Waxing every month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any issue waxing monthly a car that is always parked outside and battling the elements?

Not at all and in fact this is where the wax as you dry concept would work nicely. Use a spray wax as you dry.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Not at all and in fact this is where the wax as you dry concept would work nicely. Use a spray wax as you dry.

This^

There could be negative consequences. If you are not meticulous about using proper procedures and supplies, you could be introducing lots of micro scratches into the paint. Then, you begin the next phase of the regime and decide that you have to do paint correction and remove some of the clear coat. I'm sure others will chime in with other possible negatives to waxing monthly.

I'm just the opposite in my methods. I believe that the less you touch/manipulate the paint, the better condition it will remain. I only detail my vehicle twice a year (spring/fall) and I wash it only occasionally. Mine sits outside 24/7 also.

Fortunately, we are all free to choose our own course.

I do a full "proper wax" on my Fusion only about once every 4-6 months. The rest is just a regular 'top-off' each time I wash (or at least almost each time.. about 1 out of ever 5 washes doesn't get the top-off. To top-off, I use either Megs D156, Eagle-One wax-as-u-dry, or Eagle-one spray wax. Keeps the beading up, and keeps the shine up. Also, keeps the paint looking good.

Doing a full wax of your car every month seems like overkill, IMHO, unless you're using a wax with really bad longevity, or you're in an area with bad acid rain.

do you "wax" because you enjoy it, or because you think it's the best protection for your car? if it's the latter, then get a sealant or a ceramic coating.

if you simply enjoy waxing, have at it.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
There could be negative consequences. If you are not meticulous about using proper procedures and supplies, you could be introducing lots of micro scratches into the paint. Then, you begin the next phase of the regime and decide that you have to do paint correction and remove some of the clear coat. I'm sure others will chime in with other possible negatives to waxing monthly.

I'm just the opposite in my methods. I believe that the less you touch/manipulate the paint, the better condition it will remain. I only detail my vehicle twice a year (spring/fall) and I wash it only occasionally. Mine sits outside 24/7 also.

Fortunately, we are all free to choose our own course.

+1

I've tried a couple of waxing regimes in the northeast for cars always left outside. I keep them under trees to avoid UV effects. Just have to be more careful about rinsing off organics and bird poo a few times each week.

1. No waxing on a 22K mile car - by the time I sold it 8 yrs later with 230K miles and mechanically hurting, the paint had no shine...but fully intact. No rust. For that car, it didn't affect the value.

2. Same exact model car as before, this time went 9 yrs, washing or rinsing about monthly, and waxing 2X per year. That paint stayed very nice for a 16 yr old car when it was sold this year. Once the generic wax stops beading up well, it's about time for a 6 month application (May, Nov). Never used polish, buffers, clay bars, or anything beyond a towel and a cleaner wax.

I now stick with regimen #2.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Do ceramic coating and forget about waxing for a year

Unless you value the high gloss of a freshly waxed finish, then you'd want to supplement your ceramic with another LSP. Maybe in a couple years the coating technology will allow both durability and shine.

Nothing wrong, but as others said, you could induce marring if done with less than stellar tools or technique.

ID recommend one of the SiO2 mist on/spray off protective coatings, because they also protect in books and crannies that you can’t wax.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Originally Posted By: parshisa
Do ceramic coating and forget about waxing for a year

Unless you value the high gloss of a freshly waxed finish, then you'd want to supplement your ceramic with another LSP. Maybe in a couple years the coating technology will allow both durability and shine.

I have to say that I’m impressed with McKees 37 Hydro blue over CQuartz UK for both. Marked improvement over HydrO2, looks glossy and feels smooth.

Over the course of many years, it's possible to abrade the clearcoat and the basecoat. I often see classic cars with worn down to the primer single stage paint because of too much love and care. If you avoid abrasive polishes and use instead a clay bar, waxing a very clean should not damage any finish for a long long time. I myself am lazy and don't need either the exercise nor the showroom shine. I use a synthetic sealant that lasts up to a year with weekly bucket, soapy water and sponge and some sometimes a touchless drive-thru carwash.

Personally, as time always seems to be an issue, I wax just twice a year using Collinites 845 Insulator wax. It's a favorite on here and most agree it lasts months.
2 times works for me in the spring and fall.

I haven't used sealants yet nor wax as you dry products so I can't comment on those but I do know a lot of folks on here like those products as well.

One of many threads about it.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4784288/Collinite_#845#Post4784288

Last edited:
YEARS ago, in the late 80s, I worked in a large funeral home as an all-around grunt. Part of my routine included washing and waxing 4 hearses, 3 limousines about a half dozen Buick LeSabre lead cars and a couple of body vans. Thankfully I was much younger and more nimble then, but that was a lot of waxing! Once I got a good "base" it became relatively easy to keep the cars looking good and I hit them about once a week with a coat of old school green tub Turtle Wax.

I truly doubt it hurt anything and it sure made the cars easy to keep clean...dirt just fell off.

Originally Posted By: Delta
IMO, no. Wax as often as your arms can hold out!

Apply wax with a super soft pad on an orbital buffer. you'll never look back.

You'll use less product, which means it drys faster and is easier to remove. Inadditoin to the fact that you get more value out of your bottle / tub of wax.

best of all you don't get a sore arm
smile.gif

Jordan

I run my car through an automatic wash almost every 2 days and my wife does the same thing. I only wax the Jeep and the Civic about once a year and they look great. All you are doing is waxing the clear coat but it doesn't hurt anything but collects more dust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back