Your favourite seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Did Selle Italia RE-re-issue the Turbo?

I've had those, but like you preferred the Unica Buffalo suede saddle more, and was upset when it was no longer available.
I liked it because when climbing in the saddle, on the tops, I moved all the way to the back of the seat, and the dropped, rounded back corners of the Unica did NOT dig into me like the square corners of the Turbo, Concor, etc. did.

They do still make them, last i saw in black and tan. There have been many iterations. I particularly like the old Turbomatic with the elastomer in the rail.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
The seat in my 2002 protege and 85 rx7 are actually really comfortable on long rides, at least for what a seat can be. My 1996 ford Ranger, is literally the least comfortable seat I have ever had the displeasure of sitting in.

I think Overkill is talking about Bicycle seats.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The seat in my 2002 protege and 85 rx7 are actually really comfortable on long rides, at least for what a seat can be. My 1996 ford Ranger, is literally the least comfortable seat I have ever had the displeasure of sitting in.

This is the bicycle sub forum bud
wink.gif
As was noted, I'm asking about BICYCLE seats, LOL!

Wasn't even paying atteniton. Worth a good laugh!

Originally Posted By: JC1

I think Overkill is talking about Bicycle seats.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This is the bicycle sub forum bud
wink.gif
As was noted, I'm asking about BICYCLE seats, LOL!

Wasn't even paying atteniton. Worth a good laugh!

Those might be good suggestions for a recumbent bike though!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Don't the B17s have to be broken in with LOTS of saddle soap/oil, and rolling a steel bar across the top or such, or am I still living in 1971, (the last time I had one on a road bike)?
21.gif

Probably. It used to be quite popular to torture your Brooks saddle by slathering it with goop, beating it up, and even throwing it in the oven.
I don't think that's necessary, and probably it shortens the effective life of the saddle.
Brooks (and Ideale) used to offer (and I believe Brooks still does offer) a "pre-broken in" saddle with softened leather. I'd get the regular and break it in myself, just we used to do with blue jeans back when they were still as a board new.
In my opinion, the primary comfort of the B-17 (it's 17 cm wide, hence the name) comes from the shape and width. It's pretty comfortable right out of the box. It quickly custom molds to your sit bones though, and the leather becomes more pliant.
They're good. I like them. But not as much as some Selle Italia saddles whose frames flex more than a Brooks. Of course, it's highly personal.

Specalized phenom in your size
I have 4 of them

padded shorts make them even better
troy lee designs shorts with the liner makes that seat incredible

People who dont really ride think fat seats are the way to go, but narrow is where its at.
you should go get measured at the bike shop

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 853okg
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Don't the B17s have to be broken in with LOTS of saddle soap/oil, and rolling a steel bar across the top or such, or am I still living in 1971, (the last time I had one on a road bike)?
21.gif

Probably. It used to be quite popular to torture your Brooks saddle by slathering it with goop, beating it up, and even throwing it in the oven.
I don't think that's necessary, and probably it shortens the effective life of the saddle.
Brooks (and Ideale) used to offer (and I believe Brooks still does offer) a "pre-broken in" saddle with softened leather. I'd get the regular and break it in myself, just we used to do with blue jeans back when they were still as a board new.
In my opinion, the primary comfort of the B-17 (it's 17 cm wide, hence the name) comes from the shape and width. It's pretty comfortable right out of the box. It quickly custom molds to your sit bones though, and the leather becomes more pliant.
They're good. I like them. But not as much as some Selle Italia saddles whose frames flex more than a Brooks. Of course, it's highly personal.

The pre-broken in ones came about well AFTER I starting riding/racing seriously in 1970.

The other drawback is weight (IF that matters at all to someone), as even though (I'm guessing?) they are making/offering these with hollow titanium rails now, they are still heavy as compared to most other options.

Titanium rails (not hollow) AND frame are offered. Still a boat anchor. And nose bleed expensive.
I don't know if you recall the old Ideale, but it came with flat aluminum rails that required a special seat post clamp.
I really think Brooks should make a saddle from shell cordovan and 6/4 ti. They could easily sell it for over a thousand bucks. I'd guess $1,500. Make a couple dozen.
I remember they made a ti version (limited edition) of swallows. I sold a number of them, every one I bought.
My opinion: something crazy happened in the last 20 or so years. Let's say between 1980 and now. (Actually, the author Charles Murray addresses this in his book Coming Apart, which examines 1962 through 2012.)
Where once we, as a society, sort of universally recognized a line beyond which we would not tread, now there is no limit. So, sticking with bicycles, we had the technology years ago to make much lighter or stronger bicycles. (Or even functionally superior bicycles if one were willing to attempt to defy certain arbitrary standards.) But the cost was deemed too much. Today, with the existence of thousand dollar handlebars, there is no such thing as "too much."
Again, sticking with bicycles, I can tell you that it's made being a mechanic a losing proposition, as far as the tools that must be acquired, and the speed with which they become obsolete.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 853okg
Titanium rails (not hollow) AND frame are offered. Still a boat anchor. And nose bleed expensive.
I don't know if you recall the old Ideale, but it came with flat aluminum rails that required a special seat post clamp.
I really think Brooks should make a saddle from shell cordovan and 6/4 ti. They could easily sell it for over a thousand bucks. I'd guess $1,500. Make a couple dozen.
I remember they made a ti version (limited edition) of swallows. I sold a number of them, every one I bought.
My opinion: something crazy happened in the last 20 or so years. Let's say between 1980 and now. (Actually, the author Charles Murray addresses this in his book Coming Apart, which examines 1962 through 2012.)
Where once we, as a society, sort of universally recognized a line beyond which we would not tread, now there is no limit. So, sticking with bicycles, we had the technology years ago to make much lighter or stronger bicycles. (Or even functionally superior bicycles if one were willing to attempt to defy certain arbitrary standards.) But the cost was deemed too much. Today, with the existence of thousand dollar handlebars, there is no such thing as "too much."
Again, sticking with bicycles, I can tell you that it's made being a mechanic a losing proposition, as far as the tools that must be acquired, and the speed with which they become obsolete.

I remember, before there were the Swallow model, riders were cutting down the sides of their B17s to that profile themselves (maybe what prompted Brooks to do it as their own model?).

Besides the cost, (at least as far as the racing side goes, which let's face it, kind of dictates the form of the WHOLE sport), the sometimes draconian UCI rules also hindered, and held back a lot of the tech which might have been (and still does as far as lowest possible weight, and frame geometry goes).

I have had this seat on all my bicycles for more than 20 years. When I first read about different types of bicycle seats in my early 20's, I became alarmed to an issue that could affect me as I was looking at years of riding ahead of me. All men who avidly ride bicycles young and old but especially in their younger years should be looking at complications of conventional bicycle seats on the male anatomy. Younger men think I feel fine, there are no issues....sure currently. There can be delayed but cumulative effects that you do not want.

I was fortunate and addressed the potential problem way before it had a chance to start. Be informed and take the appropriate action.

I remember, before there were the Swallow model, riders were cutting down the sides of their B17s to that profile themselves (maybe what prompted Brooks to do it as their own model?).

Besides the cost, (at least as far as the racing side goes, which let's face it, kind of dictates the form of the WHOLE sport), the sometimes draconian UCI rules also hindered, and held back a lot of the tech which might have been (and still does as far as lowest possible weight, and frame geometry goes). [/quote]

The original Swallow came out in the 30s. I think 36, but I could be wrong. The UCI is completely inscrutable to me. Dedicated time trial bikes, IMO, seem like the stupidest thing imaginable.

The Brooks Swallow seat looks so uncomfortable and painful...yikes!

I had to look up the UCI standards and...it is completely ridiculous indeed. I would never get that serious about riding that I would have to subject myself to those rules.

Check out this link: http://www.uci.ch/inside-uci/rules-and-regulations/equipment-165067/

I like how the RFEC logo actually looks like someone in the riding position suffering from pronounced pelvic pain from the seat.

My favorite seat? Depends!

Seat Octavia
Third row from the rear, the middle seat at the theater
Aisle seat, tail section on the plane
The recliner at home
The Recaro in my car
Anything but the hot seat, really

I've been riding on Bontrager Race Lite Lux seats for about a decade now. Great balance of fit, comfort and weight. Too bad they have long since been discontinued. Not sure what I'll do when this one either needs replacing or I build a new bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back