2017 Chrysler Pacifica 9 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica with 29,000 miles. As many of you may be aware there have been a lot of “question marks” regarding this 9 speed transmission. I actually had mine at the dealer due to hard shifting and a recall for that issue and it is fine now. They reprogrammed the TCM and reset all the shift points and it shifts perfect now. However, there is one thing I notice and I’m hoping to maybe hear from someone else who is familiar with this vehicle or owns one. Basically what it is doing is at any speed, I hear a THUMP sound a split second after I step on the accelerator and I hear the same thing a split second after I take my foot off the accelerator. As I said, the shifting is fine and is not clunky and I can’t feel anything either. The dealership drove it and documented the sound as they heard it, and stated there is nothing wrong based on the fact that other Pacificas are doing it. To me that’s like saying, “well this guy has cancer, must be normal since other people have cancer to”. The dealer did say they think it is the transmission solenoid but they act like they don’t know for sure. I understand it has a spring mechanism and the solenoid is run hydraulically. So could that be what I am hearing? Sometimes the thump sound is louder than other times and it does it at any speed. I realize that just talking about it here does not truly diagnose an issue, but looking for opinions or insight to this. Also, I've already been on Chrysler forums and find out nothing.

-Mark

Last edited:
I don't know much about that drivetrain, but throttle on/off transition bumps can be engine or transmission mounts, cv axles or suspension issues.

I've had all mounts both engine and transmission and suspension and all related parts checked and they are fine.

I suppose it could be anything. I apologize but I'm not sure what the torgue converter is. And if its making that thump sound, is it normal?

The TC connects the engine to the transmission. When you take your foot off the gas the TC may unlock and when you put foot back on the gas to accelerate it may lock up again.

Take it somewhere else for an evaluation. Most noises like that are not what I consider normal. However w/o actually hearing it and driving it making any kind of diagnosis is tough.

Question.... did it do this before the reprogramming? If it did it before the tune there might be something wrong with it. If it's new it's just poor programming. Wait for yet another update.

When I heard the redesign of my current ride would include an 8-spd tranny from FCA I ran out and leased the existing model. By the time the lease runs out they might have figured out the problem lol! Sure enough people are having issues with the shift quality and it may takes several updates before they get it right.

Chrysler minivans still having transmission problems
27.gif

Yes, it did this both before and after my TCM update. A friend of mine even rented one on vacation and said even he could hear a click/thump sound every time he stepped on or off the gas and thought it was a solenoid. That's what the dealer told me also. I guess I'm ok with it if a solenoid can make that sound. Normally you don't, but have any of you experienced some that do make that sound and are operating normally?

My friend’s Town and Country minivan had a sudden, catastrophic transmission failure while he was on family vacation out of state. The van was 300 miles beyond the powertrain warranty. He never got a dime out of Chrysler. Of course that company no longer exists now it is FIAT.

the problem with that is that it's a sealed system only accessible by a dealership. supposedly you never change the fluid. wow...what a great way to sell more cars...let's not make the trans serviceable. lol

The transmission in my 15 grand caravan is supposedly sealed for life too, yet I was able to exchange all the fluid via the intercooler line in about 20 minutes. The new Pacifica is probably bit different, but I have not encountered a truly sealed transmission yet.
I suggest you check out chryslerminivan forums, wealth of info there and they may have a member that did the ATF already on their Pacifica.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back