Tesla Going Private?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is i seriously dont think Tesla is going to last. He has a LOT of pipe dreams. Even a poor mechanic like me knows how the world works
smile.gif

I'm struggling to understand how Musk has this whole thing worked out.
He claims to have access to the funds, but how a company that has yet to generate any profit will service tens of billion dollars in new debt is beyond me and no lender is going to pour money down a rathole however rich and dumb they might be.
I can see how a plan involving a Chapter 11 filing which would basically wipe out the market value of the company with a lender then riding to the rescue with billions in new debt financing might work. See Chrysler and GM for how this could work. The only downside is that Musk's reputation would be utterly and permanently destroyed.
Interesting to see how this all plays out. Never a dull moment with this guy's car company.

Tried to grow the business too fast - and therefore spending more money than taking in. And he has too many irons in the fire, which doesn't help keeping all those irons hot.

Thing is, about 80% of the float is shorted. That's not smart. These big funds taking these positions should know better. It creates an imbalance that causes an artificial price.

It's herd mentality and momentum investing and happening on the long side of faang stocks too. We're setting up for multi thousand point drops in hours like what happened in the spring.

How quickly people forget and jump right back on the bandwagon

You think maybe Musk floated the LBO idea at a premium to torture the shorts?
Either way, I'm sure that he's having a pretty good giggle watching the shorts squirm on a rising share price.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You think maybe Musk floated the LBO idea at a premium to torture the shorts?
Either way, I'm sure that he's having a pretty good giggle watching the shorts squirm on a rising share price.

LOL, if he did that, he can't...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/15/sec-has-...musks-take.html

Quote:
The Securities and Exchange Commisison has served Tesla with a subpoena after CEO Elon Musk tweeted that he was considering taking the company private and that he had the necessary funding lined up, according to reports from The New York Times and other outlets published Wednesday.

Quote:
Musk publicly floated the possibility of taking the company private in a tweet that sent shares seesawing and company leadership scrambling. His statement that he had the "funding secured" came under particular scrutiny, as it may have violated an SEC rule that essentially stipulates public statements made by company executives must be true.

Why start holding Musk to the truth now ?

I've read that it's the Saudi's that are interesting in providing most of the capital to back this pursuit, which seems a tad ironic given the crusade Musk has been on regarding the "Oil Industry devil"
21.gif

Maybe they know they're out of oil.

Or they just want to buy it and then shut it down, so that they can sell more oil.

Who knows.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

Or they just want to buy it and then shut it down, so that they can sell more oil.

Who knows.

Perhaps. I know they want to diversify away from relying solely on oil, I just think it's a tad ironic that the industry that Elon has been condemning may be his ultimate saviour.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Who knows.

Perhaps. I know they want to diversify away from relying solely on oil, I just think it's a tad ironic that the industry that Elon has been condemning may be his ultimate saviour.

It's all part of his PT Barnum show...appeal to the popular, create "that" persona, but chase the bucks, wherever they may be.

Who knows.

Diversification is not only for small investors. Big oils probably would like to diversify so its investment is safe regardless of oil price.

I don't feel it's necessary to start a new thread about this, but I read an AP article about Elon drinking whiskey and smoking weed while on a show being interviewed, a couple of executives leaving, and the stock dropping 6%. Hitting the other news outlets.

Dave Morton, touted by Tesla in late July as part of "key new talent" hired after a spell of executive departures, said Friday in a filing that he left because the public attention on the company and its pace were too much. Tesla also confirmed that Gabrielle Toledano, its head of human resources, wouldn't rejoin Tesla after her leave of absence.

Meanwhile, the number of shorts to his stock climb.

I don't feel like digging up the AP article again (I tried, but can't find the one I read a few hours ago), but something about a $450,000 base salary and a $10 mil that would vest if Dave stayed there 4 years, I think. That's a bit to walk away from.

Originally Posted by spackard
I don't feel it's necessary to start a new thread about this, but I read an AP article about Elon drinking whiskey and smoking weed while on a show being interviewed, a couple of executives leaving, and the stock dropping 6%. Hitting the other news outlets.

Being high-profile CEO as Musk is, why in the world would he get high on the air like that? Is it a compulsion? Addiction?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/air-force-is-looking-into-elon-musks-pot-smoking-source.html

... is an article about how his SpaceX security clearance is in real jeopardy now. You can't have a security clearance and use marijuana, simple as that.
To say nothing of a CEO's traditional incumbent fiduciary responsibilties to not be drug user.

I read earlier it was a tobacco-marijuana blended smoke. Which means he was under the influence of a combination of THC, nicotine, and alcohol at the same time. What does that do? Combining stuff like that isn't generally recommended.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by spackard

Being high-profile CEO as Musk is, why in the world would he get high on the air like that? Is it a compulsion? Addiction?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/air-force-is-looking-into-elon-musks-pot-smoking-source.html

... is an article about how his SpaceX security clearance is in real jeopardy now. You can't have a security clearance and use marijuana, simple as that.
To say nothing of a CEO's traditional incumbent fiduciary responsibilties to not be drug user.

I read earlier it was a tobacco-marijuana blended smoke. Which means he was under the influence of a combination of THC, nicotine, and alcohol at the same time. What does that do? Combining stuff like that isn't generally recommended.

He did a podcast interview with Joe Rogan in California where recreational MJ consumption is legal. Many guests on that podcast will drink and smoke because it's a part of the experience.

Federal scheduling of MJ is another matter but I no longer make character judgments of people who appear to be capable of enjoying drinks and smokes. Alcohol has been perfectly legal since Prohibition ended and people get plastered drunk and do terrible things but somehow a single puff of MJ is worse? (That was all Elon did on the podcast. He didn't even appear to inhale. )

Responsible consumption is responsible consumption regardless of the substance. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by dishdude
This guy is a joke, I can't believe anyone still owns this stock.

I stand by my earlier post.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
He did a podcast interview with Joe Rogan in California where recreational MJ consumption is legal.
Last time I checked, CA is part of the U.S. and subject to federal drug laws, so, sorry, NO, it's not legal in CA or ANY OTHER STATE. You can get away with it in CA, IF smoked in private, where the public can't see you, since there are state laws against smoking it where the general public can watch you. The public can watch him do it here, so he is in violation of CA state law.

"Attorney General Jeff Sessions gave U.S. attorneys the green light Thursday to aggressively enforce federal laws against marijuana — even in states where pot is legal." -- reported widely earlier this year....

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Alcohol has been perfectly legal since Prohibition ended and people get plastered drunk and do terrible things but somehow a single puff of MJ is worse?
Excellent point. The issue here is whether or not the stockholders and the U.S. Air Force want a CEO and leader of those companies to use whiskey, tobacco, marijuana, Ambien, and, allegedly LSD, while making decisions that impact them. (LSD usage was from an earlier accusation, not sure if that one was true!) Mixing Ambien, which he does use, and alcohol, is a problem all by itself, as it can cause confusion at the least.

In any case, the U.S. Air Force & stockholders should demand a drug test to find out what he has been doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back