Food for cats with kidney disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely there has to be something other than Hills or Royal Canin. Anything homemade that would be good? Irritating that you have to have a prescription for these big name foods. Mine doesn't really like any of them so far either.

Last edited:
You should probably check on a website intended for animals. I assume feeding your cat oil, which is what the experts here are versed in, will likely result in an even quicker demise for your feline.

Maybe ask a veterinarian?

Cats are obviously meat eaters, but protein is hard on the kidneys. That's why there are speciality foods for cats with kidney problems. You also should increase your cat's fluid intake. Feed mostly wet food and a lot of water. Since sodium increases blood pressure and thus aggravates kidney disease, low sodium food is indicated.

Ask your Vet about Benazepril...

Lowers blood pressure, kidneys work better.

Cheap, on the Wal-Mart drug plan, $4 for 30 pills..

Half a 5 milligram tablet daily...

Hard part is getting in the cat...

Vet writes prescription, you take it to the drugstore to be filled.
Ask them to cut it in half, pills are tiny...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazepril

Another tool is a diabetic pen, filled with saline, not insulin.
Grab cat by scruff, press pen to scruff, shoot some saline in.
Very hard to find saline pens, however...

Last edited:
DAD'S Original Dry Cat Food, my former boss (both retired) swears by this for cats with medical issues, and she is the biggest cat lover I have ever met.

I have to ask why your trying to keep a pet alive that has a disease that's not easily curable?

It's been my observation the people keep older/diseased pets alive per medical intervention out of there own selfishness....And IGNORE the animals quality of life.

I'm a dog lover through & through that has had numerous Pit Bull Terriers. I've had 7 of them put down since I was a kid, (Technically my Dad put down the first 2)

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Hard part is getting in the cat...

I have had good success hiding pills in a hollowed-out Greenie treat. Handfeed it so you know the cat ate it.

Wet cat food is a great start, unless you already do that. Pretty sure Hills science diet has options but not cheap..cut out all dry treats and dry food

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I have to ask why your trying to keep a pet alive that has a disease that's not easily curable?

It's been my observation the people keep older/diseased pets alive per medical intervention out of there own selfishness....And IGNORE the animals quality of life.

I'm a dog lover through & through that has had numerous Pit Bull Terriers. I've had 7 of them put down since I was a kid, (Technically my Dad put down the first 2)

Depends on the quality of life being extended.

The cat has been to the vet, and is actually in the early stages of kidney disease. I have a prescription, but so far, the two brands the vet carries, he doesn't like. I was asking about different brands, and maybe something I didnt have to depend on the vet to get, as they have botched the food order twice now. He's actually in good spirits, you really wouldn't know he had an issue, other than drinking a lot of water.

Thank you to those that offered helpful responses. I suspect had I owned a dog, I would have gotten more sympathetic answers. I love the way no matter what forum one can go on, one can ask a question in the off-topic/general section, and get the smart(edit - mod) response, that they should go to a forum specific to whatever topic you asked about. Sometimes it's about getting different opinions/experiences....I've asked on 4 different cat forums, not one person mentioned Dads cat food, nor Benazepril.

I've seen so many questions in this forum over my 12 years here, from computers, to climate change,food,to people venting about the loss of their pets, and 93 other topics that have absolutely nothing that have to do with motors, or oil....and somehow, without fail, someone has to chime in with an unhelpful, sarcastic answer, instead of just scrolling on by...

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago we had a cat with this disease. They need an intake with as much moisture as possible. Cut out the dry food if possible and go to wet food. We also tried flavored water so she would drink more. There really is not a cure and its what you want to put the animal through. We really didn't know much and tried to keep her alive. They even did an IV to help flush her. We did this once and then I realized this is no good for the cat or us. I asked the doctor if it would be cruel to put her down and the doctor said theres no cure was sympathetic to us but agreed that that is the best route. I held my girl while the doctor put her to sleep. Very hard even 15 years later but it is your duty to your pet. Good luck to you.

My male cat has the problem too...strange that it is a male cat issue, but female human too. He is on catrophene injections and Hills dry cat food. Due to me not being able to get him to the vet (need to take time off work, and have a new job) and the cost of Hills, he hasn't been getting either. I have him on wet food, he seems happy and is getting fat. Stress is the cause of these problems, so he has to be happy. We have outdoor cats here, indoor and kitty litter is not how cats live. So, this time of year the Toms are roaming, and he has to man up and deal with them, a stressful time. Just when I feel he is on top of this problem, one of my daughters may be moving back in...with her cat. Cats are loners, another cat brings stress, and it all starts over again.

Water is a key element, make sure there's plenty of fresh water available for him/her to drink. Secondly, skip the commercially available food - switch him/her to a high moisture raw diet. Raw salmon, crab, tuna and poultry are also good options beside red meat. The key is low phosphate, low sodium, natural fatty acids and high levels of vitamin B. Have some plants around for him/her to eat - catnip, valerian, cat thyme, spider plants, honeysuckle to name a few.

You could try weaning off one food while introducing another new food= both foods on the plate at same time, reducing the old food, increasing the new food. Often its the only way besides starving an animal till they eat the new food if your strong enough to watch your animal not eat for days. I have done it both ways, weaning works better!

I had an elderly male that lived with renal for just about 2 years. Check his teeth really good! and make sure he always has clean fresh water. I feed mine Royal Canin, he didn't really like it.
I never heard about a prescription for the food, but I know everyone at the vet, I think I have paid for part of the building.

Good info on that site, I did give my cat IV fluids under the skin for maybe 9 months. If your cat gets dehydrated and it is not the end time, fluids will help him feel a lot better and you can get used to administering fluid under the skin at home, but that would be much later sounds like.

If you have to take your cat to the vet and he has anxiety, ask the vet if trazodone,zanex, or Gabapentin would be ok to give to the cat for any follow up vet visits. It does help.

Try to always feed them wet food, dry has too little water content (10%). Low phos, low protein is usually what's recommended, although some think you don't need to restrict protein. Stay away from fish as it's usually high in phos. Check for a book by Anitra Frazier or Richard Pitcairn, they both have recipes for crf.

Our dog had fairly advanced kidney disease at age 15. We did an $800 chemical kidney flush over several days. The dog snapped right back like he was pup again. We changed the diet to include more natural foods with nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants....carrots, broccoli, and whenever veggies he would eat. I even put in a daily clove of garlic. Things went smoothly for around 20 months with a high quality of life and up to mile long walks. But things then started slowing down again. It really didn't get bad until the last few days when he couldn't hardly walk or stand for extended periods. We knew it was time. Oddly, the Vet predicted back when he was a 1 yr old stray that he would pass early by age 8-12 due to parasites he picked up on the run. He got 17 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back