Sienna radiator design questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a drain & fill on my Sienna (first time I did it on this vehicle). I saw that the radiator cap was far back in the engine compartment, close to the windshield. I did manage to pour in the new coolant, but I was wondering why they ran a hose all the way from the radiator to the cap, when they could have placed it on top of the radiator itself, like most other cars. Is there any advantage to doing it this way--does it make it more difficult for steam to escape the cap, for example? Or would that hose allow some heat to escape (and not build up inside)?

I do have one other question. Is the overflow reservoir a separate unit that can be removed by itself? I jostled it like I did the one in my Civic (which came out pretty easily) and got some resistance, so I decided not to push it and possibly break something. There was no sludge inside the reservoir anyways, so cleaning it wouldn't have done much if I'm not mistaken. But can these things be removed and cleaned?

Last edited:
Just a guess, but having the cap there allows better expansion/contraction control by shorting the hose from tank to engine. It's not steam moving between engine and "reservoir", it's coolant that has expanded with operation and has to have a place to go.I believe the cap on your Sienna allows coolant to go to 265F and NOT boil. That's the whole idea of pressurized cooling systems. Vehicles I grew up with just dumped the coolant to pavement. Haven't seen a puddle of coolant in a parking lot in years.Remove the reservoir cap and give her(the tank) a good yank. Fits on a tapered groove/mount.Go for it paul.

Last edited:
The full cap is up high because of the radiator position in those vans. If you look level with the top of the radiator you'll see how much higher the engine is in relation. They moved the cap to allow you to completely fill the cooling system. If the cap was on the radiator, it would be a nightmare to bleed.

The Mercury Villager vans are a perfect example of this. Try to drain one of those and fill it up on level ground. Can't be done.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
The full cap is up high because of the radiator position in those vans. If you look level with the top of the radiator you'll see how much higher the engine is in relation. They moved the cap to allow you to completely fill the cooling system. If the cap was on the radiator, it would be a nightmare to bleed.

The Mercury Villager vans are a perfect example of this. Try to drain one of those and fill it up on level ground. Can't be done.

Funny you bring up a Villager/Quest, they are a PITA to bleed

I also have the Car version of your Sienna, a V6 Camry

You can't bleed cooling systems without a spill free funnel

The overflow bottle on your Sienna just lifts up with a firm tug

It's also just an overflow, it's not a pressurized surge/expansion tank like a older GM/Ford product

If you don't have a spill free funnel, it's $40 well spent

I left an insane amount of coolant on the driveway today (kitty litter picked it up nicely), and I still had paper towels all around the radiator fill hole--replaced them 3-4 times. I was thinking next time I'll be sure to put the drain pan underneath. A spill free funnel also would be an option worth considering. The Civic didn't spill anywhere near as much.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

The overflow bottle on your Sienna just lifts up with a firm tug

It's also just an overflow, it's not a pressurized surge/expansion tank like a older GM/Ford product

If you don't have a spill free funnel, it's $40 well spent

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 14Accent

An AirLift is your best friend on those - the cooling system bleed point by the IAC is the "high" point but there's so many points where air is trapped on the 1993-2002 Villager/Quest.

I used an AirLift to do the initial fill and then parked the van on an hill facing up to top off the cooling system and get the rest of the air out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back