Barn Find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car magazines are always talking about “ Barn Finds “, or cars found put away and re-discovered. Here is more of a bush find, but for lawnmowers. My neighbour has these two lawn mowers out back. One is a MTD and one Is a Toro self propelled with a Personal Plus bar. Both appear to have Tecumseh engines. One is a 6.5 horsepower model. Are Tecumseh engines pretty good or just so-so.

I have a Craftsman mower with the same 6.5 hp engine and I have not had any problems with the engine.

Hopefully they were not left sitting with gas in the tank.

Good luck.

I paid $40 for one of these last year and my neighbor tossed one after that so I grabbed it too for parts. It has served me well thus far. All I had to do is clean the carburetor and it cranked on the second pull.

Keep the airfilter clean and use good gas and you should be fine. Plenty of aftermarket parts out there.

Mowers don't fare well when left to sit on grass.. check for bad rust.

But my mower is identical to the one on the left, assuming it is RWD. Runs like a champ and cuts OK.

I've had better personal experiences with tecumseh and appreciate their pressurized lube designs in everything from 3.5hp up that I had.

I have the same Tecumseh 6.5HP engine on an older Toro. More than likely, that primer bulb is rotted out on your carb and it will start then quit running. Mine was ok, but those Tecumseh carbs are picky to clean. I ended up buying a new genuine carb from here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-TECUMSEH-WITH-GASKET-640350-640303-640271-LV195EA-LEV100-LEV105-LEV120/251939869314?hash=item3aa8c95282:g:2cgAAOxy2CZTYQlZ

Tecumseh engines are built to be disposable. They are not built to be rebuilt. As boom10fful says, if the carb is bad, plan on just replacing it.

I could sure use those Toro wheels.I have had good luck with my Tecumsehs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Tecumseh engines are built to be disposable. They are not built to be rebuilt. As boom10fful says, if the carb is bad, plan on just replacing it.

So far, I have been using mine for 2 years. Starts up on the first pull every time. After I raised the RPMs a little bit, it doesn't bog down as much on heavy grass. Decent engine with very affordable parts availability.

the one pictured on the left looks identical to the one I bought used several years ago .biggest problem I had was getting the carb cleaned out after that it ran and still runs fantastic starts first pull every time , I changed the primer bulb and add a shot of marvel mystery to it every other tank...I have no problem getting parts so far

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Unless the cylinder is lined, all engines are disposable regardless of brand.

I despise Tecumseh engines. That 195cc flat head is really low on power. The Briggs 190cc flat head has a lot more power. And all the overhead valve engines blow that terd out of the water.

I have professionally repaired both B&S and
Tecumseh engines for the past almost 50 years, and in my professional opinion they are both good. It is like saying which is better Ford or Chevy. Each have there good and bad points. My personal riding mower is a Swisher 3 wheel twin blade 32 inch cut mower that I bought new in 1972. It mowed an acre weekly for many many years, but for the last 15 years it has only mowed a quarter acre. I still use it all the time, as a matter of fact I have been having to mow every 4 days this year. So far since new, the points and condenser have been replaced once and carb cleaned once, and probably 6 or 8 spark plugs. Burns a little oil now, but not much. Starts on second pull.

Originally Posted By: old1
I have professionally repaired both B&S and
Tecumseh engines for the past almost 50 years, and in my professional opinion they are both good. It is like saying which is better Ford or Chevy. Each have there good and bad points. My personal riding mower is a Swisher 3 wheel twin blade 32 inch cut mower that I bought new in 1972. It mowed an acre weekly for many many years, but for the last 15 years it has only mowed a quarter acre. I still use it all the time, as a matter of fact I have been having to mow every 4 days this year. So far since new, the points and condenser have been replaced once and carb cleaned once, and probably 6 or 8 spark plugs. Burns a little oil now, but not much. Starts on second pull.

That's cool. I'd really like to see a pic of that Swisher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back