Digital Valve Actuation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this has been posted before. If so, I apologize in advance.

I just read an interesting article about a new style of valve actuation for internal combustion engines. Here is the link:

Intelligent Valve Actuation

A British company has developed a technology that decouples the actuation of intake and exhaust valves from the crankshaft. Each valve is actuated independently. This allows for greater exploration of fuel efficiency techniques such as VVT, etc. Significant efficiency increases are expected. More interestingly, it would allow for short duration of 2 stroke operation (and increased power) from a four cycle engine. Conversely, 12 stroke operation would mimic cylinder deactivation under low load situations, but the dead cylinder can be switched randomly between any of the engines cylinders. The options for independent engine tuners would seem to be greatly increased as well.

It won't be cheap, but new technology never is. Prices will eventually come down.

Looks promising to me.

What could go wrong? The legendary expertise of Brits + Electricity, yeah that's going to be as reliable as any Lexus.

I predict a rush of hasty ideas before the epoch of the internal combustion engine is supplanted by electric or other non-fossil fueled engines.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
What could go wrong? The legendary expertise of Brits + Electricity, yeah that's going to be as reliable as any Lexus.

It wont be a reliable as a Yugo made on Monday AM. Nothing more unreliable than Lucas electrics except for maybe Magneti Marelli.
Anything built by those two together wouldn't make it off the lot.

I predict a rush of hasty ideas before the epoch of the internal combustion engine is supplanted by electric or other non-fossil fueled engines.

I drove carbed cars longer than I should have. I was afraid of black boxes leaving me stranded. Lessee, In 22 yrs and 5 BMWs. I've replaced a set of injectors with a used set, a fuel pump, also used ,a relay or 2. 35' of fuel injection rated hose. Spread out over 22 yrs and 5 cars, thats pretty reliable.
Look at the the timing chains on a DOHC V6. Oil pressure driven variable valve timing. I think that I wouldn't the first ones,but 5 yrs after..

In the not so distant future I see electronically actuated valves that can have infinitely variable timing, duration, and lift. I just don't think I want to have the very first model. Same goes for these engines. These new Infiniti VC engines are a good example of that. It is just too early to tell.

Lucas electrics from the old days were notoriously unreliable but These days we have Emerald and DTA and ARM and many other successful and competent electrical/wiring/processing/coding companies. The stereotypical jokes around MG and Jaguar wiring are now more out of date and inaccurate than ever before.

In 1958 Porsche made application for a German Patent, also applied for and published as British Patent GB861369 in 1959. The Porsche patent used an oscillating cam to increase the valve lift and duration. The desmodromic cam driven via a push/pull rod from an eccentric shaft or swashplate. It is unknown if any working prototype was ever made.

In 2001, BMW introduced the Valvetronic system. The Valvetronic system can continuously and precisely vary intake valve lift, and in addition, the independent Double VANOS system can concurrently vary the timing for both the intake and exhaust valves. The precise control the system has over the intake valves allows for the intake charge to be controlled entirely by the intake valves, eliminating the need for a throttle valve and greatly reducing pumping loss. The latter alone can boost both power output and fuel economy 10-15%. Furthermore, both systems can also be combined with BMW DIVA (Differentiated Variable Air Intake) system which is the world's first continuously variable length intake manifold. As 2017 BMW is the only company which can implement all three Variable Valve Timing, Lift and Intake Manifold in continuous adjustment form on production car.

More interesting info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_lift

The old Lucas stuff on Triumph motorcycles from the 70s was pretty decent. I didn't like the thin gauge wire they used, though but it hasn't caused trouble either. I've heard cars were a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back