Might trade my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Trucks are fun, but at least here in PA you see a lot of rusty 5+ year old trucks.

I sold mine. Could not justify having it when it was only used for its intended purpose (Hauling Stuff) less than a dozen times a year.

Our Jeep can still handle a lot of smaller hauling, and if needed I'll rent a truck for $20. I got a few acres.

I thought I would use it more, but that was not the case. Not a fan of using a truck as a daily driver anymore either.

Everyone around here has one tho, and most sit in the driveway all day long. It's a thing these days I guess.

That is a huge reason why I am hesitant to switch. My '11 is starting to age a little but its been fluid filmed every year for a while now and has little if any rust.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Originally Posted By: buck91
So I am *considering* trading my 2011 F150 supercab 4x4 5.0L 6.5ft bed for something with 4 real doors. The goal being to acquire the 4 real door cab, otherwise I am very happy (now) with my F150. I feel like I have worked out all the peculiar kinks to my model/year and have the necessary, mild, mods to make it what I want (leveled, 33in tires, posi rear, ok stereo, tonneau, bedliner). It has been VERY well maintained and just turned 100k.

At the risks it overtly entails, I'd like ot see some honest thoughts about Going with another Ford vs a Dodge; Chevy isn't off the table but it lacks the visceral appeal to me. FWIW, I will start with Ford. My main attraction is that I know their platforms and product line well both as a buyer and a DIY mechanic. What I find unattractive about Ford is the multiple various nuances and problems my F150 is known for.

You've got it how you want it....unless you have a need for 4 doors (like insta-family or kids growing up) then keep it!

That said though, agree with getting a '13 or '14.

Well, yeah. Wife is early with our third (one's grown) so I will need more room to fit them plus the dogs. I can get away with the supercab but it will get a little tight and I'll loose a lot of leg room if I run a car seat behind my drivers seat.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Do yourself a favor and definitely see the all new 2019 Ram.

Car & Driver called it "The Bentley of trucks"

US News ranks it #1

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/full-size-pickup-trucks

thumbsup2.gif
That's what I'd be spending my money on.

The new Ram is just spectacular. If things go well, I will buy a 2020 Ram in the next year or two.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
What about a Tundra? I'm certainly not Toyota's biggest fan but the 5.7L & Aisin 6-speed is a proven drivetrain.

My brother bought a 2018 "1794" Tundra 4 months ago & it's a really nice truck!

I feel compelled to second that.

Genuine 4 door. Luxurious seating in back. No “issues” to be worked out. Solid, reliable truck but, I’ll caution, thirsty...

I wouldn’t trade my Tundra for any new truck on the market.
I agree i love my 2017 Tundra.Totally happy that i bought it after alot of reading and watching ,like a years worth b4 i decided to buy it.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
So I am *considering* trading my 2011 F150 supercab 4x4 5.0L 6.5ft bed for something with 4 real doors. The goal being to acquire the 4 real door cab, otherwise I am very happy (now) with my F150. I feel like I have worked out all the peculiar kinks to my model/year and have the necessary, mild, mods to make it what I want (leveled, 33in tires, posi rear, ok stereo, tonneau, bedliner). It has been VERY well maintained and just turned 100k.

At the risks it overtly entails, I'd like ot see some honest thoughts about Going with another Ford vs a Dodge; Chevy isn't off the table but it lacks the visceral appeal to me. FWIW, I will start with Ford. My main attraction is that I know their platforms and product line well both as a buyer and a DIY mechanic. What I find unattractive about Ford is the multiple various nuances and problems my F150 is known for.

You've got it how you want it....unless you have a need for 4 doors (like insta-family or kids growing up) then keep it!

That said though, agree with getting a '13 or '14.

Well, yeah. Wife is early with our third (one's grown) so I will need more room to fit them plus the dogs. I can get away with the supercab but it will get a little tight and I'll lose a lot of leg room if I run a car seat behind my drivers seat.

thumbsup2.gif
I hear ya!

Bought a F150 XLT supercrew Sport pretty loaded up (for an XLT) 4.5 months ago. Currently has 3500 miles, changed factory fill at 2500 miles. BLIS, 302A pckg, Connect which allows remote start from a phone, navigation, tow package, and a couple other things. Got the V8 because... it is a truck so it should have a V8. Drove a 2018 Ram midnight edition and thought it drove heavy and was worried about the reputation of Rams rusting, especially under rear wheel wells. Did not consider Toyota due to it being ancient and poor MPG. Titan... no. GM crew cabs are made in Mexico and that mattered to me, plus I did not want a DI engine and associated valve deposits. I like the looks of Chevy the best. The 2019 Ram looks great, not sure if there are any decent deals on them yet.

The 5.0 Coyote has great power and is smooth. I get 23+ MPG at 55 mph, and about 20 at 70 mph. For Ford, the 2018 5.0 V8 and 2017+ ecoboost engines are dual injected. I have the 3.55 axle ratio, 3.31 would be better mpg but not as good for towing.

Have had a couple problems. The 10 speed shifted poorly, but a TCM update from a TSB I found fixed that mostly. Battery developed a bad cell and had to be replaced. Cup holders squeaked so I took it in and it is the plastic trim that goes over and around the whole center console that flexes and squeaks. After taking it off and putting it back on the noise seems gone, but the dealer is ordering a new part anyway.

There are a couple engine noises that I am not too worried about that seem common and will probably eventually have TSBs issued. PM me if you want and I will send links to a couple threads on the F150 forum where yhey are discussed.

It tows great. Love the big and flat back seat. Ford cheaped out by not including climate control in the XLT, nor auto 4WD or brake controller ($275 add-on) as part of the tow package. I would buy again.

If I were truck shopping today a Ridgeline would be on top
of my list.
Number two would be an F-150 4x4 with a RamBox bed on it!
Had a F-150 rental and the cargo tie downs were not
very useful.

i'll back the tundra more. 2007 crewmax, 165k, 11 years, with the 5.7. Would not get anything else, but will admit hope they come out with a redesign by 2020.

I would imagine the aluminum body is unlikely to have severe corrosion issues. That alone makes a Ford a good choice up North.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
i'll back the tundra more. 2007 crewmax, 165k, 11 years, with the 5.7. Would not get anything else, but will admit hope they come out with a redesign by 2020.

In terms of reliability, I too think the Tundra would be the best choice. I have been pleased with mine thus far.

So I am *considering* trading my 2011 F150 supercab 4x4 5.0L 6.5ft bed for something with 4 real doors. The goal being to acquire the 4 real door cab, otherwise I am very happy (now) with my F150..

Sorry if I missed it, but what does real doors mean? Crew cab? My Ram quad cab has 4 real doors, but the rear seating isn't so real compared to a crew cab.

FWIW, I'm thrilled with the Ram in my sig if that helps.

I say keep what you got. You would probably never get out of it what you put in. As others mentioned, unless you need the larger cab for kids or something of that nature, keep your truck.

I had a quad cab Ram 1500, while we could make it work with kids, it was painful to use child seats in the back or for adults to sit in there for long trips. So I went to the absolute end of the spectrum now with the Megacab and love it.

Looking at crew cab to facilitate child seats in the back. My wife can do with one behind the passenger seat but one behind me just eats up too much leg room for my 6’3” self.

Then yes, upgrade!! It is painful and as the kids grow, your need for a back seat will too. It was not only uncomfortable but I would say unsafe to have the front seats jammed up so far that you are [censored] near hugging the steering wheel.

I think the crew cabs have a slightly better slope to them, which is critical in safely attaching child seats. They are way more solid. Once the kids are in forward facing car seats you need lots of room still because their legs are too short to bend over the seat edge and stick out.

Like I had said previously, we went to the extreme opposite and got the Megacab. No way I was going to upgrade the truck again as the kids grow. Just watch the little brats try and kick the front seats now!!

Found a nicely loaded and nicely priced 2013 suburban 15000 locally that is VERY tempting. Any thoughts on these vehicles? Other than than the specs on its 5.3 looking a little dated...

I drove around quite a few Tahoe's of that generation and they were a great vehicle. They got decent mileage and they had enough power for what they were.

If I had to upgrade my Tb today, I would look at a used Tahoe of that vintage.

My fiance' bought a new 2017 F150 4x4 Supercrew in July of 17 but it only has 3,600 miles on it since she mostly drives her chevy cavalier commuter car. Obviously no problems to report other than after I changed the oil at the one year mark, It had a loud tapping noise on the driver's side of the engine for a couple of minutes the first time the engine was started a week or so after the oil was changed. I used Motorcraft 5w-20 oil and a Motorcraft oil filter so I'm not sure what that was about. She has the 5.0L V8. It never did that with the original oil fill, even after sitting for a long time before starting it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back