19 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest (and purist) libertarian I know drives a Prius and is about to buy a Bolt (Also owns a 6.4PSD too). Does not really like gas taxes, but also is fence-sitting with Gov. Motors and the Bolt. Shrug. Most folks just by a car for the cup-holders.

There are just a lot of the flag-wavers that buy "murica" that can't be bothered to actually look-up a vehicle first. Some vehicles are better than others if that matters so folks should do their homework.

So then you folks need to do YOUR homework before stomping all over me. The Cherokee has a 72% domestic parts content, with engine, transmission parts and final assembly from the USA with union labor. It's one of the most American made cars in existence and def in the top 5. As a former union man the clueless MAGAs like to talk smack about us, but unions are responsible for the large middle class here and by busting them your lifestyle may suffer too.

^ Didn't you just get rid of a newer FCA product because of some issues it had? But of course you never said what the specific problems were. Only mentioned all the positives about it. Which is why I was surprised you got rid of it so soon.

No problems at all. Mainly just wanted an automatic transmission and my wife really liked the new Mustang GT. I got the Mustang for her and I can take or leave driving a new car. My daily commuter is a Y2k Mustang. There were a couple things I didn't like, such as visibility and the rough ride of the track pack suspension, but the car was very reliable and got surprisingly good fuel mileage.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
So then you folks need to do YOUR homework before stomping all over me. The Cherokee has a 72% domestic parts content, with engine, transmission parts and final assembly from the USA with union labor. It's one of the most American made cars in existence and def in the top 5. As a former union man the clueless MAGAs like to talk smack about us, but unions are responsible for the large middle class here and by busting them your lifestyle may suffer too.

Actually, the 2.4 are 69%... and for comparison, the Toyota Camry is 75%... and that is just assembly. As I said earlier, this particular "Jeep" is almost all Italian intellectual property, from the platform to the powerplant. Still, FCA as not been kind as they rank kinda low for US content. A lot of Mexican and Italian Engines.

Just treat cars as completely global now. The badge means little as you can have "Murican" Kias and Chinese Buicks. So, unless the car is built by my neighbor (sadly NC is mostly heavy vehicle manufacturing) then there is a hard sell for a locally built car.

2019 MODEL YEAR
CHEROKEE LATITUDE 4X4

PARTS CONTENT INFORMATION
FOR VEHICLES IN THIS CARLINE:
U.S./CANADIAN PARTS CONTENT: 69%
MAJOR SOURCES OF FOREIGN PARTS
CONTENT:
MEXICO : 20%
NOTE: PARTS CONTENT DOES NOT INCLUDE FINAL
ASSEMBLY, DISTRIBUTION, OR OTHER
NON–PARTS COSTS.
FOR THIS VEHICLE:
FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT:
BELVIDERE, ILLINOIS, U.S.A.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
ENGINE: UNITED STATES
TRANSMISSION: UNITED STATES

Oh, and if you want to compare other Jeeps...

2018 MODEL YEAR
GRAND CHEROKEE 4X2 ALTITUDE
U.S./CANADIAN PARTS CONTENT: 61%
CONTENT:
MEXICO : 27%
NON–PARTS COSTS.
FOR THIS VEHICLE:
FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT:
DETROIT, MICHIGAN, U.S.A.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
ENGINE: MEXICO

2018 MODEL YEAR
WRANGLER SPORT 4X4
PARTS CONTENT INFORMATION
U.S./CANADIAN PARTS CONTENT: 60%
CONTENT:
MEXICO : 22%
NON–PARTS COSTS.
FOR THIS VEHICLE:
FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT:
TOLEDO, OHIO, U.S.A.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
ENGINE: ITALY

2018 MODEL YEAR
RENEGADE LATITUDE 4X4
U.S./CANADIAN PARTS CONTENT: 22%
CONTENT:
ITALY : 62%

NON–PARTS COSTS.
FOR THIS VEHICLE:
FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT:
MELFI, ITALY
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
ENGINE: UNITED STATES

Link to more accurate data

Don't know where you got your information from, but it's not entirely accurate. The window sticker on the wife's Jeep actually was 72%; I'm not just making that number up. Also, don't forget buying union made makes a difference too for some of us (helps drive up wages a little even if your job isn't union). I know the argument always is that Toyota makes one or two cars with a high American content than GM, etc. so somehow it's "more American" than anything GM, etc. makes.

I am pulling directly from FCA/Jeep window stickers. I don't know how much more accurate it can get.

https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4PJMCB7KD212079

I support unions, particularly in certain field where you have skilled labor set that might not control capital. FYI, I am in the transportation field- with a right-to-work state that bars direct negation, etc, but being union is not an factor for my purchase. Only the quality of the end product serving my needs. I expect for a union to make a superior product and if not, well I am not handing over my wages just because they have a collective bargaining agreement. Propping up an inferior business is just going to make that said business continue bad habits. If your union bus driver is always late getting you to work, do you keep taking the bus?

Toyota always makes a lot of products in the US to the point that it is hard to find a J-vin vehicle (86, Mazda2-clone, etc). My issue with the "big" three is that they are quick to wave the flag but also quick for imported materials. Also, some companies (*cough* Ford... but other too) have reduced the non-rustbelt factories (like the Norfolk factory) so why should a Virginia support manufacturing in another state?

Unions are a necessary counyerbalance to remind corporations to treat their workers fairly, even if their own workforce is not unionized. Unions are as needed as ever, perhaps even more so, since the wages have been stagnant for a very long time now, despite gains in the markets and economy.
I'm surprised people have such a hard time grasping this.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Unions are a necessary counyerbalance to remind corporations to treat their workers fairly, even if their own workforce is not unionized. Unions are as needed as ever, perhaps even more so, since the wages have been stagnant for a very long time now, despite gains in the markets and economy.

Unions are not *necessary*. However, the can be extremely useful, less so with wages and more so with safety and working conditions.

I am pro-union in the private sector but "limited" union in the public sector. Basically, I think public unions can use collective bargaining for everything but direct wages (benefits I am ok with), as at that time they are protesting tax-payers. In theory, the voting public is the "workforce" for the public sector as there is no profits to be shared.

Don't know where you got your information from, but it's not entirely accurate. The window sticker on the wife's Jeep actually was 72%; I'm not just making that number up. Also, don't forget buying union made makes a difference too for some of us (helps drive up wages a little even if your job isn't union). I know the argument always is that Toyota makes one or two cars with a high American content than GM, etc. so somehow it's "more American" than anything GM, etc. makes.

come on... you know that's a falsified claim...

Originally Posted By: earthbound

come on... you know that's a falsified claim...

How do you know it is?

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Unions are not *necessary*. However, the can be extremely useful, less so with wages and more so with safety and working conditions.

I am pro-union in the private sector but "limited" union in the public sector. Basically, I think public unions can use collective bargaining for everything but direct wages (benefits I am ok with), as at that time they are protesting tax-payers. In theory, the voting public is the "workforce" for the public sector as there is no profits to be shared.

Gov't employee unions are necessary too as all workers should have access to outside representation in the workplace. Remember, the employees are paying for union representation out of their checks and management shouldn't have anything to do with whether unions should exist or not in public or private service. I helped organize when I worked for the state, and there was no negotiation for pay, although the state did beat us out of pay raise steps that were in their pay scale because of the state budget.

I'm puzzled how anyone that works for a living would be against representation. There are graphs showing the decline of middle class income and unions, they are linear.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm puzzled how anyone that works for a living would be against representation. There are graphs showing the decline of middle class income and unions, they are linear.

Thank you. Some people just don't don't get it. I actually saw first hand the tail end of what it was like for a guy just out of high school to live the good life in this country. That was in the late 1970s. A lot has changed since then.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Thank you. Some people just don't don't get it. I actually saw first hand the tail end of what it was like for a guy just out of high school to live the good life in this country. That was in the late 1970s. A lot has changed since then.

that's why you get a skillset,and don't have to rely on representation to set your wages. yes I realize in the 70's post secondary education wasn't exactly needed to get a good job. I remember a guy who worked at John Deere's making mid 20's per hr, and I swear the guy couldn't display the alphabet.

Gov't employee unions are necessary too as all workers should have access to outside representation in the workplace. Remember, the employees are paying for union representation out of their checks and management shouldn't have anything to do with whether unions should exist or not in public or private service. I helped organize when I worked for the state, and there was no negotiation for pay, although the state did beat us out of pay raise steps that were in their pay scale because of the state budget.

I respectfully disagree. One more round of beer...

I am a government employee and I do not believe in unions for my sector. Private sector, yes. Public sector, no. There is no profit sharing to be had and therefore no need for collective bargaining. OSHA/workplace safety is handled through the legislative side, and policy is handled via politicians (sigh) and delegated authority.. Keep in mind, we are already afforded some benefits that private employees are not (depending on the grade and not "at will"). The way the state hires is also an item of difference as the pace and practices are different. We do not expand/contract like a private entity. Thus, a lot of State employees are ok with trading the wage for security item. I still maintain that the state employee should not and can not protest the tax-payer. I am sympathetic to school district employees but still, not entering that sector is a bigger gain for increasing wages than strikes.

FYI, all NC state "permanent" employees have a $15 minimum wage.

Good discussion. My 2 cents. I think what’s at issue here is stagnant wages for the middle / working class. Also the massive pay gap that has exploded. Globalism and mass immigration are By far the biggest reasons for the slow destruction of the middle class in America . Nations that create products that sell via manufacturing create wealth and a better standard of living for their citizens. This is how Great Britain / The United States and Germany all did it ? And yes now even China has a growing middle class because “they build stuff.” DO NOT buy into Globalist mantra. Advancing The idea that all cars are global is playing right into the hands of the global plutocrats. I’m not saying it isn’t happening, it is, just don’t accept it and fight back. Mass immigration absolutely destroys wages for lower and middle class working Americans. : Globalism : Shipping jobs overseas : takes away jobs completely. Globalism and open borders is a one way ticket to poverty and Serfdom. Known in some circles as the Globalist shuffle this arraignment allows wealthy business people (and their accomplices in government) to source material and labor at third world prices then import it back into the USA and sell it at 1st world prices. Leaving our domestic labor force completely out of the mix. This is an absolute betrayal of the American workforce and it will Not stand any longer : MAGA :

very nice! I love that color!
We just bought one yesterday with the 3.2; we had been shopping all afternoon at various dealers: The Mitsu Outlander was disappointing. We loved the Subie Forrester, but they only had two Tourings left - didn't care for the color. Went to the Jeep dealer as an afterthought. Wife LOVED the comfort of the seats. done. I'm sure, going from a Rogue, that we will be disappointed in the city MPG, but the highway should be quite good.

Despite the fact it's built at a UAW plant, I'm probably going to buy a new Wrangler JK; it meets my needs better than anything else on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back