cleaner wax, it's a half-measure).

Originally Posted By: vavavroom
Over the course of many years, it's possible to abrade the clearcoat and the basecoat. I often see classic cars with worn down to the primer single stage paint because of too much love and care. If you avoid abrasive polishes and use instead a clay bar, waxing a very clean should not damage any finish for a long long time. I myself am lazy and don't need either the exercise nor the showroom shine. I use a synthetic sealant that lasts up to a year with weekly bucket, soapy water and sponge and some sometimes a touchless drive-thru carwash.

The trick is to only use a polish once, and then not reintroducing scratches on the clear coat. If you keep using abrasive products, then the clear coat will eventually be worn off...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Once a month is too much in my opinion. Four to six times a year should be more than needed. Waxing that much increases the chance of accidental paint damage or swirl marks, and if the wax has mild cleaners in it that could open another can of worms if applied that often. I'm sure I'll catch some flames from avid detailers, but that goes with the turf.

IMO, 4 to 6 times a year is too much. Using a good sealer wax, like Collonite 845 or 476, will easily last 6 months. Using a quick detailer will not only add to the Collonite protection, but will also keep the paint looking freshly waxed...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

IMO, 4 to 6 times a year is too much. Using a good sealer wax, like Collonite 845 or 476, will easily last 6 months. Using a quick detailer will not only add to the Collonite protection, but will also keep the paint looking freshly waxed...

Yes, sometimes less is better. Let me clear things up a bit. I usually shoot for two coats before the winter sets in, and two coats in the spring. No more than a few days apart, with another wash first. If I feel ambitious I might toss another coat on it before the summer, or if we get a warm spell in the winter. As I get older I am less ambitious. Even when I was young and full of energy I'd never wax a car once a month.

Originally Posted By: wdn
I would just do a wash using shampoo that has wax in it. For example I use Chemical Guys Extreme Body Wash & Wax. And you can use a spray on wax right before you dry the car. With the Collinite 845 when properly applied, twice a year should be plenty.

I agree. Especially if you don't drive an exotic vehicle.

I have 3 categories of vehicles, each gets a different level of treatment. My '04 Corolla has 350K miles and is lucky to still be running. It gets washed whenever it rains, and is never waxed. My wife's Sienna is newer (a 2015 model), and we would like to keep it nice for as long as possible, so it get's the full detailing treatment twice a year (it is also garaged). My Corvette will be a toy that only gets driven on nice days and will partake in the local drive-ins on a regular basis. It will be treated as a museum piece. It will be detailed every time it's driven, and probably waxed 3 or 4 times a year, with lots of quick detailing in between. Although I will take it on road trips, it will be garage kept and spotless all the time...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I have 3 categories of vehicles, each gets a different level of treatment. My '04 Corolla has 350K miles and is lucky to still be running. It gets washed whenever it rains, and is never waxed. My wife's Sienna is newer (a 2015 model), and we would like to keep it nice for as long as possible, so it get's the full detailing treatment twice a year (it is also garaged). My Corvette will be a toy that only gets driven on nice days and will partake in the local drive-ins on a regular basis. It will be treated as a museum piece. It will be detailed every time it's driven, and probably waxed 3 or 4 times a year, with lots of quick detailing in between. Although I will take it on road trips, it will be garage kept and spotless all the time...

I like your style and 3-tiered system. Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back