Traffic light Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major road nearby has been under construction since the first of April. No sign of being done anytime soon, even though the signs say 90 days
mad.gif
. Eastbound traffic is diverted around the section under construction. Westbound is open, but the right lane is closed so we drive on the left side for a stretch. In that stretch, there are two traffic lights, but the cross streets are blocked off so the only traffic is the westbound. For reasons unknown, the lights were flashing for about a week, but they have resumed normal operation. About half the people (including me) figure there must be some reason they are operating and stop when the lights are red. Other half just ignores them. Unless a cop felt like handing out petty tickets when one could argue that the roads are closed and therefore the lights could be left flashing red or yellow, what does one do? Starting to think stopping momentarily, seeing no traffic, and going is sufficient. Maybe it's been closed so long, they're afraid people will forget there are lights there if it re-opens someday
lol.gif

The wisest thing to do is stop. It's a red light, end of story. Bringing "conditions" into the scenario is open to interpretation.

Now, in all reality, unless the local police have nothing better to do, I'm guessing they aren't that bored or strict.

Public street, working traffic light, you have to obey them. Failure to do so risk a ticket, and insurance grief in the case of an accident.

You could call the municipality and notify them of the issue; in case they are simply unaware, or maybe they have just left it to the contractor to handle, maybe they can program the light properly or order the contractor to do the same. But obey it whatever happens, or ignore it at your sole risk.

Obey. Sounds like there is a miscommunication. traffic controls should be changed or disabled for the construction period. Id go to the local paper and the town manager and maybe the local Police lieutenant

what they all said. if the light is working, and there's no cop or flagman directing you to do otherwise, obey the light.

and just a small addendum/reminder of something i see often(ish), if there is a traffic light that is just plain non-operational, power is out, whatever, the intersection defaults to a 4 way stop. PERIOD.

whenever this happens i always see people either blast through, or sit there waiting for divine inspiration on when to proceed.

Originally Posted By: Kira
The 4-Way Stop thing is funny. Did you ever hear about how to go through one during driver's ed.?

yes.
come to a full & complete stop, and then, if the intersection is clear, proceed.
if another vehicle or vehicles is at the intersection, the one that stopped first, proceeds first.
if 2 or more stop at the same time, preference is given to the driver to the right of the other. the Rightmost vehicle goes first, next most right, etc.
it's a dual meaning to the term "Right of Way"(in Left hand Drive Countries). the Driver to the RIGHT, has the Right to go first.(if you are in a right hand drive country, the Driver to the LEFT is given Right of way.)

and if any of the above is wrong, please do correct me.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Kira
The 4-Way Stop thing is funny. Did you ever hear about how to go through one during driver's ed.?

yes.
come to a full & complete stop, and then, if the intersection is clear, proceed.
if another vehicle or vehicles is at the intersection, the one that stopped first, proceeds first.
if 2 or more stop at the same time, preference is given to the driver to the right of the other. the Rightmost vehicle goes first, next most right, etc.
it's a dual meaning to the term "Right of Way"(in Left hand Drive Countries). the Driver to the RIGHT, has the Right to go first.(if you are in a right hand drive country, the Driver to the LEFT is given Right of way.)

all correct. problem is probably only half the population knows this, and out of that only half apply it. it's a free for all when driving now, and just having people stop at stop signs is a plus. sick of the idiots on the road.

Has anyone else noticed people when approaching a 4 way stop, they will stop 10-15 feet before the line and then assume that counts so they just blow through the intersection?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Has anyone else noticed people when approaching a 4 way stop, they will stop 10-15 feet before the line and then assume that counts so they just blow through the intersection?

Yep, seen it. I've also seen where one car stops at the line, another car stops behind that one, and when the lead car goes, the one behind follows them through since they satisfied the "stop" requirement.

Originally Posted by SHOZ
What do you do when the stop sign is before the line on the road? Double stop?

My Driver's Ed instructor said "Line, or Sight"

stop at the line, unless that line is far enough back to obstruct your view around the corner, (corn field, commercial signage, bushes, etc.) in which case you pull ahead until you can see around the corner, making sure not to go TOO far forward, and putting your nose into the cross traffic lane.

Originally Posted by earlyre
what they all said. if the light is working, and there's no cop or flagman directing you to do otherwise, obey the light.

and just a small addendum/reminder of something i see often(ish), if there is a traffic light that is just plain non-operational, power is out, whatever, the intersection defaults to a 4 way stop. PERIOD.

whenever this happens i always see people either blast through, or sit there waiting for divine inspiration on when to proceed.

Originally Posted by Kira

Originally Posted by earlyre
Originally Posted by Kira

yes.

This may be correct depending on location-in OH, your likely correct per the laws there.

Here in the great state of Michigan our legislators in their infinite wisdom determined that there is a precedent at intersections where the signal is non functioning due to a power outage etc. The law here says that the "primary or major" route has the right of way and those motorists can proceed thru the intersection as if their light is green, those on the minor side street crossing have to wait for a break in traffic before they can proceed as if they had a stop sign or a flashing red light. Their logic is that the primary street would have the right of way over the minor street if there had never been a light there so if the one there is malfunctioning then it is to be treated like the light isn't there.

I can see the logic of it at the root of things but it leaves far too much open to interpretation especially at major to major road intersections-where 2-5 lane roads intersect what drives is to say their leg of the intersection is the major or minor? Add to that you must trust that the driver in the other side of the intersection knows what to do and will do it properly so that you can proceed or should you just err to caution and stop?

While the above is the strict legal version the accepted practice is to treat as a 4-way stop as is described above....

That's all fine in theory, but here almost nobody ever comes to a stop at a 4-way stop. They just coast right through, especially if another driver does stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back