PennzPlat 0W-20 mix/5890 mi./2017 Pentastar 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mix was 4 qt. 0W-20 PP and 2 qt. 5W-30 PP (all non-D1G2), hopefully to apx. 8.9 cSt @ 100°C.

Nothing I am overly concerned with. Looks like I should be good to go for a 7,500 mi. interval.

Due to high fuel dilution problems, I'd definitely go with pure 5w30, not 0w20. It thins out too much, and viscosity's role is to support separation of parts under hydrodynamic conditions. If it was me, with that much fuel dilution, I'd put in the Chrysler SRT-recommended Pennzoil 0w40, that has a ton of moly in it and it will thin down to a 20 weight here in about 5,000 miles or so, and you can leave that in for 7,500 miles which is more practical.

Iron: Likely too much, although we need the "Universal Average" for this particular engine to be sure. Somewhere in BobIsTheOilGuy is Blackstone's numbers for this fleet average.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I thought the Pentastars had port injection? Fuel dilution is pretty high.
Port, yes. Its like the rings aren't seating properly in the new engine, or a cylinder bore or two is out of round. Maybe it will get better after a few more miles, its possible. ... Or, a fuel injector has a slight leak.

Last edited:
Actually, I didn't think dilution was all that worrisome compared to where it has registered in the past (hopefully the direction will continue) and considering viscosity is holding up pretty good. It is my wife's daily commuter (10 miles each way) so I attribute dilution to the frequency of cold starts it must necessarily make and resulting lack of extended operation at temperature.

Another lab probably would have given it the customary
In any case, it is way better dilution numbers that her previous two cars, one having a GM HFV6 w/DI, the other a MB I4 Turbo w/DI.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
... Iron: Likely too much, although we need the "Universal Average" for this particular engine to be sure. Somewhere in BobIsTheOilGuy is Blackstone's numbers for this fleet average.

I tracked some Blackstone reports down from here and other sites to discover this:

Report.....Univ.........Miles
Year........Avg..........Usage

2014......17 ppm.......4800
2015......20 ppm.......5500
2017......18 ppm.......7000

(Miles usage is what Blackstone said in the report their averages were based on.)

25 ppm at ~6000 miles doesn't seem outside of an acceptable range to me.

Last edited:
doyall, Iron wasn't bad then. And your KV100 viscosity was above 7 cSt, which for me is about as low as I think one should go in 0w20 applications to protect the parts well. No big issues here. If fuel dilutionn gets better, as the current trend seems to indicate, then maybe the rings just took forever to seat properly. It certainly might be due to 10 miles each run though. .... All that said, and its mostly educated guesses, in southern AL you could use a full syn 5w30, any brand you find, and run it 7,500 miles or 6 months a run. My thoughts above to use Pennz Ultra 0w40 (SRT high-moly oil) would be good if you wanted to make sure. One thing about 0w40 oils is that they use thin base oils like 0w20 oils do, and will naturally lose some viscosity over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back