SuperTech Synthetic 5w20 (6,576 miles) Genesis Coupe 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught the zinc and phosphorus numbers. Interesting...

Got a good chuckle, reach for the folding money with the name brands and dis on SuperTech... it gets no love even when the numbers tell the story.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
Originally Posted By: irv

DOH!
crackmeup2.gif

Zinggggg

Funny how you paid for at least 7 UOAs but would rather save $10 per change by choosing supertech oil.

I never said this shearing was BAD for the engine, just that it sheared more than top tier oils even with a shorter interval. You get what you pay for.

The UOA’s I see show virtually the same miles on the same engine, SuperTech had slightly better viscosity in both categories, slightly better tbn and better wear numbers.

Who gives a care how many UOA’s he paid for? Supertech ranks better by the numbers I am looking at. Seems folks would rather run a more expensive oil and pay for analysis that shows it doesn’t do any better, in fact not quite as good in this case.

Where did Supertech shear more? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I'll just be sticking with SuperTech.

Good choice. Once my oil stash is empty - SuperTech synthetic may be my go-to. Seems to perform as good and/or better than "the best of the best", but for much less $$$. Wish SuperTech made 0w40 though...

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
[

Funny how you paid for at least 7 UOAs but would rather save $10 per change by choosing supertech oil.

I never said this shearing was BAD for the engine, just that it sheared more than top tier oils even with a shorter interval. You get what you pay for.

The money isn't an issue. I do it because I am a technical person and like seeing the results, especially to show people who aren't on forums, or those that are and still abide by the 3,000 mile rule that it isn't necessary and you can run "cheap" oil with great results. Especially when I have a vehicle with over 200,000 miles that has had that treatment the entire time and is still doing great.

To comment on the actual shearing you would need to compare a VOA to the UOA and see the viscosity difference, since we all know to fall within a 5w20 range there is an acceptable margin they can all be within. Some are "thick" 5w20's and some are "thin". Since I could not find a VOA for SuperTech 5w20, only the 5w30, I am not sure how you came to the conclusion. I did however show that Mobil 1 was indeed thinner than the SuperTech at the end of an identical interval since those were the numbers you were going by. The wear metals were fine, so probably little to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Bonz
The UOA’s I see show virtually the same miles on the same engine, SuperTech had slightly better viscosity in both categories, slightly better tbn and better wear numbers.

Who gives a care how many UOA’s he paid for? Supertech ranks better by the numbers I am looking at. Seems folks would rather run a more expensive oil and pay for analysis that shows it doesn’t do any better, in fact not quite as good in this case.

Where did Supertech shear more? Am I missing something?

Unless there is a VOA and UOA of the SuperTech 5w20, which I couldn't find and hope someone else can, I have no idea.

Found the source of that high silicon in my UOA. Oops. Chalk it up to a lot of desert driving.

Chalk it up to a K&N filter. I wouldn't run one in a very dusty environment. They just don't do as well as a good paper filter and as far as cleaning, you would be better off letting it load up with more dirt as it will filter better. Over cleaning a gauze filter, in the long run, is actually worse for the filtering ability.

http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Interesting test I ran across googling around.

I might have to rethink my 'more dirt is better' for the oiled filters, seems that might not be the case.

Last edited:

Found the source of that high silicon in my UOA. Oops. Chalk it up to a lot of desert driving.

I agree with what ctechbob and others have said, Lethal. K&N's are not all they're cracked up to be, and, IMO, should only be used, if desired, in racing applications where people are trying to squeeze every last drop of H/P out of their engines as they can.
Of course, being on the track(s) in most situations, the dust is mostly a non factor. Dailey driving is completely different, imo, especially if one travels down gravel roads , etc.

I have it because I have a cold air intake. It has actually been filtering just fine as long as I keep it clean. My previous UOA's show that it is more than up to properly filtering and the silicon content drops back down when I clean it to normal levels. I also have a water resistant pre-filter on there as well that catches and repels a large majority of the dirt before it even gets to the filter.

Yeah it is hard to tell the true size of those, but they seem a bit large. My filter works a-ok, I just have to clean it.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Originally Posted By: irv

DOH!
crackmeup2.gif

Zinggggg

How do you know M-1 didn't shear in the same interval? From experance PCMO'S shear at first then oxidize. This does not fit your agenda bias.

Yeah it is hard to tell the true size of those, but they seem a bit large. My filter works a-ok, I just have to clean it.

Not to be argumentative, but your silicon numbers don't seem to support that
21.gif
It shouldn't pass dirt, period.

The dimensions of those filters, at least diameter, are listed in the table on that link. But the primary issue in fitting one is indeed space, and sometimes they just can't be fit.

This guy might be workable though:
http://www.volant.com/viewpart.aspx?partnum=61503

3706c.jpg

with a flange adapter of some sort
21.gif

Worth looking into.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif

Look at anyone's UOA and you will find small amounts of silicon in it, it is not possible to get 0ppm silicon in a used sample. If it were, I would like to see it. My numbers support it. When the filter was cleaned more regularly it was doing fine. I also didn't do a lot of desert driving during any other sample, so yeah. Also, the slightly elevated silicon content doesn't really seem to be affecting wear metals, so it isn't much of a concern. It's over 200k miles and still running strong, I'm not terribly concerned.

21.gif

Look at anyone's UOA and you will find small amounts of silicon in it, it is not possible to get 0ppm silicon in a used sample. If it were, I would like to see it. My numbers support it. When the filter was cleaned more regularly it was doing fine. I also didn't do a lot of desert driving during any other sample, so yeah. Also, the slightly elevated silicon content doesn't really seem to be affecting wear metals, so it isn't much of a concern. It's over 200k miles and still running strong, I'm not terribly concerned.

Well, if it doesn't concern you, then I'm unlikely to change your mind. Enjoy the car.

Well, if it doesn't concern you, then I'm unlikely to change your mind. Enjoy the car.

It concerned me enough to clean my filter shortly afterwards, but not enough to freak out. I may take another sample in a few thousand miles and see if anything has changed. We have had 3 or 4 African dust clouds drift all the way over here into Texas in the past month or two that made it really dusty and hazy. It makes me wonder if the tiny particle sizes that are capable of staying aloft for thousands of miles made it through the filter.

It concerned me enough to clean my filter shortly afterwards, but not enough to freak out. I may take another sample in a few thousand miles and see if anything has changed. We have had 3 or 4 African dust clouds drift all the way over here into Texas in the past month or two that made it really dusty and hazy. It makes me wonder if the tiny particle sizes that are capable of staying aloft for thousands of miles made it through the filter.

It is certainly possible. The Donaldson filters are insanely efficient, but if that isn't going to have a beneficial effect on the lifespan of your equipment, I would have a hard time justifying the cost.

I am getting ready to move to Abu Dhabi and my car will be in storage for a bit - may even ship it over there if I find out it is legally compliant. If it dies in the Middle Eastern desert after 200k+ miles, she had a good run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back