2016 Traverse, 10,892 miles Quakerstate Syn Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off a friends 2016 Traverse. He went way over the mileage. He usually comes in at 5k miles. Been doing a lot of trips to the hospital for himself and family. Also note that he serviced the power steering and forgot to put the oil cap back on and so it was being driven around with the cap off for a month until I went to change the oil and saw it was off.

The oil filter is an AC PF63E. The oil is Quakerstate Synthetic Blend 5w-30 that I got on clearance at Walmart for $2 a qt.

Nice UOA. Wear metals very low, contamination low. Absolutely nothing here but desirable numbers. Fe at 1.3ppm/1k miles; that's excellent wear!

Yet more proof of a few things ...
- Even with TBN low, nothing bad happened. Too many folks think low TBN is a cause to OCI and/or panic. Not true. Low TBN is only a precursor to a POTENTIAL SHIFT in wear; it's a reason to pay closer attention. It is NOT, in and of itself, a cause to OCI. Low TBN only is an indicator that things may change; not that they are assured to go sour immediately. TBN is a predictor of possible change, not a reporter of bad stuff.
- IOLMs are generally very conservative; I'm sure it told him to OCI prior to the 11k miles
- this lube, despite not being the top-tier syn flavor, did just fine and there was STILL PLENTY OF LIFE LEFT IN THAT LOAD. This application does not "need" anything more than a $2/qrt lube. One can pay for a top-tier brand name syn, but it is improbable that more money spent would return any better UOA results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Nice UOA. Wear metals very low, contamination low. Absolutely nothing here but desirable numbers. Fe at 1.3ppm/1k miles; that's excellent wear!

Yet more proof of a few things ...
- Even with TBN low, nothing bad happened. Too many folks think low TBN is a cause to OCI and/or panic. Not true. Low TBN is only a precursor to a POTENTIAL SHIFT in wear; it's a reason to pay closer attention. It is NOT, in and of itself, a cause to OCI. Low TBN only is an indicator that things may change; not that they are assured to go sour immediately. TBN is a predictor of possible change, not a reporter of bad stuff.
- IOLMs are generally very conservative; I'm sure it told him to OCI prior to the 11k miles
- this lube, despite not being the top-tier syn flavor, did just fine and there was STILL PLENTY OF LIFE LEFT IN THAT LOAD. This application does not "need" anything more than a $2/qrt lube. One can pay for a top-tier brand name syn, but it is improbable that more money spent would return any better UOA results.

Very true. Mobil 1 is an example of an oil with a TBN that tanks fast. Right down to 2. But hangs there and doesn't seem to go below that.

I'll Try..

Fe...14
Cr....-
Ni....2
Al....3 or 9
Cu...3 or 9
Pb...-
Sn...-
Ca...-
Ag...-
V.....-
Si....21
Na...3 or 9
K.....-
Ti....-
Mo...144
Sb...-
Mn...-
Li....-
B.....19
Mg...42
Ca...2257
Ba...-
P.....754
Zn...935

TBN.......1.72
KV100...10.3 cst

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brian553
I'll Try..

Fe...14
Cr....-
Ni....2
Al....3
Cu...3
Pb...-
Sn...-
Ca...-
Ag...-
V.....-
Si....21
Na...3
K.....-
Ti....-
Mo...144
Sb...-
Mn...-
Li....-
B.....19
Mg...42
Ca...2257
Ba...-
P.....754
Zn...935

TBN.......1.72
KV100...10.3 cst

Wow ! They did a few things wrong, but the UOA turned out pretty good.

Shows you most oils can give more than we ask of them.

I often use semi-synthetics and I have every confidence that they can go the distance. This UOA and many previous UOAs from the older semi-synthetic Castrol Magnatec show that.

Rat407, do you mind shedding some light on a few things:
average speed
date in / date out
hours on oil (if possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back