Air Filter Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I changed the engine air filter (OEM) on my wife's 2016 Kia Soul. 1.6 GDI (non-turbo).
And what I discovered was the worst horror that could ever be.
A rodent had eaten a hole in the air filter, about the size of a half dollar. Who knows how many miles its been like that.

So, the question is if there's anything I should do to minimize any damage that caused?
Change oil early?

I have a good idea that this happened because she sometimes parks the car where the front end is off the concrete slightly facing a wooded area. I naturally advised against that, but any other preventative ideas (don't need the kill them suggestion, already on that)?

Clean your MAF sensor and install new air filter. What's done is done.

My 2009 Ford Flex left the factory without an air filter in the air box, I made the dealer put in a new one in my driveway at 624km and had my observation noted with Ford Canada for any future engine damages that might be related to the 624km driven with no air filter.

The Flex is at 190,000km and 9 years, the engine is fine.

Originally Posted By: Davejam
So, I changed the engine air filter (OEM) on my wife's 2016 Kia Soul. 1.6 GDI (non-turbo).

Seeing a finger from a human child would not be worse?

Put a filter in, keep driving. Lots of K&N users out there with engines outlasting the cars, or the willingness of the owners to keep them.

Originally Posted By: Davejam
So, I changed the engine air filter (OEM) on my wife's 2016 Kia Soul.

A K&N filter.

Fixed it.

Will she take your parking advice now?

Yes, I have seen this too for vehicles parked long term outside. If they did it once, they will find it again. If you can find the exposed air intake tube leading into the filter box, you might be able to cover the opening with aluminum window screen preferably folded into hemispherical shape and clamp it in place. I don't think that most critters will chew through metal screen.

So that's why they use a hamster as the mascot for the Soul
lol.gif

Change the oil and oil filter, and the air filter. Not much else can be done, worrying about it isn't going to help.

I'm guessing some filter fragments got sucked in. Maybe larry the mouse too is he was at the wrong place, wrong time, lol. But that's a small problem compared to a full blown infestation in the car, which is what happened to my DD. Not sure I'll ever get the smell out.

Ha yeah the Kia gerbil did it. The thought did cross my mind that the critter got sucked into the engine, but I would think that would have generated some noticeable noise or engine issues.

What surprised me is that the filter media that had been torn up was still on the intake side of the filter, so it hadn't substantially gotten sucked into the engine. It probably started to build a nest, but gave up.

I did change the oil, oil filter, and air filter when I discovered it, which I was planning to do at the time of the discovery anyway.

And yes, she will follow my advice, she really likes that car.

There is possibly something worse it is a rat eating your entire wiring harness. That is happening on newer Hondas that use soy-based insulation.

I had a large mouse nest in the bottom of my air box the last time I checked the air filter. However, the filter was not chewed up, surprisingly/luckily.

I wonder if a moth ball, dryer sheet or something known to repel mice at the bottom of the airbox would help prevent the issue? I put 2 moth balls under the seat and in the battery box of my motorcycle after a mouse chewed a section of the wiring harness last winter. I have not had any rodent problems since adding the mothballs. I have tried a few different home remedies to repel mice and mothballs seem to work the best at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back