Honda break in oil....myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it? The manual doesn’t say anything about it at all, and if remember correctly my 14 accord did. I’d just like to get the ff out early, but I’ll wait til 3k. Any reason to wait longer?

In our family we have Honda's. Some run the FF until the first OCI, others dump it within the first 1,000km (600 miles). Both seem to have long engine lives either way.

Do what makes you feel happy!
cheers3.gif

I did my first oil change at 5K in our CRV, no difference noticed regardless

Originally Posted By: StevieC
In our family we have Honda's. Some run the FF until the first OCI, others dump it within the first 1,000km (600 miles). Both seem to have long engine lives either way.

Do what makes you feel happy!
cheers3.gif

LOL great feed back Stevie after all they have filters on those cars for a reason don't they.

I've bought two Honda vans new, one in '03 and one in '09. I followed the manual and ran the factory fill the full change interval on both, then went to Mobil-1 0W20.
The '03 is on a 5000 mile schedule, the '09 follows the maintenance minder. 195,000 on the '03, 140,000 on the '09. No engine problems in either one.

Q: My Honda is equipped with break-in oil, should I change it early?

A: No. To ensure proper engine break-in, the factory-fill engine oil needs to remain in the engine until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

The factory fill oil is the same as Honda Service Replacement Oil. The difference is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific internal engine components.

This is the answer that comes from Honda. But its your vehicle, so you can do as you choose.

Just don't drain before 2000 then put in Supertech and add LiquiMoly additive.

Yosemite Sam says, 'That ain't the right, moly buddy!'

Last edited:
We bought a 2007 CR-V new, had about 3 miles on it. I ran it 5k miles on the factory fill.

Sadly, the vehicle was hit in the rear in March 2016 and the person's insurance company totaled it. It had 101k miles on it. I was doing 10k mile intervals and it never used a drop of oil in 100k miles. Probably the last of the great Hondas ever made. That thing was never in the shop for anything non-maintenance related.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4096405/2015_Honda_Accord_Hybrid_Facto

You decide if this looks like something unique in what is one of their most modern, 0w-16 rated engines.

And in case a more standard variant is desired to discuss, how about this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3939600/2014_Honda_Odyssey_FF_-_5161_m

You decide, OP!

It wouldn't take me half a heartbeat to decide. I want that out of there yesterday.

If Moly is that beneficial then an option would be to dump the FF when you want and run the next interval with a high Moly oil. Idemitsu Zepro or the Mazda oil they make will do fine. After that, run whatever oil you want.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4096405/2015_Honda_Accord_Hybrid_Facto

You decide if this looks like something unique in what is one of their most modern, 0w-16 rated engines.

And in case a more standard variant is desired to discuss, how about this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3939600/2014_Honda_Odyssey_FF_-_5161_m

You decide, OP!

It wouldn't take me half a heartbeat to decide. I want that out of there yesterday.

Yesterday sounds about right.
wink.gif

I guess you dont like to read the thread.

Originally Posted By: bud
Q: My Honda is equipped with break-in oil, should I change it early?

A: No. To ensure proper engine break-in, the factory-fill engine oil needs to remain in the engine until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

The factory fill oil is the same as Honda Service Replacement Oil. The difference is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific internal engine components.

This is the answer that comes from Honda. But its your vehicle, so you can do as you choose.

There is no break in oil used, its a myth.

Edit: The moly does very little after the main and rod bearings get pressure lubrication.

Last edited:
Had two Hondas in my life.
One New RL went with the FF
until first MM OC.Never did that
on any new car before.
Second RL bought at 5k from a
Honda dealer who gave it a change.

Both did ok as far as I can say.
If you feel better change it and either use a high only oil or
an additive.

Your going to get either a yay or
nay every other reply.
Going to have to go with your gut.
Good luck with new car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud

What if the factory fill were dumped early and replaced with a dedicated break in lube? After all, ZDDP is a more common AW additive in the first place. Of course, that's taking Honda's argument at face value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back