2015 Accord CVT Filter Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I nuts for wanting to change my CVT trans filter (strainer in Honda parlance)?

I have done this on my other non-CVT cars, and with a 15k d/f and a Magnefine inline they work great.

Is there anything fundamentally different about a CVT that it wouldn't benefit from dropping the pan and putting a new strainer in it? Here's a diagram if it helps. Strainer Assy (CVT)

There is also a heat exchanger filter that looks pretty easy to change. Not sure if this worth it as long as the strainer does it's thing.

If it wasn't for the heat exchanger that directly links to the engine via coolant lines I would just throw a Magnefine on it, do my d/f, and be on my merry way. But it's a tough pill to swallow having a dirty strainer down there and just d/f, unless there is a good reason not to.

-Steve

Although I haven't changed the CVT fluid in my Altima yet, I don't think you will do wrong in dropping the pan and changing the strainer though I think they can go much longer.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'd leave it alone and not touch it.

Agreed. CVT’s don’t generate the same wear materials as a geared automatic.

There is no need to replace it. Just do regular fluid changes with quality CVT fluid such as Castrol
smile.gif

The only CVT "filter" I ever did was on a Mitsubishi. It had one small bit of swarf on it. No gunk of any kind. It was a stainless steel screen.

The fluid, at 115K, was the color of dark maple syrup.

Assuming the Honda CVT has a pan (unlike their regular AT) It would always make me feel better to drop the pan to wipe the metallic goop off the magnet, but like said, the more important thing is to refresh the fluid. The screens tend to be huge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Strainer = 'rock catcher'. Pointless to replace.

That was my first curiosity. Is it really like a mesh strainer, or is the wording just off and it’s truly a media type filter??

If media Id think about life and pressure drop. If a mesh, I wouldn’t.

I'll have to Dr. Strangelove this and get used to my new reality of only drain and fills. I'm sure after a few I'll be just tickled that it's so easy.

Thanks all!

-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back