K24 valve adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
grandmothers car, 2008 Accord 2.4 liter with 131k miles. When exactly is a valve adjustment needed? It has never had one done, and I'd like to get it done soon. Would I be better off taking it to the dealer or an independent shop?

For my old Accord I think the manual says every 30,000 miles but I'm not sure. I probably do it somewhere around that time more or less.

It isn't difficult to do but you will likely need to replace the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals at the same time. Mine are usually leaking a little anyway. I don't know about the K24 but my F22 engine also has o-rings under the rocker arm assembly that seal against oil getting into the spark plug wells. Those are more work to get to, but they should be replaced if your engine has them since they will get hard and start leaking. Many people don't replace them and you end up with oil in the wells thinking it is from the upper seals.

You only need a set of feeler gauges (bent ones are best) to set the adjustment, but you also need a breaker bar and extension to turn the engine so the pistons are at TDC.

Any shop should be able to do the job. I don't see how it could be more than an hour's work just to adjust the arms and a bit more if you go for the o-rings.

It's not bad if you have adjusted tappet valves before, pro tip: you can rotate the engine with the power steering pulley nut (14mm?) providing you have removed all the spark plugs. I'll need to check my factory shop manual to see what the frequency is, I want to say 75k?

I had a 2008 CR-V with the K24. Valve adjustment is not hard to do. You will need a little tube of RTV to add two small dabs of RTV where the cover meets the block at the corners on the crank pulley end of the engine, you should see where the old dabs are in the "valleys", and you'll have to scrape off the old stuff first. You could replace the spark plug tube seals, but mine were fine when I did it. Be sure they sit right around the tubes when the cover goes back on. Works best if you have an angled set of of feeler gauges, but you can bend a straight one a little to fit. There should be a star-shaped hole in the fender well that lines up with the crank pulley bolt, so you can stick a socket wrench on to turn the engine. Turn the engine clockwise (normal rotation) ONLY. The timing marks are on the cam gears, and fortunately you do the intake and exhaust valves at TDC for each cylinder, so you only have to line up #1 first, then turn the engine 180 degrees 3 more times to do the remaining ones. Sorry, I don't remember the exact order.

The K24 isn't known for tightening valves, unlike the B20. I think I had one slightly loose intake valve, but all the other valves were right on. I recall the interval was 105,000 miles or if they are getting noisy.

I've owned three Honda vehicles and adjusted a lot of valves. Not sure of the current Honda engines, but the ones I have worked on could have valves adjusted in three rotations. Use a socket and breaker bar to rotate crank. I used a Go-No Go feeler gauge and then torqued adjustment jam nut. Replace the valve cover o-ring and spark plug seals. Pick a cool morning in the garage and enjoy working on a very nice engine.

The owner's manual for my Odyssey says inspect and adjust valves for every 160,000 KM, that's roughly around 100,000 miles.

But adjusting values every 30,000 miles?

I've never adjusted any of the Honda's....V6's included. Never burned oil and still hauled butt like a scalded dog.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I've never adjusted any of the Honda's....V6's included. Never burned oil and still hauled butt like a scalded dog.

Same here I have never known anyone who has done that,and always ran like a dream with no problems ever.

Honda recommends this service around 100K miles. Loose valves may result in a performance issue and they may be noisy. The real issue is if the exhaust valves are too tight. They won't be noisy but you are risking burning your exhaust valves. If you have burnt an exhaust valve you most likely will have a rough idle and throw codes.

Here is a K24 with a burnt exhaust valve, it does happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=5HAtEvwZ24U

A valve adjustment should be around $150 at an independent mechanic. Dealers charge a wide range of prices probably significantly more than an independent mechanic. Replacing burnt valves is several hundred dollars. I think your pretty close to the service recommendation a good time to get it done.

I used to do my K20A3 every 30k after finding a cam lobe imploded when investigating a loud ticking from the engine. It called for every like 110 or 120 or something. Basically unless it's making awful nosies don't adjust, is what mechanics told me. Aside from the bad cam, mine rarely needed much adjustment every 30k. I'd tighten them so the smallest feeler would go, the biggest wouldn't, and the medium was just right. They loosened slightly in 30k. Not enough to worry about but since I opened it, I did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back