Valvoline Full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

S2K

Did a search and have found very little on Valvoline. Have used M-1 and PP but wondered about the lack of love for Valvoline Full Synthetic?

Its good oil. It uses titanium as an AW/FM additive, and is considered very good. dexos1 Gen2, so high performance specs.

They spend their marketing differently. They are fine and they are on rebates a lot (which is why I use it often). They are also NAPA synthetic so you can get it cheap when on sale if you have NAPA nearby.

no problems here

c0mgecE.png

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
They spend their marketing differently. They are fine and they are on rebates a lot (which is why I use it often). They are also NAPA synthetic so you can get it cheap when on sale if you have NAPA nearby.

I agree that Valvoline products are fine stuff and so is Valvoline-made NAPA Synthetic, but the formulations of SynPower and NAPA Syn are not the same.

Valvoline doesn’t market itself like Mobil or Shell. With that said though it is a top seller in the industry. The oil itself is top notch and is just as good as the big boys.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I agree that Valvoline products are fine stuff and so is Valvoline-made NAPA Synthetic, but the formulations of SynPower and NAPA Syn are not the same.

Interesting, I remember reading on the forums that said they are (or at least at one point) the same formula. Thanks for correcting me.

Last edited:

Interesting, I remember reading on the forums that said they are (or at least at one point) the same formula. Thanks for correcting me.

This is correct. While Valvoline does blend the NAPA synthetic, it is not the same as Valvoline Advanced Synthetic.

Exactly right PimTac.

Not the same. One cool thing I learned here recently... Sunoco oil made by Valvoline.. that explained why Sunoco Ultra full synthetic ran really well in my Altima 3.5 VQ.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Exactly right PimTac.

Not the same. One cool thing I learned here recently... Sunoco oil made by Valvoline.. that explained why Sunoco Ultra full synthetic ran really well in my Altima 3.5 VQ.

Sunoco must be a east coast thing, I’ve never seen one in my area. Reading on their website I see they had the dial a Matic octane feature on their pumps way back when. We used to have a Hancock station with that similar setup though it was not used at the time. I used that station during the gas rationing period in the 70’s.

Yeah PimTac Sunoco is an East coast deal. They are located in Philadelphia.

I like their gas has well. The oil can be had from Petroleum Service Center. 12 qt case is $40 for the decision full synthetic. Interesting note.... The additive package looked rather similar to Valvoline Advanced full synthetic.

I don't like the sodium add pack Valvoline use ... Doesn't tend to play well with an oil analysis from Blackstone as it can appear as a coolant leak .

+1.

I just posted two UOAs that document the change in formulation.

I've got some Valvoline Advanced FS on deck for an oil change on my 2005 Tacoma V6 that's ran Mobil 1 FS since almost new. Will see if I can tell any difference in engine sound or how it feels when driving.

Everything I own has Valvoline Synthetic in it Except the Torino and the Honda bike, which have Amsoil. All my junk runs fantastic.

It's typically more expensive than M1 and PP is why. Great oil but not necessarily worth the extra few bucks over the others.

Hey ChrisD46... Sodium AND potassium are needed to verify a coolant leak in many instances.

There may well be a coolant that doesn't use potassium. But I'd bet they are few and far in between.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back