Old School Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen them referred to as "pizza-cutters." It's basically just a reference to a higher-profile tire, like 80 or more. I know low-profile and big wheels are all the rage, but I need something practical for my old Dodge pickup. I have had no luck finding something in a narrower light truck tire at a minimum overall diameter of 34". That is what this particular truck needs to run it's 4.10 gears at an acceptable highway speed. It's running 285/75 17's now, which are perfect, except a bit too wide, IMO. In fact, that is why I went wider than I wanted 5 years ago - because I couldn't find the size I really wanted. I found a narrower P-metric mud tire a few years ago I'm presently using for a spare, but they seem to have disappeared from the market now as well. Anybody know anyone still making an LT tire in something like an 80 or 85 profile for a 17" wheel?.

Originally Posted By: andyd
235/75/17 LT would be narrower and only a bit shorter

Waaaay too small. That size is barely 31" tall. I need 34", minimum. I'd like 35. What I need is like a 265/80-17. Nothing like that exists, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Changing the overall gear ratio either with the rear, or overdrive trans might be a better option in the long run.

When I purchased my F150 brand-new-used the previous owner had put on 235/85r17 in a Cooper Discoverer H/T. Perhaps they have similar sizes for smaller wheels?

That Cokertire site had a few interesting options in bias tube-type tires, but nothing that will fit my 8" width wheels. Looks like the 255-80/17 size is going to have to be "close enough."

Thanks gents!

They make a 34 /10.50R17 but its very pricy.

bfg at k/o2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
They make a 34 /10.50R17 but its very pricy.

bfg at k/o2

Yes, this looks like what I want - should be about an inch narrower than the 285LT's but still almost as tall at 33.5".

Thanks Rand!

Originally Posted By: Traction
Changing the overall gear ratio either with the rear, or overdrive trans might be a better option in the long run.

Been down that road already. Truck has a GV OD unit. Mated to the 4.10's, it makes for an awesome combo with the grunt to pull a house down and still travel on the highway at acceptable RPM, as long as the tires are at least around 34" tall. It's a tricky compromise, but I have it right where I want it as long as I can find tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back