Steve Perry has a new song out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Just wow. He is almost 70 years old and still has the pipes. He has a great voice, one of the absolute very best in rock music. He has been through a lot in the last 20 years and I am very glad to see and hear him singing again. The single sounds great and the complete album, called Traces is due out on October 5.

Wow! I thought he was out of the business for good. Great to see he's coming out with new stuff, and that his voice is as good as ever. I'll have to check the album out.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
His voice sounds familiar, but I cant place him unless I Google him which I wont.

Perhaps this will help. IMHO, one of, if not their best, songs:

..or this one, IMHO one of the best rock ballads out there, and probably my favorite. Really shows off the control and range he has.

He and the rest of Journey must have had a MASSIVE falling out-he sounds pretty good considering most of Journey's best music was around 40 years ago!! I thought I heard his voice was shot-that's not bad at all!

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
He and the rest of Journey must have had a MASSIVE falling out-he sounds pretty good considering most of Journey's best music was around 40 years ago!! I thought I heard his voice was shot-that's not bad at all!

His mother was gravely ill around the time they started recording "Raised on Radio" and died during the recording. He got worn out/burned out due to his resulting travel schedule, and so this caused some strain.

He then broke his hip a couple years later while hiking in Hawaii, and found out he had a degenerative bone disease which required hip surgery, which he wanted to hold off for personal reasons. In 1998, the band basically gave him an ultimatum, get the surgery or they'd replace him as singer. This caused a major rift between him and the rest of the band and so he quit the band permanently.

Journey is one of my all time favorite groups, and Steve Perry is a great singer. While I do not really care for much of anything they did after the Escape album in 1981, their last album with Steve, Trial By Fire is excellent.

This song really captures and showcases Steve's vocal range and control, it is probably my favorite Steve Perry solo song. His album For The Love Of Strange Medicine has a live version recorded in San Francisco in 1994 that is just amazing.

Wow he sounds pretty good.

I saw a video a couple years ago of him trying to sing, and it was absolutely terrible. Was such a shame.

But maybe he's had surgery on his vocal cords or something?

What a voice! Glad to hear he is back recording. I watched the HOF induction. It was very good and he spoke highly of everyone in the band despite the rift.

Class act!
cheers3.gif

I think it was in the show "Behind The Music" which showed Steve had run out of options and had a job cleaning chicken coops when he got "the notice" to try out/join Journey. Talk about a turnaround!

He does sound good. One of the best rock band front men in my opinion. It is funny that the current singer of Journey sounds so much like him.

Last edited:
Saw Journey years ago. Steve stood at the front of the stage and went through all their hits. Excellent. He co- wrote most of their hits so even if they're on tour with out him he gets paid. Nice big monthly royalty checks.

It's formula, and reminds me heavily of this one..

edit, but yes, he's held it together very very well for a long time.

Last edited:
It's good to see these old rockers still having the stuff. So many of them lose it as they age. Have any of you heard Lou Gramm from Foreigner lately? I would stop signing publically if I sounded as bad as he does. It's got to be life altering for these guys who had such great pipes when they were younger losing their ability to sing. It's good Steve Perry's still got it...

Yes, Lou(from my hometown) has/had battled cancer and the chemotherapy really hurt his voice. It's not often that a singer can keep their voice as Tony Bennett has at this age. Tony is remarkable at over 90 yrs old.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, Lou(from my hometown) has/had battled cancer and the chemotherapy really hurt his voice. It's not often that a singer can keep their voice as Tony Bennett has at this age. Tony is remarkable at over 90 yrs old.

Tony is still amazing, but he never was a belter like Gramm or Perry (different music styles)...it's much more difficult to still be able to hit those high notes when you get older...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back