10W30 Magnatec 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 6100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 6100 miles on 10W30 Castrol Magnatec 21,000 miles on truck, oil monitor was 39 % left with 630 total hrs and 99 idle hours with only a little towing on this oil. Went longer on this oil change due to a 1800 mile road trip. To recap, 1st is factory, 2nd is dealer bulk, 3rd is Penzoil Platnum 10W30, 4th Castrol Magatec 10W30 semi syn. Also send virgin sample of oil used in #4 change just to compare used vs new oil. Put 10W30 Magnatec back and will change early next time to get back on 5000 mile change at 25,000 miles.

Another strong showing for Magnatec...especially the 10W-30 version which i believe is now a Synthetic. Fabulous Noack number.
I'm beginning to wonder "why use Edge?" when you can get these results with Magnatec. Unless, of course, your vehicle requires the extra certifications and approvals.

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-sta...-motor-oil.html

Last edited:
Really good UOA results. It looks like Ford's EcoBoost engines are pretty solid performers. The wear metals are fine, the fuel dilution looks minimal, didn't affect the wear numbers. And the oil shearing was still in grade. Not a lot of TBN left for the miles but that was probably due to idling time. This oil obviously is not a Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil
grin.gif
, yet you didn't have LSPI events because I believe your wear metals would have shown high levels in the oil if it happened. Good report. thanks.

Whimsey

Sorry forgot to write that this Magnatec is Semi-synthetic and the hours on the truck including idle hours are total hours for the life of the truck.

Originally Posted By: Scramblerguy
Sorry forgot to write that this Magnatec is Semi-synthetic and the hours on the truck including idle hours are total hours for the life of the truck.

Does Magnatec come in both a semi synthetic and fully Synthetic form? The Castrol website mentioned a fully synthetic Magnatec that meets SN Plus.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Does Magnatec come in both a semi synthetic and fully Synthetic form? The Castrol website mentioned a fully synthetic Magnatec that meets SN Plus.

It used to be a synthetic blend, a while ago they went to full synthetic - thing is, you might still end up with some old stock because 10w-30 synthetics aren't as hot of a seller as 5w-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
My bad...Blend

LOL don't worry it could change next week.

Nah, no worries

Originally Posted By: dogememe
It used to be a synthetic blend, a while ago they went to full synthetic - thing is, you might still end up with some old stock because 10w-30 synthetics aren't as hot of a seller as 5w-30.

Did they also change the formula or only the label?

Wow, your is doing better than mine.
At 20k, I was on my 2nd change.

My next report will be a while yet. Ford replaced my oil pan and put Motorcraft back in.
That change is coming soon and then right back to the Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith

My next report will be a while yet. Ford replaced my oil pan and put Motorcraft back in.

I guess your plastic pan was leaking? I read after a certain build date in 2018 Ford went back to a aluminum oil pan. Hope your pan is good from here on out.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith

I guess your plastic pan was leaking? I read after a certain build date in 2018 Ford went back to a aluminum oil pan. Hope your pan is good from here on out.

Yep, started between 20 and 30k.
I know the Raptor went back and have heard the regular 3.5 has also.
The tranny pan is composite also.

My '11 6.7 had the composite and they went back to stamped steel in '12.

FWIW, the pan is a throwaway at $36.00.
If it happens again and the new pan is available I may make the switch.

Another great Magnatec UOA with low iron wear numbers, and viscosity still in grade. Thanks for the VOA too.

The older Magnatec both 5W30 and 10W30 was semi-synthetic but always performed very well. Then the 5W30 became full synthetic and now it looks like the 10W30 is becoming full synthetic too.

Here is a link for a VOA done by member Research for the recent Magnatec 5W30 D1-G2 full synthetic
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4790192/
This new stuff now has a Ca & Mg detergent package to reduce LSPI, plus Titanium as an add (I assume anti-wear).

The old stuff performed great, and the new stuff is keeping pace with modern engine requirements. Hard to go past Magnatec in either performance or price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back