Electrical Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
A friend sent me this picture...

pNNw1sZ.jpg

Classic.....
I would guess the threads give a better grip.

That is really scary.

At least they used copper wiring.

I hope your insurance is paid up. Any idea who installed it, other than home owner.

Rod

I used to work on gas meters for the local power company. " Inner city " gas and electrical modifications were a hoot. The locals would pull the electric meter and use jumper cables to reconnect the power. They also used bits of flattened copper pipe to bridge across the meter contacts. Removing the gas meter and bridging the gap with a piece of radiator hose was also done. The gas was regulated down to about one PSI so this usually worked.

One time I went to an auto repair shop in a high drug and murder area. I told the owner that I needed to work on the gas meter. He told me to wait one and could be heard rummaging around in a back room. He comes out of the back room carrying the gas meter! He seemed annoyed that I had to report what I found.

Scary area but good times and stories :)

When I bought my '85 F-250, someone had crudely installed a second battery in the engine bay. Their solution to hooking the rather heavy gauge (+) and (-) wires from the two batteries in parallel was to use hose clamps, exactly like the picture shown above. Then the hose clamp was wrapped in electrical tape about a thousand times. I suppose it worked, but I wasted no time in removing it!

Good Lord! And according to the tags, thats a commercial building. The paper tag says hershey ice cream freezer. Imagine some kid leaning up against the freezer choosing ice cream and getting electrocuted!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I saw that posted on r/electricians on Reddit. So funny.

Ok that makes sense. A friend sent it to me, who said a friend sent it to him. We think it's a joke...I don't see why the hose clamps are on the hots, but at least the one on the threaded rod neutral is functional. The paper tags inside the box are just more candy...and the random electrical tape hanging off to the right...
confused2.gif

We got a good laugh out of it, so it seemed like a good post for the humor section here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back