Remove tape adhesive from upholstery

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one of my great intellectual moments I left a roll of 3M duct tape on its side on my seat, for several weeks, in the summer, in Florida, Parked outside.
What is the best way to remove this?
I haven’t even tried yet, these types of things end up making a bigger mess when you don’t know what the helll you’re doing.

I'm thinking naptha there. I'd test on a non visible area of the seat. Also test on a piece of the duct tape to see if it removes the adhesive.

I think MEK would do it but probably not good for the fabric.

You could let the car get good and hot in the sun, and when warm take a cool piece of duct tape and blot it. See if the adhesive will stick back to a piece of duct tape. Try this first.

Keep sticking tape down, then pulling it up.

Your other option is to stick a roll on all four seats and the headrests so it looks like a factory design!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
My wife bought some stuff called GooGone to get chewing gum out of the kids clothes and it is an amazing product. In addition to the chewing gum use, I've used it to get tar off my car and coincidentally, to remove tape residue from doors and windows. The stuff just melts away gum based materials. It does leave a citrus oil residue behind but the residue is easily removed with just dishwashing detergent and water. Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: Lou_Boyle
My wife bought some stuff called GooGone to get chewing gum out of the kids clothes and it is an amazing product. In addition to the chewing gum use, I've used it to get tar off my car and coincidentally, to remove tape residue from doors and windows. The stuff just melts away gum based materials. It does leave a citrus oil residue behind but the residue is easily removed with just dishwashing detergent and water. Good Luck.

+1 on the goo gone. Try that first. It will take some effort to remove. Get a cheap stiff bristle brush to work it into the seat.

I would take it to a local automotive upholstery shop and let them take a look at it. They will either do it for you, or else recommend a specialized product that won't damage or stain your upholstery. They might even have a piece of similar or identical fabric to test it on. They deal with stuff like this all the time, and know what they're doing.

That to me seems like a better choice than taking advice from a bunch of well meaning guys who are just guessing.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I would take it to a local automotive upholstery shop and let them take a look at it. They will either do it for you, or else recommend a specialized product that won't damage or stain your upholstery. They might even have a piece of similar or identical fabric to test it on. They deal with stuff like this all the time, and know what they're doing.

That to me seems like a better choice than taking advice from a bunch of well meaning guys who are just guessing.

Maybe in some shops. The ones near me are no help in a situation like this. I had an issue with a leather seat scratch. The answer at the shops near me were ; " We don't know, we just replace upholstery, we can replace the seat cover for $400.

Worth a try, but don't assume upholstery shops know about cleaning.

Last edited:
Maybe try to pull up the adhesive with the duct tape that made the mess. Maybe park in the sun to get the goo hot but use room temperature tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back