Premium Gas Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Surprisingly premium here is now 40 cents more at my local stations as opposed to 70-80 cents many years prior. And thats 93 octane. Regular here is $2.75-$2.79
I said I'd never own another car that takes premium but at this price it's not so bad.

Citgo here has 20 cents off Tuesday's as well on premium.
Sunoco regular rate is 40 cents more-my local one at least.

I think I paid about $3.80 per gallon here in Silicon Valley.
Sometimes I use mid-grade. Car is a 2013 GS350.

Last edited:
You are lucky there my friend... Here it's still 70 cents more for 93. It is what it is. I bet at some point in the distant future minimum gasoline octane at sea level will be 89-90 and high octane 95-96. But that is a ways off I'd bet.

If you buy a new gas powered car 10 years from now, it wont be using 87 octane. GM and other auto makers are pushing to get rid of 87 octane
as it's holding back better engine designs and Joe Q public wants to buy a $48K SUV and run the cheapest gas possible.

And according to my dad, JC Whitney once sold a special gas funnel allowing you to fill up your cat equipped car with cheaper leaded fuel.
Dumb idea.

All my cars use regular, but I've noticed the price difference varies depending on the station. My dad 's car uses premium and he says that Costco is usually the best place for him.

About $4.30 USD per gallon equivalent here for premium. Be happy with the prices you have.
lol.gif

($3.64 USD per gallon equivalent for regular)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If you buy a new gas powered car 10 years from now, it wont be using 87 octane. GM and other auto makers are pushing to get rid of 87 octane
as it's holding back better engine designs and Joe Q public wants to buy a $48K SUV and run the cheapest gas possible.

On 5 cent off Fridays we have people from surrounding states drive 10-20 miles
To get it. Why?? lol

On average, premium is 60 cents higher than regular around here. We're right at $2.59 a gallon for regular, $3.19 or so at most places for premium. My '96 Maxima uses premium, so I'm always on the lookout for a gas station whose premium is closer to regular unleaded. It's getting harder and harder to find a good deal.

I went on vacation to the east coast a couple weeks ago, we went up to Quebec while we were there. Gas prices were something like 114 cents per liter! I won't complain about gas prices anymore.

Premium is a complete waste of money for most owners. I have never used Premium fuel in any of my V8 engines and have kept vehicles for 300K miles. My buddy does Uber and uses only 87 regular in his 2015 6.2 Escalade and it runs perfectly fine. He now has over 200K miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
...My buddy does Uber and uses only 87 regular in his 2015 6.2 Escalade...

200K+ miles in his '15 Escalade = remunerative gig that Uber.

$3.79 here today.

I paid $3.34 for 91 octane E0 at my local Holiday station. Several places near me sell E0, I actively seek it out and use it, wherever I am.

Regular: $2.79
Premium: $3.24-$3.33 according to GasBuddy.com, varying between 91 and 93 octane (most here carry 91, BP and Shell often have 92-93).

I don't mind paying an extra penny to dime for E0.

Everything in my garage requires premium except the Wrangler, as I see it you have to pay to play- and I'm okay with that...

From what I've read, they just want us to get on par with Europe/Australia. Make the new "regular" 95RON
without getting into the boring maths to do the conversions with the octane rating systems, that works out to about a 91(M+R)/2 basically making what is now considered "premium" the new "regular"

http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
I remember when each grade was a dime apart.

87: 1.19
89: 1.29
93: 1.39

Right? Whatever happened to that price category?

$0.62 cent upcharge for Premium 93 over 87 at my fav Shell gas station down the street. I use the rewards and stack up $0.15-$0.30 cents off per gallon, so I pay for premium what others pay for mid grade. I'm fine with paying regular price if need be. This is what the car requires. If you can't afford it, buy a grocery getter that takes regular.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
I remember when each grade was a dime apart.

87: 1.19
89: 1.29
93: 1.39

Right? Whatever happened to that price category?

A ten cent differential is still common in the more rural areas of the western states. A fifteen to twenty cent differential started to show up this year in the metro areas. Currently diesel is commonly priced between regular and mid grade.

Ed

If you buy a new gas powered car 10 years from now, it wont be using 87 octane. GM and other auto makers are pushing to get rid of 87 octane as it's holding back better engine designs and Joe Q public wants to buy a $48K SUV and run the cheapest gas possible.

That's the truth. With the newer engines that are completely computer controlled, you can get away with using 87 Octane and not hurt anything. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the best choice. Years ago if you used too low of an octane fuel, your engine would start knocking and pinging loud enough to sound like a Jamaican steel drum band.

Today the computer immediately senses it, and detunes the engine to prevent that from happening. So in that regard you can safely use 87. But most of the owners manuals that come with the higher performance V-8 engines tell you that for, "best engine performance" use a higher octane fuel.

I don't drive enough for the cost to matter. And I want my HEMI V-8 to perform at it's best. So I use 91 Premium. Paying an extra $3K for a V-8, then turning around and burning cheap gas in it which limits it's performance, seems like false economy to me. I'll save money elsewhere. And the fact the manufacturers are pushing to get rid of 87 speaks volumes in itself. It's holding back both efficiency and performance, and forcing them to design lower performance engines because it limits the parameters they can build to. People use it because it's cheaper, period. It offers nothing else except for the fact you can get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back