OCOD: Other Cans of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
It's actually called the Orange Can Of Death. Doom is not alarmist enough.

The reputation is based on perceived quality not actual performance.

The hate Purolator gets is more justified because the filter is actually tearing during use. Unless people are damaging it during the CP?

My Toyota Corolla takes a very small filter to date I have yet to find one Tearalator. I have used them regularity for the last 6 plus years. I buy what's on sale and is 99% rated at 20 microns. But frankly I'm looking for a 99% filter at 10 Microns then the rest will be carp!

Fit one of these on somewhere. Far better than 10.

http://www.frantzfilters.com/

This is the way to present evidence on your oil filter product.

http://frantzfilters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/FrantzResults.pdf

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: jk_636
I exclusively used Purolator oil filters for years (even during the "tearing" crisis.) I used Classics to 3k and Pureones to 5k and never opened one that was torn. There was a while were I posted proof every time I would change the oil on one of my vehicles. I must have been exempt from "all" of those torn filters.
No; just lucky.

I'm not that lucky, or special, or the only one that has never experienced a tearolater.

I know how difficult that most be for all of the Purohaters to hear.

Anything made by Purolator is worse than the cheapest Fram. I've never seen any reported failures with Frams either, I myself have used them on a lot of stuff. I became leery of them for awhile after "getting into" cars and switched everything over to WIX for the longest time. But after joining these boards and educating myself, I've switched mostly back to Fram. Although the Mustang has a Napa Gold on it currently, I would have used the orange can, but the ones at O'Reilly's didn't have the silicon valve yet so I got the Napa instead. I'm picky about my filters having silicon valves! Especially since the Mustang only gets annual changes so I need to be certain the drainback valve isn't going to harden up in that time and stop working effectively.

I exclusively used Purolator oil filters for years (even during the "tearing" crisis.) I used Classics to 3k and Pureones to 5k and never opened one that was torn. There was a while were I posted proof every time I would change the oil on one of my vehicles. I must have been exempt from "all" of those torn filters.
No; just lucky.
I'm not that lucky, or special, or the only one that has never experienced a tearolater.I know how difficult that most be for all of the Purohaters to hear.
Prior to taking your 2-year vacation, you were engaged in plenty of conversations about tearing Purolators to which you defended Purolator to the end despite many, many examples of Purolators tearing (if memory serves you also switched to a Purolator boss which has reinforced media). Purolators can and do tear; either in the filter media or the ADBV. I know that is hard to hear.

Otoh, even when there is a clear Fram OF failure (Tough Guard in this case) as posted HERE it gets attributed by a supposed authority to 'glazed oil'.
whistle.gif
To their credit, at least for some that bovine excrement was quickly recognized and called out. Safe to say if the BE meter gif was to be posted, it would be pinned as pure.

I won't use any FRAM except an Ultra. The regular OCOD is just overpriced for what it is compared to the competition. That just my opinion and preference for metal endcaps and better media which is available on other filters for the same or not much more cost. I understand the performance may be just fine and I don't deny that an OCOD will serve a 5k or less OCI just fine. I just won't use them. The ULTRA, on the other hand, is a superb filter, metal caps with nice media and it is priced right - no brainer there.

Last edited:
FWIW my dad has always used Fram basic "OCOD" filters and driven tons of trouble free miles. Never an oil related failure or wear. He also uses conventional oil of whatever is the cheapest at time of purchase. There would be tons of engines imploding all over the place if Fram or Purloator were a bad filter given the volume of filters they sell and that just isn't happening.

That said I don't use either myself. I have my father-inlaw using Wix Cartridges in his Caravan, mother in-law using Wix XP on her CRV and I use Amsoil cartridges in my Highlander and have used them on my Journey / Santa Fe when I had those vehicles.

Last edited:
Yes, it's very likely that there are worse oil filters on the market than a Fram OCOD. I could throw out a few brands but they would just be guesses... you know, the "perceived quality" thing (which does happen).

Stepping back and looking at the big picture, this whole Fram = garbage thing is probably similar to the Explorer Firestone crisis. After that crap storm of bad press about Firestone tires, they upped their game and started producing some of the best tires on the market, for the price, in an attempt to regain some public trust. But the damage was already done... nobody cared what Firestone was doing, people were simply afraid of buying Firestones. I grabbed myself a set of excellent tires for bargain prices.

Now I can't say for sure that Fram is responding the same way as Firestone, simply because a crappy oil filter is unlikely to send SUVs into a roll (or otherwise flying off the highway).

Originally Posted By: DGXR
Now I can't say for sure that Fram is responding the same way as Firestone ...

I think Purolator needs to respond more than most brands. They tried when they supposedly changed up their whole line a year or two ago (at least the paint jobs), but they still seem to have the most reported issues.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I won't use any FRAM except an Ultra. The regular OCOD is just overpriced for what it is compared to the competition. That just my opinion and preference for metal endcaps and better media which is available on other filters for the same or not much more cost. I understand the performance may be just fine and I don't deny that an OCOD will serve a 5k or less OCI just fine. I just won't use them. The ULTRA, on the other hand, is a superb filter, metal caps with nice media and it is priced right - no brainer there.

My feelings as well.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I think Purolator needs to respond more than most brands. They tried when they supposedly changed up their whole line a year or two ago (at least the paint jobs), but they still seem to have the most reported issues.

That just makes me shake my head. You have clear QC issues (or, even from the perspective of the deniers, a clear PR issue), so the solution is to do a new paint job and change product names?

As for other cans of doom, in general, I tend to avoid most jobber filters. If I want "jobber" pricing, I can get Baldwins for my car for under $5, so that's pretty hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
So you'd take a Fram Orange Can over a Puro Boss?

Yep, without a second thought! Boss could be great if it didn't have tiny louvers and tearing ADBV issues all the time.

No; just lucky.
I'm not that lucky, or special, or the only one that has never experienced a tearolater.I know how difficult that most be for all of the Purohaters to hear.
Prior to taking your 2-year vacation, you were engaged in plenty of conversations about tearing Purolators to which you defended Purolator to the end despite many, many examples of Purolators tearing (if memory serves you also switched to a Purolator boss which has reinforced media). Purolators can and do tear; either in the filter media or the ADBV. I know that is hard to hear.

Your close. Before taking a break from BIGOG I had gone to Purolator Synthetics because I was looking to go to a filter better suited to my application when I went to 7k mile OCIs.

I didnt engage in the groups collective salivation over Fram products.

I posted pictures of the filters I used, and never saw a tearolator.

All filters changed at intervals mentioned above.

All filters that were purchased from different stores, in multiple cities over a period of several years.

No tears.

Of course I was called lucky, shill, accused of working for Purolator, being a troll etc. Maybe mine didn’t tear because of Royal Purple or MMO. The same people that hate on Purolator all seem to hate those things as well...

All I did was post evidence of what a Purolator filter looks like when you don’t run a Classic 17k miles...

Last edited:
Of course I was called lucky, shill, accused of working for Purolator, being a troll etc.

LOL ... yeah, people here who mention anything positive about Fram are accused of the same thing. Lots of aluminum foil recycled around here.

Originally Posted By: Garak

That just makes me shake my head. You have clear QC issues (or, even from the perspective of the deniers, a clear PR issue), so the solution is to do a new paint job and change product names?

As for other cans of doom, in general, I tend to avoid most jobber filters. If I want "jobber" pricing, I can get Baldwins for my car for under $5, so that's pretty hard to beat.

thumbsup2.gif
With Purolator's less than stellar reputation, and basically ignoring the problem, I say why bother using them? There are better choices, and for less money. Not all cheap filters are cans of doom.

I will have to say jk that you are willing to run a Frame is quite impressive.

I don't mind running the Purolator Boss on my car. Just have to check the louvers first
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I will have to say jk that you are willing to run a Frame is quite impressive.

I don't mind running the Purolator Boss on my car. Just have to check the louvers first
lol.gif

Purolators have a slightly higher price point and they aren’t available at Walmart where I buy my oil so....if I happen to be at a vendor that carries them I’ll pick one up just like a wix or anything else, I currently am using Fram because they are carried at the Walmart across the street where I buy my oil so it’s convenient.

Of course I was called lucky, shill, accused of working for Purolator, being a troll etc.

LOL ... yeah, people here who mention anything positive about Fram are accused of the same thing. Lots of aluminum foil recycled around here.

What are you talking about? There are people here NOT saying good things about Fram? Report them immediately!

It is always funny being accused of working for ______ company, but for the record: Purolator never reached out to me so I must not have done a good enough "job."
lol.gif

I wonder how everyone would look at Tearolator if they had a representative on BITOG?
confused.gif

I wonder how everyone would look at Tearolator if they had a representative on BITOG?
confused.gif

From an objective point of view, it would be great so they could field questions and provide insight into why the tears happened in the first place (or at the very least acknowledge them). People cna slam FRAM, but at least their representative was active here and always answered any questions that I had regarding their products. MH/Purolator never made any comments about the tears, in this forum or anywhere else that I have seen despite enough occurrences to indicate there was some sort of issue. No matter, there are plenty of other filters on the market from which to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back