:::Why Ford Made An INCREDIBLE Blunder (RE 2019 Ford Ranger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NDL
The blunder that Ford's market research team made with the 2019 Ranger is astronomical!

For years, I have heard and read dribs and drabs from automakers, who acknowledges that a strong, and underserved, segment exists, for buyers that want an inexpensive, yet durable, basic work truck.

I am such a prospective buyer, as the current and very happy owner of a Ford Ranger.

After a ridiculously long wait, I look at Ford's official Ranger page today, to find that the least expensive Ranger costs around $25,300 for a base truck, with steel wheels (!)

This is a colossal mistake!

That's a $17k truck in year 2000. It does seem a little high, but hey anyone with a plant in the US can build a light truck but is prohibited* by law from importing cheaper trucks.

*25% tariff aka "The Chicken Tax" instituted by LBJ in the 1960's.

Go Murica!!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Since someone asked, this is a base '16 Silverado. The only option on the build sheet was carpet (wish it had rubber). Funny thing is it came with locks, windows, cruise, auto headlights, auto trans. No infotainment, signals in mirrors, cameras, etc. Just a truck. Best thing ever are the steps in the corners of the rear bumper.

Looks good, reminds me of my Tundra, base motor, 4 doors, 4WD. I have been playing with aftermarket cheapo backup cameras though, and I need to put on running boards. I don't think I got a good deal on mine but I also didn't plan to daily drive either--I think mine will age out rather than wear out (New England salt).

Wonder what the towing capacity is going to be? I really need to be able to tow 7500 pounds in order for it to replace 2 of my vehicles, but I'm not sure it will with only a 4 cyl. I do think it's promising that they offer LT tires

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
I agree with you.

I bought my Ford Ranger NEW in 2002 / $13,000 Out the Door Price
The reason I liked it was that it was just a 'delivery' vehicle.
NO Carpeting
NO Cruise Control
NO Power Seats
NO Power Windows

I can remember around 2011 when they were finally killing off the Ranger, dealers around here were selling 4 cyl manual trans 2wd rangers for $11000. Awesome deal. To me, that's a real compact truck.

Originally Posted By: CARJ
I built a XL, 4x4, crew cab, tow package, bedliner and locking diff and it was about $33k. I absolutely love the look of the XL with the steel wheels. i'm not a Ford fan, but I will watch with interest how these are received and how that 4 cylinder and 10 speed auto does.

I think that's pretty reasonable price wise. Compared to what an equivalent 1/2 ton 4x4 crew cab would be. The bed is a little small, but I have multiple trailers. I'd throw an aftermarket hitch on and call it a day!

Originally Posted By: CKN
All trucks (including smaller ones) are optioned with nice equipment because that is the way buyers want them.

That's why the average vehicle transaction price is high these days-because buyers want the nice options.

The exception I guess are guys that change their own oil.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
How about a Ford BITOG special? Pushrod V-6, hand cranked windows, radio with jack but no fancy phone lik or screen. What else?

+1, and a crank start. That will make real men out of some in the cold winters.

LOL

Originally Posted By: Garak
All the small trucks, if you ask me, with the possible exception of the Titan, are overpriced. Heck, even the Titan is overpriced considering how long they've been making a killing off of an old platform.
wink.gif

True. But costs usually never go down unless you move it offshore.
Consequences always come with a cheap price. ( Vehicles in general )

Cars and trucks are expensive now, no way around it. Average price of a "light" vehicle According to KBB is $36,270

The Ranger is pricey, but discounts will follow. Only the early adopters will pay the premium to do real world testing for us. In a year or two they will be more affordable.

A 4 cylinder Nissan Frontier sounds like what some in here are looking for... they start at $19k, and I bet can be had for less at dealer. Even the base Ranger has more features and way more power.

Wow, just did a price comparison on an equally equipped Ranger and F150. The Ranger came in at $34,465 and the F150 came in at $41,334. It would be a no brainer to get the F150. Both were extended cab FX4 4wd models. Was thinking of trading up to a nicer truck in a year or so to consolidate two vehicles and the Ranger was on my list (as it would fit in the garage, F150 wouldn't) but for just a little more I'd go with the F150. Wonder if Ford is doing this on purpose.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Wow, just did a price comparison on an equally equipped Ranger and F150. The Ranger came in at $34,465 and the F150 came in at $41,334. It would be a no brainer to get the F150. Both were extended cab FX4 4wd models. Was thinking of trading up to a nicer truck in a year or so to consolidate two vehicles and the Ranger was on my list (as it would fit in the garage, F150 wouldn't) but for just a little more I'd go with the F150. Wonder if Ford is doing this on purpose.
Since $7000 more $$$ is a no brainer you may as well grab the Platinum F150 while you're at it.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Cars and trucks are expensive now, no way around it. Average price of a "light" vehicle According to KBB is $36,270

The Ranger is pricey, but discounts will follow. Only the early adopters will pay the premium to do real world testing for us. In a year or two they will be more affordable.

A 4 cylinder Nissan Frontier sounds like what some in here are looking for... they start at $19k, and I bet can be had for less at dealer. Even the base Ranger has more features and way more power.
Vehicles aren't priced too bad when you figure most people could drive them for 20 years with basic maintenance. Buying new vehicles every few years is expensive.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Since $7000 more $$$ is a no brainer you may as well grab the Platinum F150 while you're at it.

7k divided by 60 months is $117 a month (rounding up slightly). Thats before any interest fee. So yea, not an insignificant amount.

I really want a midsize with a longer bed. Just like my Frontier the 4 door Ranger can only be had with the 5 foot bed. and the extended cab only a 6. I'd love to see 7 as an option. Maybe they don't do it since they payload wouldn't increase, but it would be nice for longer/larger items.

7k divided by 60 months is $117 a month (rounding up slightly). Thats before any interest fee. So yea, not an insignificant amount.

I really want a midsize with a longer bed. Just like my Frontier the 4 door Ranger can only be had with the 5 foot bed. and the extended cab only a 6. I'd love to see 7 as an option. Maybe they don't do it since they payload wouldn't increase, but it would be nice for longer/larger items.

Not to mention there's always incentives on F150's. I notice smaller trucks almost never do. So probably by the end of it, it would be the same price.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer additional configurations and engines soon. They're going to sell a ton of these in 2019. There's no need to drop everything on day one.

Last edited:

Many finance those $35K+ vehicles for 60 or 72 months to be able to afford their purchase.

Went to 2 dealerships recently, and sales peeps were going bonkers trying to get our phone number and email. I dread next year when we plan to get a vehicle (mid-size truck crew-cab) to replace our aging 04 PT and 92 Chevy truck. I don't care for the looks of Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon enough to buy one, plus crew-cab variants are still too big. I like the new Honda Ridgeline, but I see it and the new Ranger as vehicles for the $rich$ (and throw the Tacoma in as well). There's some things I don't like about the Frontier, but the price is a fraction better than the other alternatives. I like the Explorer Sport Trac, but they're long out of production. The way things are looking, I may just hang on to my trusted 92 Chevy C1500, as it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned (purchased new).

Originally Posted By: Rumble
Went to 2 dealerships recently, and sales peeps were going bonkers trying to get our phone number and email.

Google Voice number and a throw-away or non-primary e-mail address...

Originally Posted By: Rumble
Looks nice [above Ranger]. They will probably sell like hot cakes.
My FIL has driven nothing but Rangers for like 30 years. He's interested in replacing his 06. It seem Ranger folks are somewhat loyal.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
True. But costs usually never go down unless you move it offshore.
Consequences always come with a cheap price. ( Vehicles in general )

We can always wish, though.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back