Toyota UA80E & UA80F Transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else unhappy with the jerky shifting in the new 8-speed Direct Shift UA80E (2WD) / UA80F (AWD/4WD) transmissions found in the 2018 Highlanders and RX-350's?

Anyone know if Toyota is going to release a software update for these?

Low speed shifting is terrible and it always seems to want to hunt for a gear and it can be quite jerky if you catch it between gears at low speeds. Highway seems to be fine other than the odd harsh downshift when passing.

It might be worth a try adding a bottle of Lubegard red,it might help Smooth the shifts. Let us know if it helps or not.

with todays slush box trannys you are at the mercy of what the manufacturer wants the tranny to do, i buy NOTHING but manual shifted vehicles!!!! never would i buy a CVT either as it would not have gone 200,000 miles like my manual in my traded 2001 jetta!!

Originally Posted By: Billbert
It might be worth a try adding a bottle of Lubegard red,it might help Smooth the shifts. Let us know if it helps or not.

Billbert. I'm going to dump the Toyota WS fluid in a bit and put in Amsoil and see what happens first. Then if nothing I will try the Lubegard. Lots of folks are saying the WS fluid isn't the greatest compared to other ATF's

Have you checked over on the Highlander forum? I checked to see if your username is on there but didn't see it. Here is a link to just one discussion of several over there regarding the 8 speed transmission used on the 2017 and newer models.

Toyota 8 speed transmission problems

If you are still under warranty, I wouldn't substitute the factory fluid unless you discuss it with the dealership. Toyota has had some software updates for the transmission so make sure you have the latest one.

With some of the transmissions failing in the 2017 and newer model Highlanders, I would do everything by the book with the dealer at this time.

Like any new transmissions there is always teething issues - be connected closely with the dealership on a regular basis for s/w updates.
IMO it is premature to dump WS and putting something else, a new variable with a non-OEM fluid only aggravates the solution space.

IMO I'd simply use the shifter and lock out gears. I drove manuals for years and I "know" what gear I want. Yeah I'd hate to spend the money on an automatic only to still have to do its work for it: but I find it makes for a much more pleasant drive when I do this. And I don't have to mess with the clutch, so it's still has some advantages over a manual.

Originally Posted By: ls973800
Have you checked over on the Highlander forum? I checked to see if your username is on there but didn't see it. Here is a link to just one discussion of several over there regarding the 8 speed transmission used on the 2017 and newer models.

Toyota 8 speed transmission problems

If you are still under warranty, I wouldn't substitute the factory fluid unless you discuss it with the dealership. Toyota has had some software updates for the transmission so make sure you have the latest one.

With some of the transmissions failing in the 2017 and newer model Highlanders, I would do everything by the book with the dealer at this time.

Already been to these forums. It affects build dates earlier than mine. Spend the money to get a Toyota Tech Info subscription for 2 days and checked out all the TSB's and software updates. Nothing applies to my transmission build date / software calibration for both the TCM and ECU

I was going to wait until about 50,000km (30K miles) and then do a complete change out the Transmission fluid with the appropriate Amsoil ATF which meets the WS fluid specification. (Using a cooler line to drain and refill at the same time) In the manual it claims the transmission is sealed for life unless used under heavy duty conditions, towing or fleet in which case it is supposed to be changed at 100,000km (60,000 miles). (I drive a ton of miles for work so I would consider this fleet use so I will be changing it).

Thanks for everyone's input. I was just interested to see if anyone else had this 8 speed in a Highlander or RX-350 and had similar experiences. That said, I'm coping by changing the shifting program to "Power" at low speeds (to hold gears longer which reduces jerkiness) and to "Eco" on the highway (for the lowest RPM's coasting). This seems to be the best compromise without having to shift it manually.

It's just annoying but can be lived with. It's quite disappointing from Toyota considering their 6 speed was really nice in how it shifted in the earlier Highlanders. Even my old 2006 Santa Fe shifted nicer.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like a software update, or several updates, should take care of this issue.

Regarding the ATF change, for traditional automatics, there is a good paper posted by Doug Hillary I think with some compelling evidence that changing the ATF within the first 10k miles or so, gets rid of the most contaminants that get produced by a transmission. If my memory serves me correct, the number is around 70% of total contaminants produced within that short first 10k mile span.
That paper is quite old so the number may be lowered now, but who knows with more gears and multi lock torque converters. I would do a cooler line exchange really early and then stick to 100k kilometer intervals.

Originally Posted by FL-400S
Any updates on this transmission? Clunky but reliable?

I traded the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back