What disturbs/angers you while driving?

Another pet peeve of mine is passing and then going slow. We'll include an odd event last night. Was waiting at a stop light and there was a couple cars behind me. Take off and the truck behind me is going slow so I get ahead pretty good. All of a sudden in my mirror is a car getting right close to my bumper, from the light pattern it looks like a newer GTI. Car infront of me turns and I accelerate (not too fast, I was in the S10) and they're still behind me close, but not on my bumper atleast. We get to a small village and the speed limit drops. Get through that and get to the faster zone. Just as I start getting up to speed racer boy flogs it around me, turns out it's a mid 00's Lancer, not even an Evolution. 4 or 5 miles down the road I catch up to them and they proceed to slow way down so I'd pass. I know for a fact I wouldn't get enough speed to pass. This continues through the next town till almost the foot of the mountain where they drop to 30 in a 40. I'm a little ticked off at the point, but as soon as we get to the edge of the mountain boy racer speeds off. Idiot. Wish I woulda been in my GTI at this point...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
1. Left lane hoggers
2. Slowing down traffic by driving below speed limit
3. Not using turn signals

I will just add texting. Texting is allowed at red lights in stupid Florida. I feel like I am in a road library at a red light as everyone [I mean everyone] is texting at the red light so when the light turns green nobody moves so the 2nd person in line at the light gets stuck at the same long red light again. It is bad enough vehicles in Florida do not come with turn signals.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Bumper humpers annoy me the most (tail-gaters). Especially I'm driving 10 - 15 over the posted limit and they fly up on my arse at a much faster speed and hitch up like a trailer.

People act like the social contract that exists when folks are on foot does not apply when in vehicles. People never run up behind me, clip my heels, and blow breath on my back at the gym running track but somehow the vehicular equivalent of that is acceptable behavior?

This, I feel, goes back to people believing they're entitled to speed, and if you are in their way, they feel they have every right to bumper hump you as a form of intimidation. They are much like keyboard warriors, in that being separated by different vehicles they don't have to worry about having to deal directly with the person they are offending.

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
I will just add texting. Texting is allowed at red lights in stupid Florida.

It's not ot legal to do here, but most people still do it. Pretty ridiculous when people need to honk horns to get someone to get their eyes off there stupid phone to try and drive again to the next light.

I call that the "smart phone delay" at stop lights. First person in line just has to check what that facebook notification was about so the rest of us have to wait until they either look up or someone taps a horn to snap them out of it. Happens all the time around here and texting at any time while driving is against state traffic code.

If I'm behind the first car in line at a light and I can tell they are texting I'm tempted to blow my horn while the light is still red- just for fun of course...

Lots of people can't seem to keep their car in their lane around here. Granted, Alabama roads are largely [censored], but at least try.

Also, not paying attention at short traffic lights.

The last thing I can think of right now is erratic speed/sticking to someone's quarter panel no matter what speed they do. You do not have to be attached to another vehicle!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
I will just add texting. Texting is allowed at red lights in stupid Florida.

It's not ot legal to do here, but most people still do it. Pretty ridiculous when people need to honk horns to get someone to get their eyes off there stupid phone to try and drive again to the next light.

It's not legal here to do anything with a hand held cell phone while driving, but not only is the law not enforced, I see cops texting while they're driving...

Have a family member who I absolutely hate being in passenger's seat when they drive.
Can't keep steady pressure on gas pedal. It's a constant game of pressing and letting go, pressing again, letting go again. Makes me feel nauseous. I don't understand it.
I can't say for sure if this behavior always existed or if I have just become more aware and annoyed by it recently.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
If I'm behind the first car in line at a light and I can tell they are texting I'm tempted to blow my horn while the light is still red- just for fun of course...

I blow the horn when I see the light turn yellow for the cross traffic...I figure that'll give the texting idiot time to react and go by the time our light turns green...

ROUNDABOUTS have been mentioned many times. Whomever invented and those who implemented roundabouts need to be put in a mental institution for the remainder of their lives! I did not read all of the other pet peaves because ROUNDABOUTS are by far the dumbest idea ever conceived by man.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
ROUNDABOUTS have been mentioned many times. Whomever invented and those who implemented roundabouts need to be put in a mental institution for the remainder of their lives! I did not read all of the other pet peaves because ROUNDABOUTS are by far the dumbest idea ever conceived by man.

They are a driving skill test point on the road - and a place to be hyper aware of idiots. It would be interesting to know what percentage of accidents occur on a roundabout.

They are a driving skill test point on the road - and a place to be hyper aware of idiots. It would be interesting to know what percentage of accidents occur on a roundabout.

Yeah, most people don't seem to know how to handle them and I saw a guy on a bike get clipped and fall down after getting hit by a car in as we call them here, a rotary. Here it's pretty simple though, cars in the rotary have the right of way and cars entering have to yield. All people have to do is read the signs but that must be pretty hard when they're texting. They work find with light traffic loads but don't work when there's a lot of traffic. It gets worse when they put up traffic lights on rotaries.

Quite frequently I've been behind drivers who have to hit the brakes every 10 seconds or so no matter the situation. Going downhill, uphill, flat roads, around the curve, every freaking 10-15 seconds the brake light flashes. And no, I'm not tailgating (bumper-humping)...

Originally Posted By: Walmill
Have a family member who I absolutely hate being in passenger's seat when they drive.
Can't keep steady pressure on gas pedal. It's a constant game of pressing and letting go, pressing again, letting go again. Makes me feel nauseous. I don't understand it.
I can't say for sure if this behavior always existed or if I have just become more aware and annoyed by it recently.

Originally Posted By: road_rascal
Quite frequently I've been behind drivers who have to hit the brakes every 10 seconds or so no matter the situation. Going downhill, uphill, flat roads, around the curve, every freaking 10-15 seconds the brake light flashes. And no, I'm not tailgating (bumper-humping)...

Agreed; those incompetent, brain dead morons need their licenses permanently revoked.

Agreed; those incompetent, brain dead morons need their licenses permanently revoked.

YES!!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

YES!!

Yeah, they're total fools, and there's also a huge gap in front of them which just increases every time they hit the brakes.

I try to avoid hitting the brakes, coast as much as I can and maybe just hover over the brake pedal.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Yeah, most people don't seem to know how to handle them and I saw a guy on a bike get clipped and fall down after getting hit by a car in as we call them here, a rotary. Here it's pretty simple though, cars in the rotary have the right of way and cars entering have to yield. All people have to do is read the signs but that must be pretty hard when they're texting. They work find with light traffic loads but don't work when there's a lot of traffic. It gets worse when they put up traffic lights on rotaries.

Roundabouts are a menace and should be bulldozed and returned to a simple fourway intersection period! Many old intersections around me have been in place since horse and buggy days. Many are being replaced by the moronic roundabouts and accidents have skyrocketed bigtime. I’d like to hang the “genius” who came up with this roundabout “solution” to the common intersection by the nut sack!

Roundabouts are a menace and should be bulldozed and returned to a simple fourway intersection period! Many old intersections around me have been in place since horse and buggy days. Many are being replaced by the moronic roundabouts and accidents have skyrocketed bigtime. I’d like to hang the “genius” who came up with this roundabout “solution” to the common intersection by the nut sack!

I think you're a little late. Whoever invented it is probably long dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout

Back