Your Favorite Oil.... give us your Top 3.... Everyone Play!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Harley-Davidson 103" FLHT

1.) Mystik J8 15w50
2.) M1 15w50
3.) Valvoline VR1 20w50

Now days I generally run a Frankenblend of 2 parts Mystik/1 part M1.

Too early to tell on my 2016 Triumph 800 Tiger XCx. With a season and half left on warranty, I've been running Castrol 10w40 Partial syn/full syn blend to satisfy OEM warranty requirements. After that, I'll likely go the Mystik/M1 route too...

Last edited:
Year: 2009
Make: Kawasaki
Model: KLR650
Miles: 21,400
Shared Sump: YES
Typical OCI: 2000 miles

#1......
Oil Brand: Shell Rotella T6
Oil Viscosity: 5W-40

#2......
Oil Brand: Shell Rotella T4
Oil Viscosity: 15W-40

#3......
Oil Brand: Motorcraft Deisel

Mostly Rotella T4, with a couple of changes using Motorcraft. Last oil change moved to Rotella T6, may expand the OCI to 3000 miles.

BigJohn said:
Year: 2016 (bought summer 2017)
Make: Moto Guzzi
Model: Stelvio NTX 1200 (1151cc air cooled v-twin)
Miles: 4000
Shared Sump: NO
Typical OCI: 6200 miles

#1......
Oil Brand: ENI (formerly branded as AGIP)
Oil Viscosity: 10W60

2013 HD Softail Blackline and 2012 Sportster with 1250 kit both get M1 15w-50

1980 Yamaha XS650, 1982 Suzuki Gs300L, and 1980 Suzuki GS550l get Rotella 15w-40.

All my motorcycles have used Redline synthetic oils with great results.

2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Redline 10w-40 synthetic

2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited

Redline 20w-50 synthetic

2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental

Redline 10w-40

Year: 2014
Make: Yamaha
Model: Super Tenere 1200
Miles: 6,000
Shared Sump: YES

Typical OCI: 5,000 miles

#1......
Oil Brand: Shell Rotella T4

#2......
Oil Brand: Delvac 1300

#3......
Oil Brand: Delo 400

I have tried a few synthetic 5w-40's in various shared sump bikes, including this one, over of the years. All of them gave notchy shifting feel after 1,500 miles or so. 15w-40 keeps the shifting buttery smooth all the way out to 5,000 miles.

Bike: who cares... They're all internal combustion engine

Oil: Mobil 1 in everything. $12 rebate and $22-27 for a fiver (or gallon if it's diesel)

Is it the best oil? I don't care. The OEM oils are all mehhh anyways. And the engine will last for over 100k miles on any old conventional. So the who knows how much PAO Mobil works just fine.

Slap a nice synthetic car filter you got for half the price of OEM junk and call it a day!!!

PS
Most bikes get junked/sold before the oil is an issue.

Year: 2017 2009
Make: Harley Harley
Model: Road Glide Ultra Dyna SuperGlide
Miles: 14,900 6800
Shared Sump: no no
OCI: Every 5000 miles with factory oil filter

Oil Schaeffer's Extreme Vtwin Plus 20w-50
Engine, Primary

Supreme Gear Lube 75w-90
Transmission

I have run this oil in my last three Harleys and have never had any oil related issues.

I own a 2002 Softail Deuce (14k miles) and an '07 Ultra Classic (26k miles).

Redline V-Twin in the Softail
Mobil 1 V-Twin in the Ultra Classic

Both with OEM chrome Harley filters.
OCI for both 5,000 miles
Redline shockproof in the Transmissions
Harley Primary fluid in both

Last edited:
Being a motorcycle oil thread... I hope folks realize Pennzoil does not make a motorcycle oil to my knowledge and I can’t think of any bike calling for a 5w-20!

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Mystik 15w50 Jt8 Diesel oil (a Citgo product) as recommended by the manufacturer of my bike. (if I dont use the bike makers oil)

I only use the above as no other 50 weight diesel oil on the USA market as far as I know and I have posted excellent UOAs on it in the past.

If I didnt have a bike that required diesel oil I would choose Valvoline or Castrol motorcycle oil conventional or syn, doesnt matter.

Buying expensive boutique oils is NOT going to make your engine last longer and is not going to make up for the failings of the engine maker.
Its the design of the engine NOT the oil.

which manufacturer recommended the Mystik?

Just curious, the Mystik oil is readily available to me at a nearby store. I normally use Rotella 15w40 or Mobil Delvac 15w40, and recently decided to try some Amalie 20w50 in my dad's Royal star, but Its nice to have other options

Alarmguy, has stated several times that Harley recommends diesel oil can be used in a Harley's motor, if their oil isn't available. Harley also recommend's it be changed out as soon as possible. He has been using it primarily as his motor oil, without any noticeable problems. I guess it shows any oil that is close to what the mfgr recommends for use in their product, will do the job. Any oil is better then no oil.,,,

My 1987 BMW R65 has Penrite VTwin 20w-50 at the moment. It's done 122,000km and no shared sump. Next time I'm going for a mono 30.

The 1974 Moto Guzzi Stornello 160, which has less than 20,000km and has a shared sump is on a mono 30.

!987 Honda TLR200 running Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
Mystik 15w50 Jt8 Diesel oil (a Citgo product) as recommended by the manufacturer of my bike. (if I dont use the bike makers oil)

I only use the above as no other 50 weight diesel oil on the USA market as far as I know and I have posted excellent UOAs on it in the past.

If I didnt have a bike that required diesel oil I would choose Valvoline or Castrol motorcycle oil conventional or syn, doesnt matter.

Buying expensive boutique oils is NOT going to make your engine last longer and is not going to make up for the failings of the engine maker.

Just curious, the Mystik oil is readily available to me at a nearby store. I normally use Rotella 15w40 or Mobil Delvac 15w40, and recently decided to try some Amalie 20w50 in my dad's Royal star, but Its nice to have other options

Ahhh .... yes, I saw the way my post read and its not correct.
The manufacturer of my bike Harley Davidson does not recommend any brand of oil other then their own, they do not recommend Mystik. Once I posted that I can see how it can be read wrong. Might have past the time to edit it I cant remember.

Harley ONLY recommends their oil but they say, if unavailable use a diesel oil and change back to their oil ASAP.
I use Mystik because it is a diesel oil and its a 15/50 diesel oil which is almost impossible to find in the USA.
I have posted almost countless UOAs and VOAs on this oil in this forum since 2014.

Im happy with the results, love the way the engine sounds and runs and the only oil I use.
I know for fact the Harley oil is formulated like a diesel oil as others have posted UOA and VOA on this oil. On top of that, Mystik is made by the same company that makes Harley oil - Citgo.
I suspect Harley is concerned with piston and valve deposits and that is the reason for the HDEO type formulation.

Harleys first preference is 20/50 weight oil, followed by the 40s and I ride in HOT weather, I would never go lower then a 50 even though the Mystik is slightly lighter then their 20/50 its much more robust then any 15/40 or 10/40 ,.

Last edited:
1. Olive Oil - 2002 Chevy Avalanche (only the best)
2. Peanut Oil - 2003 PT Cruiser (good enough for it)
3. Canola Oil - 2009 Honda Metropolitan Scooter (it'll run on anything)

The mowers get Aldi's vegetable oil, or whatever is on sale that week.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder

Ahhh .... yes, I saw the way my post read and its not correct.
The manufacturer of my bike Harley Davidson does not recommend any brand of oil other then their own, they do not recommend Mystik. Once I posted that I can see how it can be read wrong. Might have past the time to edit it I cant remember.

Harley ONLY recommends their oil but they say, if unavailable use a diesel oil and change back to their oil ASAP.
I use Mystik because it is a diesel oil and its a 15/50 diesel oil which is almost impossible to find in the USA.
I have posted almost countless UOAs and VOAs on this oil in this forum since 2014.

Im happy with the results, love the way the engine sounds and runs and the only oil I use.
I know for fact the Harley oil is formulated like a diesel oil as others have posted UOA and VOA on this oil. On top of that, Mystik is made by the same company that makes Harley oil - Citgo.
I suspect Harley is concerned with piston and valve deposits and that is the reason for the HDEO type formulation.

Harleys first preference is 20/50 weight oil, followed by the 40s and I ride in HOT weather, I would never go lower then a 50 even though the Mystik is slightly lighter then their 20/50 its much more robust then any 15/40 or 10/40 ,.

from what I've heard is that Citgo also makes the highly regarded Yamalube oils

97 Harley Sportster 1200c

Castrol 20W-50 GTX. Old tech motor gets old tech oil
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back