Oil for Cummins 8.3L Diesel Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old city bus that has a Cummins 8.3L diesel motor. I have been using Rotella T4 15W-40 Diesel oil in it for the past few years, with a Fleetguard LF9009 filter each change.
Was wondering if anyone has any other recommendations or if I should just keep doing what I've been doing.

I also use Luiq-Moly MoS2 in my regular gasoline vehicles, but was wondering if it would also be good to use in the Cummins? Or do they make a diesel variety?

Thanks for any advice.

Any of the major brands will give you similar results. The moly additive probably doesn't do much.

Cummins has been the de facto engine in many city transit fleets - keep on doing that you're doing. I haven't asked the local transit authority what oil they are using in a mixed Cummins/Detroit fleet but I've always seen a case of Delo 400 in the service trucks of another agency.

Out of curiousity, what kind of bus do you have?

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a 99 Eldorado National Transmark 29RE made by Thor Industries. Used to be a Denver city bus. We got it in 2011 for $3500.

You care far, far more about what is in the crankcase than does the engine. As long as you use a properly spec'd lube, it simply won't matter.
Ditch the additives.

Originally Posted By: batook
It's a 99 Eldorado National Transmark 29RE made by Thor Industries. Used to be a Denver city bus. We got it in 2011 for $3500.

Nice - I see quite a few of those in SF doing service as the Presidio resident/employee shuttles but they are CNG models. The SF Bay Area is mostly Gillig-dominant seeing how they are a local company(Livermore, used to be 20 minutes south of Oakland in Hayward). But there are MCIs, New Flyers and one of the largest fleet of VanHools here too.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a 99 Eldorado National Transmark 29RE made by Thor Industries. Used to be a Denver city bus. We got it in 2011 for $3500.

What do you use it for?

Originally Posted By: Balrog006

What do you use it for?

I second this question.. what an interesting vehicle to have. Google shows me it's a bit smaller than what you would typically think of a city bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back