OBDII Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be servicing our GS350 transmission soon; you check them at a specific transmission fluid temperature.

Based on your experience, can you recommend a Bluetooth adapter and app that will work?

Torque is the well known app; any guidance?
Amazon recommends this adapter:
BAFX Bluetoogh Adapter

Thanks in advance.

OBDLink LX + OBDLink's own app or the DashCommand app. Torque is good but I can't stand the user interface. If you need advanced functionality for Ford and GM buy the OBDLink MX instead.

Last edited:
I bought one of those BAFX adapters back in January. They're BIG compared to many of the other adapters, but they're good. Highly rated, solidly built, and works well.

I have the same adapter and it works, as opposed to many other, smaller I have tried. The only problem comes when using the app. I have used Torque but never managed to get all parameters working as some of the YouTube videos. I am sure, I am making some mistake but what/where I have no clue.

It would have been awesome if these come with an app too, so you don't have to fiddle around and just get the job done.
Edit: I know, there are some that come with an app, but I can't justify paying at least $60.

Last edited:
I bought one of the BAFX scanners over a year ago. It works very well. The only problem is the plastic case is a bit fragile so be careful pushing it into the obd2 port.

I use both the ancel bluetooth(yellow label) and ethernet(black label) adapters. They cost $6-10 on ebay. They work well with torque pro. Not as good as obdlink but a cheaper alternative. They are obd 1.4 compliant.

The OBDLink LX and MX are great fast devices that when left in will time out after the engine is shut off and go into sleep mode with no current draw.

We are 100% Ford at the moment so I use ForScan with my generic bluetooth adapter. I also have Torque which works reasonably well for other makes.

Thanks for all the replies; you guys did a great job.
So, what did I do?

BAFX PRODUCTS OBDII

Rated high on Amazon; $22 and change.
Tried it out on the 2001 Tundra.
Loaded Torque Lite and connected via Bluetooth.
Added a few little apps; works fine.

Then loaded ELMScan Demo for Toyota; I was able to read transmission fluid temperature, which was my goal.
I will probably get the $5 version.

I will service the GS350 transmission soon.
He who dies with the most tools wins.

Last edited:
Ohh it's very cheap! I was checking Innova obd2 scan tools. But, I didn't find less than 100 bucks. Now thinking to buy this $22 scanners.

From the Torque App info on google play store:

The app needs a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter to work. The adapter is small and plugs into the diagnostics socket on the car which gives your phone access. You can find a list of adapters on: http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters (Garmin EcoRoute HD adapters not supported)

If you buy one of the cheap china OBD2 ELM327 bluetooth adapters from ebay / amazon, then make sure you have a good returns policy with the seller

Some of the best reliable OBD2 / OBD adapters are the Scantool.net adapter, the OBDKey, and PLX Devices, OBDLink, Bluetooth, ELM327 and other adapters are supported - search on google for them

From the Torque App info on google play store:

The app needs a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter to work. The adapter is small and plugs into the diagnostics socket on the car which gives your phone access. You can find a list of adapters on obd2 http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters (Garmin EcoRoute HD adapters not supported)

If you buy one of the cheap china OBD2 ELM327 bluetooth adapters from ebay / amazon, then make sure you have a good returns policy with the seller

Some of the best reliable OBD2 / OBD adapters are the Scantool.net adapter, the OBDKey, and PLX Devices, OBDLink, Bluetooth, ELM327 and other adapters are supported - search on google for them

Ya got it. Make sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back