Cloyes timing sets any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloyes was one of the first (if not the first) to come up with a true roller chain, and also (IIRC) the first to engineer and market a gear drive for Ford and Chevy V8's. Been around for like 50 years and their stuff is US made.

Currently putting a cam in my old Buick 225 V6 and installing a Cloyes chain & gears.

Installed a Cloyes HD timing chain set last August on my Toyota pickup. No chain rattle on startup ever since it was installed. The HD kit came with a steel guide rail instead of the usual plastic that is prone to breaking.

Most of the kit was made in USA. Tensioner was made in Taiwan. So far so good.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Back in the day, Cloyes was the best. Last one I used was in my 1966 GTO.

^^^This! Back in the day was the ****! Your OLD if you know that! I had the chain and gear set on my 69 Camaro and beat the living daylights out of it! Other stuff broke, but never the chain, and never jumped phase.

Who knows now? Who knows where they are made...

Cloyes is THE name brand when it comes to timing chains/timing sets, I would not hesitate to use their stuff. And yes, the last Cloyes box I looked at said "Made in USA"...

What problem are you having with the timing chains on your Mustang 4.6? I'm interested to know because my car has the same engine.

Last edited:
I bought a Cloyes timing chain set (gears and chain) for my Jeep last fall. $80 and US made. So far, so good.

I was very close to just buying Mopar, but a member here recommended them to me.

Everyone has already said it. The last chain I did was in a Yukon I used to have. The shop where I bought the parts showed me two chains and the Cloyes was by far the better part.

Are the manufacturers still using the cam sprockets with the plastic teeth ( I hope not ! ) . Bad idea .

Only one I have ever done DIY was on a 1966 Comet 289 . Installed new chain and 2 metal sprockets .

I don't know what the cam in block engines are using today, I haven't had to do one in a long time, only belts and OHC with chains that don't use plastic on the teeth.
Turning the clock back I saw hundreds over the years, the first one was a 69 riviera 430 in trade school, it must have been 1972 or so. Plastic bits all over the friggin place, the replacement was steel only, I want to say it was a Cloyes.

Cloyes makes really good replacement timing components, And they have some good performance timing components as well.

For Top Shelf timing chains in high demand applications.....I use IWIS.....IWIS DRIVE SYSTEMS

I've seen lesser chains break (Including Cloyes) on engines with really radical cam profiles & high seat pressure valve springs; The harmonics alone are not within the design intent of stock timing chains....Much less the "slack side" whip that can occur at high RPM.

My 4.6 is stock and its staying that way. I have a new Melling oil pump on the way. Ill replace it when I do the chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back