Monroe Max Lift hatchback lift supports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a quick search and read here that Monroe has different parts lines, some of which are held in higher regard than others. I need lift supports for my Civic hatchback. RockAuto has Monroes for $31 plus shipping, which is more than others that RA has labled "economy," but I'm willing to pay $10-15 more for parts that won't break down in 2-3 years. The actual part is Max-Lift® Gas Charged Lift Support, http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/901471/ for the right, and 901472 for the left.

In the same category "Standard," which must mean higher quality than the Economy group, RA has Strongarm and Sachs.

Any recommendations?

I've got a pair of the max lift for my hood about 4yrs old,
and a pair for my rear tail gate glass those are about 2yrs old both working fine got them at rockauto.

I had the Monroe ones nearly crack my jaw and glass on my Villager, while the lift gate ones were weaker then the factory work units

I had much better luck with Sachs/Stabilus

Originally Posted By: paulri
Slacktide, have you used both Monroe and Sachs, and find Sachs better, or is it just that you like Sachs because you've used them?

FWIW, this is what RA has for my car: https://www.amazon.com/Sachs-SG226032-Lift-Support/dp/B00H7UQUGY

I have not used Monroe, but I do like the Sachs struts. Mine happened to be made in Germany. Before the Sachs, I had the Weak Arm, and they did not last very long. They were made in Korea.

My data set is small since this was the only time I needed to replace the lift supports. I have not used Monroe's lift supports.

OK thanks for clarifying that.

At this point, support for Monroe seems mixed in this thread.

In case I do order the Sachs, it appears that RA only has one type (not a left and right side) for my vehicle. Monroe has a left and right part--different part #--for my Civic. The Stabilus site did not have a page for the unit RA is offering (Sachs SG226032 Gas Charged Hatchback Lift Support); I'm wondering do some companies make one unit that could fit either side?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

I have not used Monroe, but I do like the Sachs struts. Mine happened to be made in Germany. Before the Sachs, I had the Weak Arm, and they did not last very long. They were made in Korea.

My data set is small since this was the only time I needed to replace the lift supports. I have not used Monroe's lift supports.

My car will be 6 years old in October. I'm still on the factory struts for the hatch and the one for the hood as they still work good.
The car was assembled in Germany so I'm guessing Sachs is a good choice.

Originally Posted By: paulri
OK thanks for clarifying that.

At this point, support for Monroe seems mixed in this thread.

In case I do order the Sachs, it appears that RA only has one type (not a left and right side) for my vehicle. Monroe has a left and right part--different part #--for my Civic. The Stabilus site did not have a page for the unit RA is offering (Sachs SG226032 Gas Charged Hatchback Lift Support); I'm wondering do some companies make one unit that could fit either side?

Yes, sometimes companies do make one unit that can fit either side.

Strange that it's not shown on the Stabilus site, but it does appear in the showmetheparts catalog. The Stabilus site seems geared towards the European market, which could explain the difference.

On a whim, I just contacted my local Honda dealer. If the originals lasted 20 years, I thought I'd give them a shot. They want $131 EACH! Ouch.

Now its making me think--how likely are these cheaper aftermarket parts, to last 15 years? This car just hit 201K, and I'm only putting on 7K a year in miles, although if it follows kids to college that might change. But the fact is, these lift supports probably didn't get used all that much--I almost never use the hatchback for anything really. It takes me to work, I drive kiddoes around, and even for shopping I put the stuff in the front & back seats. I probably lifted that hatchback 50 times in all, maybe even less than that.

So maybe its not that the OEM parts are so great--its just that I didn't use them. But still, 20 years is 20 years.... Thoughts anyone?

Re the Sachs, the showmetheparts site has that one part for the DX, and has a quantity of 2, so yeah it must be that it is one unit that can fit either side.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Yes, sometimes companies do make one unit that can fit either side.

Last edited:
Well I got another good recommendation for Monroe from a friend who sells car & truck parts, so I think I'll go with them. He also said that Monroe could be OEM anyways--that often they will sell parts for a lot less than the OEM sells them for, but the only difference is that one part is stamped Monroe, the other the OEM. Based on that, $260 for lift supports is out of the question.

In another 5 years or so I'll bump this thread and let everyone know how they're holding up.

Looks like another classic car frig magnet is on the way from RockAuto.

I have used them quite a few times and never had a problem with them, some are going on 6 years now and still fine.
If they only made their shocks and struts that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back