:::Why Ford Made An INCREDIBLE Blunder (RE 2019 Ford Ranger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
What is the pricing and features on the Taco? Compare that to the Ranger.
Cheapest new Tacoma is $23,000 according to truecar.com .... So thats more expensive than the least Colorado, and the Ranger costs a little more. ... A new Frontier (cheapest equipped) is at $18,000, so its got about a $2,000 advantage over the Colorado, and makes the Tacoma and Ranger look too expensive.

Considering the Tacoma base engine is a sad 159 HP/6A combo, $25k for a nearly 300 HP turbo and a 10A is a bargain.

Last edited:
Ford knows the truck market very well, so I'd not consider this any sort of blunder, much less an INCREDIBLE one.
Ford might sell a couple of dozen strippo stick Rangers to the truly cheap only to have the availability of this model put downward price pressure on the entire line.
Ford is well aware that the demand for strippo trucks is right up there with that for strippo passenger cars since most trucks are sold as personal use vehicles.
As with most sedan buyers, most truck buyers want all the toys and are willing and able to pay for them.
Ford is not trying to sell a Third World econo model in a market where there is no significant demand for such a truck.
Back in the eighties, sure, but not today.

GMC already has a five year lead with the Canyon, they cost much less than the Ranger is planned to, and the General Motors product has a proven track record and already has a following. GM also didn’t name it the S-10 or the Sonoma again. I don’t know about Ford bringing back the stale name Ranger. Or the Bronco either. I do not think Ford has a great track record with ‘revivals’ either look at the Thunderbird.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
As with most sedan buyers, most truck buyers want all the toys and are willing and able to pay for them.
Ford is not trying to sell a Third World econo model in a market where there is no significant demand for such a truck.
Back in the eighties, sure, but not today.

This.

With the 150k to 200k service life of modern late model cars, it doesn't make sense to produce those stripped down models. They'd just be competing used cars (likely better equipped).

I realize i am an exception. I want a truck, real truck, that rides like a truck, with manual transmission. Power steering, power brakes, I can out in my own radio, standard cab and a minimum of 6,5 foot bed, 8 would be better. Steelies, steel bumpers, 2 wheel drive, limited slip, rubbermat, cloth seats, sliding rear window.

rod.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
How about a Ford BITOG special? Pushrod V-6, hand cranked windows, radio with jack but no fancy phone lik or screen. What else?

+1, and a crank start. That will make real men out of some in the cold winters.

I would like to say, when it comes to low end compact sports cars, Mazda is doing it right with the MX-5 Miata. A compact sports car that can compete with Mustang and Challenger. Cost less as well. A car that is actually getting "smaller".

Last edited:
Since someone asked, this is a base '16 Silverado. The only option on the build sheet was carpet (wish it had rubber). Funny thing is it came with locks, windows, cruise, auto headlights, auto trans. No infotainment, signals in mirrors, cameras, etc. Just a truck. Best thing ever are the steps in the corners of the rear bumper.

I built a XL, 4x4, crew cab, tow package, bedliner and locking diff and it was about $33k. I absolutely love the look of the XL with the steel wheels. i'm not a Ford fan, but I will watch with interest how these are received and how that 4 cylinder and 10 speed auto does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Since someone asked, this is a base '16 Silverado. The only option on the build sheet was carpet (wish it had rubber). Funny thing is it came with locks, windows, cruise, auto headlights, auto trans. No infotainment, signals in mirrors, cameras, etc. Just a truck. Best thing ever are the steps in the corners of the rear bumper.

Looks good! I tossed around the idea of getting the RAM version of your truck with a crew cab, 3.6l and 4x4. Problem is that my wife drives the gas guzzler of the fleet and she didn't want to pilot a full size pickup around, so we got the base Outback which she loves.

Remember, Ford and GM are run by the bean counters. A lot of bean counting is to look good on paper and spreadsheets.

Originally Posted By: CARJ
I built a XL, 4x4, crew cab, tow package, bedliner and locking diff and it was about $33k. I absolutely love the look of the XL with the steel wheels. i'm not a Ford fan, but I will watch with interest how these are received and how that 4 cylinder and 10 speed auto does.

I like the sloping hood. Things were getting silly with the large front ends on the trucks.Mine’s bigger than yours.
lol.gif

I wish I could reply individually to everyone; I do appreciate y'all taking the time to write.

Yes. I do indeed wish for a basic truck, and I do understand that the margins are slim. I also understand that the majority of consumers are willing to spec out their trucks with options, but that doesn't mean that I find that to be an acceptable option for myself.

The issue with the Ranger is twofold: most everyone commented on the Ranger's price, which, at $25.3 is too high. Too high as compared to what? The base F150 comes in around that price; the Colorado prices around 20k, as does Nissan's Frontier. A five thousand dollar price spread is significant.

Toyota's Tacoma comes in around $24,5, yet the Tacoma is an almost guaranteed 200-250k truck - properly maintained.

The other issue is the Ranger's powertrain: I can't imagine the majority of fleet buyers going for a 300HP truck, with a 10 speed automatic, that will be cost prohibitive to rebuild.

Ford is going after the "lifestyle/adventure" crowd with it's new Ranger; targeting a well defined niche while alienating fleet and work truck buyers - not the best strategy.

Moreover, there's a bit of overlap between the Ranger and the F150. A bit too much, actually. Why would I spend 30 grand on a Ranger when I could get a nicely equipped F150?

Had Ford come in around 20-22 thousand with the new Ranger, replete with a normally aspirated engine and manual transmission or six speed automatic, they would compete with Chevy and Nissan, while giving salespeople the option of upselling perspective customers.

The mid trim levels come in at $28-29; much too high for a midsized truck, especially when similarly priced full sized trucks are becoming more and more efficient.

Is it me, or does that thing look like it's missing hub caps?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There is a disconnect between the automakers and the general public on the small pickup sector. I agree, there is a market for a plain barebones pickup truck.

Yes, there is.

Used mid sized trucks typically sell very fast at dealerships even with a marked up price tag.

The rear axle looks like a Toyota's.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back