effect of chinese ownership of volvo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Noticed that all those people have now shut up?

Perhaps they were just smart enough to not bother entertaining the idea that this was going to be a merit-based debate after being called racist xenophobic white supremacists?

Wasting one's time in futile engagement, which I've oft caught myself spinning my wheels in, isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Or maybe they wised up and decided not to exhibit their racist xenophobic white supremacists views on a board where not everyone is like them?

Pointedly: Do you have a history of social justice action? I ask because your assumption and chain of follow-ups would imply that you see a racist around every corner and even in circumstances where there are obvious, even more plausible explanations, you can't help but get offended so that you can hop up on that soap box and start talking down.

That's how you've come across in this thread.

Getting back cars for a second, I bought a Chinese assembled 2017 demo CPO S60 Inscription Platinum for my wife in May. It had 5K miles on it and an original sticker of over $43K. I paid less than $26K, the Volvo CPO program is crazy long and comprehensive, and the 10K, 20K, and 30K services are complimentary.

We cross shopped a new Accord, new Mazda 6, and a used Lexus GS350. The infotainment system is not up to modern standards, but it's been a great car in every other way so far. My wife generally drives a little less than 10K miles per year and we usually keep our cars 8 to 10 years. I'll report back anything good, bad, or otherwise after we've had it a while longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ddub
Getting back cars for a second, I bought a Chinese assembled 2017 demo CPO S60 Inscription Platinum for my wife in May. It had 5K miles on it and an original sticker of over $43K. I paid less than $26K, the Volvo CPO program is crazy long and comprehensive, and the 10K, 20K, and 30K services are complimentary.

We cross shopped a new Accord, new Mazda 6, and a used Lexus GS350. The infotainment system is not up to modern standards, but it's been a great car in every other way so far. My wife generally drives a little less than 10K miles per year and we usually keep our cars 8 to 10 years. I'll report back anything good, bad, or otherwise after we've had it a while longer.

Great to hear some actual owner feedback
thumbsup2.gif

You saw the thread linked to earlier with some of the issues. Many of them appear to be linked to that infotainment system. What would you outline as its major deficiencies?

thumbsup2.gif

You saw the thread linked to earlier with some of the issues. Many of them appear to be linked to that infotainment system. What would you outline as its major deficiencies?

His '16 does not have the same system that the new XC40 has.

It would appear that it is all-new for this year, and that's probably why there are so many issues. The '12 Passat was the same way. I have no idea what bubble these systems get tested in but sometimes it does not translate well to real-world use.

See also first-gen CUE and iDrive.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
thumbsup2.gif

His '16 does not have the same system that the new XC40 has.

It would appear that it is all-new for this year, and that's probably why there are so many issues. The '12 Passat was the same way. I have no idea what bubble these systems get tested in but sometimes it does not translate well to real-world use.

See also first-gen CUE and iDrive.

Thanks for the info. Chrysler's uConnect changed providers from '17 to '18, but the interface is really just an evolution, so it wasn't a huge deal. Doesn't sound like that's the case here eh?

Thanks for the info. Chrysler's uConnect changed providers from '17 to '18, but the interface is really just an evolution, so it wasn't a huge deal. Doesn't sound like that's the case here eh?

Since this thread is completely off the rails anyway, I don't mind hijacking it!

What changed '17 to '18? My current 2018 sure seems like an evolution from the 2015 I had previously that also worked really well.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Since this thread is completely off the rails anyway, I don't mind hijacking it!

What changed '17 to '18? My current 2018 sure seems like an evolution from the 2015 I had previously that also worked really well.

They switched to Panasonic for the touchscreen system. So while conceptually it's very similar to its predecessor, you can see some of the parts of the system that were improved with the refresh. Your 2015 would be nary identical to my 2016, which is almost identical to the 2017.

They switched to Panasonic for the touchscreen system. So while conceptually it's very similar to its predecessor, you can see some of the parts of the system that were improved with the refresh. Your 2015 would be nary identical to my 2016, which is almost identical to the 2017.

Thanks, didn't realize they switched hardware vendors. The Garmin maps remained and do a great job. I think I gained a 4G LTE hotspot over the previous 3G, and Apple Car Play and Android Auto, otherwise it's very similar.

Works great, my only complain is that I haven't been able to figure out how to disable weather warnings. Every time I get in it tells me there's an air quality warning...we get those all summer long here.
frown.gif

Thanks, didn't realize they switched hardware vendors. The Garmin maps remained and do a great job. I think I gained a 4G LTE hotspot over the previous 3G, and Apple Car Play and Android Auto, otherwise it's very similar.

Works great, my only complain is that I haven't been able to figure out how to disable weather warnings. Every time I get in it warns me that there's an air quality warning...we get those all summer long here.
frown.gif

Yup, they kept the functionality the same, but the screen is improved, and the interface updated a bit over the previous version. Do you get your updates over LTE?

Yup, they kept the functionality the same, but the screen is improved, and the interface updated a bit over the previous version. Do you get your updates over LTE?

I would assume so, my 2015 did updates OTA. The 2018 hasn't been sent one yet...

I would assume so, my 2015 did updates OTA. The 2018 hasn't been sent one yet...

OK, that's good. They don't in Canada (that I know of) so we've gotta check the uConnect website for them. I check about once a month.

It's been positive from a design standpoint, Volvo is still a great car to own new. And a is still a terrible one to own beyond warranty expiration. Their depreciation continues to be some of the worst out there.

Pointedly: Do you have a history of social justice action? I ask because your assumption and chain of follow-ups would imply that you see a racist around every corner and even in circumstances where there are obvious, even more plausible explanations, you can't help but get offended so that you can hop up on that soap box and start talking down.

That's how you've come across in this thread.

Interesting take. And for the record, no I'm not into social justice, I'm just a capitalist. I just didn't like the tone of the thread was taking and thought I'd mention it. It's one thing to give the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes people go too far. And it's another thing to just let it go, or speak up so things don't end up being an echo chamber.

Also for the record, even if that were true, did that have anything to do with the subject matter? Why would you attack the person making the charge? People do that when they have nothing else. I think this is the first time I've brought it up, now you've tried to label me as someone who sees one right around every corner? I'm also a believer in Occam's razor. Also I'm not really sure I was offended, just wanted to point something out and see what the take on it was. So far, including your responses, I didn't really see anything really compelling otherwise. Your "obvious, even more plausible explanations" I didn't find compelling at all. They were all after the fact and weren't in the original quote.

Your "obvious, even more plausible explanations" I didn't find compelling at all.

Of course you didn't, they weren't what you were looking for.

Nobody sets out to verify the opposite of what they've laid charge for. You finding a logical explanation that omitted racism wasn't in the cards. And I write this now knowing that this post isn't going to either.

It's one thing to give the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes people go too far.

You've defended your knee-jerk for pages now, so who is going too far? [censored], your original audience isn't even present yet you continue this social justice crusade like somebody bluntly called somebody a racist term, but that's not even remotely close to what actually happened.

Why would you attack the person making the charge? People do that when they have nothing else.

Why would somebody call you out on you labelling somebody else a racist or xenophobe? Are you serious? If somebody doesn't feel the charge is being fairly levied, there is no bloody obligation to stand by your side due to some insane social justice pact. You seriously need to give your logic-o-meter a once-over if this is the sort of thing that it gives you to roll out when you've said something that hasn't received an "atta boy" response.

The original quote, which started this bizarre exchange reads:

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
I won't buy any autos from a China owned company. Way too many defects in other things they send over here. Some are even hazardous to your health. (e.g.: drywall) I'm boycotting Buick since they have chosen to manufacture their new crossover in China instead of the USA. What Cadillac is made in China?

Now, despite the fact that he contradicts himself (Buick isn't a China-owned company, so boycotting them for that reason is ridiculous), he specifically states that his aversion is to the perceived quality of items produced by domestic Chinese corporations; companies that aren't American/German/Japanese...etc outsourced to China, which, in many cases, have strict QC control, a fact we've already covered. He even gave us an example of what he feared with the drywall.

Pretty "human" response to intend on avoiding products from a source that the media has told you is shipping you toxic goods. Not saying it is logical, not defending it, simply stating that it is a pretty typical human response.

He in no way states that he doesn't like Chinese people, is afraid of Chinese people, or has any sort of aversion to the Chinese. Heck, he could have a Chinese wife for all we know. His issue is with Chinese corporations, if his statement is taken at face value, and that's not an unfounded fear, which we've also already covered.

Your reply:

Do I even dare to say that this attitude is somewhat racist?

Labelled him, and he didn't post back.

Things then quickly began to go downhill from there.

You later tried to dull your original statement by saying:

I questioned whether it was racist or not.

But your "question" wasn't as to whether it was racist or not. It was whether you dared (which of course you did, so that question was rhetorical) state that this attitude, presented by poster StevieBoy, was "somewhat" racist.

You brought race into the thread. Up until that point, there were some folks expressing their concern, in varying degrees, as to the quality of Volvo products now that the company was owned by the Chinese, whose corporations have a less than stellar track record for quality when not being supervised by a foreign entity. That's not racism and it isn't xenophobic, it's simply consumer fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back