Lets see those relays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done one relay harness before and while it functions well its hardly a professional installation. Looking to see some DIY pics from other headlight relay install for instpiration to make my truck's relay harness a better overall outcome. Ideally, I plan on a three relay set up; two low beam relays (for left:right isolation and redundancy) and one for the high beams. I want to mount these vertically, and I've seen some very nice rely power distribution DIY set ups on youtube, but not sure how/where something like that would fit in my engine bay... Especially if I am trying to minimize wire run lengths.

Don't have. A pic, but you can buy pretty nice premodern relay assemblies in Amazon/eBay. I just cut, add a new connector at the end, and shrink wrap as necessary.

What is necessitating this job? Are you adding lights to each circuit?

Your truck can't handle its headlights? Just trying to understand what you're doing. Cheers

to run HIDS? If so, I ran 2 relays, 1 to power the ballasts (both off the same relay) and 1 to control the hi/low beam operation. I just used generic relays and wired them IAW the diagrams on them. I think I paid 10 bucks for a pack of 10 of the relays with connectors and pigtails (maybe 8 inches long), from fleabay.

So this is where I’m at so far. I do have all my wire ready to start building the harness (16/18ga for the control circuits and 12ga for the power and ground circuits). Very simple manifold fabbed for the relays to mount to but should turn out worlds nicer than just sticking them where ever.

Hard to take a picture of the only one I had to do in my girl's PT, but it was a straight plug and play kit for LED headlights. Single relay, which is fine for LEDs. No issues, and the relay suitable dupes the CANBUS system into thinking all is right in the world.

All done, sort of. Kind of upset that I ended up using some bad info, though. I intended to run completely independent left and right low beams for redundancy with a common high beam circuit. Based off multiple H13 diagrams I found online got everything wired up and working great. During basic testing and debugging I discovered the high beams are running off the dual independent relays while the low beams are on the common circuit. Probably not the end of the world and I am sure the 12awg isn’t sweating much voltage loss I’m just not 100% satisfied. Between the extra redudno and the fact I only need or use low beams 99.9% of the time I might just have to scoop up some of the heavy duty sockets from candlepower store. I’ll tell you what, though, those high beams are significantly brighter! Factory wiring was definitely a bottleneck; eyeball gauge calls it 22awg...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back