What's the deal on Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabalizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive never used it in an engines crankcase, but I always have a bottle laying around. Washing machine transmissions love it. Its whats in my 25 year old washing machine now. OE washing machine transmission oil looks, smells and feels like Lucas. My pressure washer takes 20 oz of oil, but the OE oil comes in 16 oz containers. I use 4 oz of Lucas to top off. The pressure washer crankcase never foams up like some will say Lucas can do. The pressure washer works well and has for many years and hours doing this. Before, the pressure washer pump oil would be thinner than water after a few hours of use. When the hydrostatic transaxle on my mowers need a change, but I want to finish up the season to change, I'll drain some fluid and add Lucas. Pretty much anything that calls for a ND oil that you want to thicken up a little, Lucas seems to fit the bill. But once again, Ive never used it in an engine.

If your Highlander just needs a thicker oil, I would use an HDEO instead of diluting your additive package with LHDOS. If your oil consumption is due to sticky rings, the detergents in HDEO could help.

As for pressure washer oil never foaming up with LHDOS, The test that Bob Winters did back in 2003 showed that it caused significant air entrainment in his gearbox apparatus. See Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

Have you checked the PCV valve or replaced it? Have your tried a Piston soak to free up stuck rings? Toyota likes to run their combustion hot for efficiency and this can lead to ring coking. Aside from the low tension ring problem a while back it may just be one of these two problems described above assuming it's not just wear/tear.

I always believed that this oil stabilizer allows for extended use of lubricating oils in severe environments. It's an alternative to replacing the lubricant as required in a "severe service" maintenance schedule.

Personally I would just replace the oil sooner, rather than rely on this type of product to keep the oil alive longer than it was intended.

Originally Posted by DGXR
I always believed that this oil stabilizer allows for extended use of lubricating oils in severe environments. It's an alternative to replacing the lubricant as required in a "severe service" maintenance schedule.

Personally I would just replace the oil sooner, rather than rely on this type of product to keep the oil alive longer than it was intended.

It is a cheap OlefinCopolymer and doesn't add anything to the oil except to make it thicker.

But MolaKule, those cool displays at the checkout and all.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back