Relaxing music = increased livestock production?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my all-time favorite motivation speakers, the late Zig Ziglar, says he and his Mom used to sing to their cows every day when they milked. Zig said he and his Mom made money when he was a child by taking "average" milk-producing cows and caring for them so well, as to include singing to them, etc., that the cows production was reliably increased. At that point, they re-sold the cows for more money based upon their "new" increased production.

I've heard this before that the production of animals, whether cows, chickens, etc., will increase if/when the animals are relaxed, happy, etc.

I'm curious if any of you have experienced this, first-hand? Are there any documented studies that support this idea/concept or do you think it's a bunch of hooey?

Ed

We have two shelters for the horses. One shelter is in the barn where music plays 24/7 off the satellite dish.

The horses always use/prefer the barn shelter where the music is played despite a further trip to the pasture or food compared to the other shelter.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
... I've heard this before that the production of animals, whether cows, chickens, etc., will increase if/when the animals are relaxed, happy, etc.

I'm curious if any of you have experienced this, first-hand? Are there any documented studies that support this idea/concept or do you think it's a bunch of hooey? ...
Yes, I remember reading of a supposedly statistically sound investigation of that effect years ago. Milk cows preferred Mozart. (I don't know about horses.) Sorry, I can't quote the source.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
We have two shelters for the horses. One shelter is in the barn where music plays 24/7 off the satellite dish.

The horses always use/prefer the barn shelter where the music is played despite a further trip to the pasture or food compared to the other shelter.
Horses have rythm !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back