Yaris 2007 with 150k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys!

I wanted to see if I can use the following oil for my engine:

Valvolime MaxLife Full Synthetic high mileage 5W-30

I live in Costa Rica which is a hot country, so I am concerned about the viscosity. Should I get something higher like 20w-50? The owner's manual recommend 5w-30 but that is for US, which is a colder country.

The previous owner said that he used Valvolime MaxLife Synthetic Blend high mileage 20w-50 without issues, but I am afraid that the high viscosity will affect the engine in the future.

Cheers!

I don't see why not. We have all sorts of climates here in the US. Toyota recommends the same for the deserts of Arizona and the Alaska tundra.

You'll probably be fine with a high quality 5W30 oil.

Ok I'll stick to the 5w-30 as we have 93F here when it is really hot, so it is similar there. Thank you so much guys!

Your engine temp is probably 210 F. The engine thinks it’s a cool day in CR. But seriously. Your oil temp is largely dependent on RPM. Unless you are running really high RPM such as on a racing course, 5W30 will be fine.

Let the high viscosity folks chime in.
35.gif
36.gif

Thank you guys!!

I got a 10w-30 Valvolime MaxLife Synthetic Blend high mileage as 5w-30 is not available in any store in my country. I don't have issues with cold starting so it is good.

Will give it a try, and will change it every 7500km.

I've been driving this same engine for 13 years in Canada in temperatures ranging from 35C to -35C and always using 5W30, still running fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back