2004 E450 RV Transmission Fluid Analysis - Opinons Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am under contract for a 2004 Class C RV with the V10 ford powertrain. It has 37k on the clock. I don't believe the trans was ever serviced.

This is the first time I had a UOA done, so I am just researching the results. To me, it looks like the fluid is simply shot and needs to be replaced. With Nickel at 10, copper at 153, Lead at 58, and tin at 9....should I be concerned?

Does the fluid look dark or smell burned ?

But , on general principal , I would consider it cheap insurance . Are you considering DIY ?

Best o0f luck to you , :)

Where's the rest of the analysis data?

Iron ppm? (Gear wear)
Fluid viscosity? (Thins with time/shear)
Insolubles %? (Clutch material and oxidation)

What are universal averages for that transmission? (Normal wear varies widely between brands and models)

That could well be factory fill with normal extra metal from break in. But considering it's a heavy use application I'd be tempted to change fluid early anyways.

You want Mercon SP for that transmission-good news, it should be a Torq-Shift/5R110, we actually had very good luck with those in our '04-'07 E-350 6.0 PSD vans.

Severe service is 30k miles, which an RV would fall under. You’re not too far off.

My ‘12 uses the same 5R110 tranny although Ford switched to Mercon LV sometime in between . I did a full pan drop and filter change when I took possession at 20k and the fluid wasn’t shot. In fact, the pan was spotless with just a little fuzz on the magnet. I did another drain & fill at 25k and the tranny didn’t like Maxlife. I went to Castrol licensed Mercon LV at 30k and it’s back to firm shifts, not mush.

p.s. Don’t forget the rear diff. My Dana didn’t have a drain, and the rear sway bar and fuel tank are annoyingly close so I siphoned and refilled.

Assuming the vehicle has around 35k miles on it, the metals and contaminants are going to include break-in wear. I'd not pay too much attention to the numbers if this UOA is from the first OCI. The high metals are totally expected for the first couple OCIs. The 5R110 is a good trans.
Not sure if the trans was OEM sent with SP or LV, but LV is the default now.
see this link from last year:
https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/docs/Automatic_Transmission_Fluid_Sales_Brochure_2017.pdf

Just change the fluid and filter according to current Ford recommendations and motor on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back