New vehicle (s) needed please inform on current CVT’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, a couple family members are asking about which vehicles to purchase. The models on their short list have CVT’s. Seems to be where a decent chunk of the market is headed. Vehicles in question 1. 2018 Subaru Crosstrek : 2. 2018 Honda HRV : 2019 Chevy Malibu : I realize this one may be tough but I need a car in about one year. Are there any CVT’s that have shown to be better than others ? Thanks

I tried to research this heavily when we were going to buy a new Toyota Corolla this past Spring. It seems like Toyota and Honda have the fewest problems and consumer complaints regarding CVT transmissions. And Nissan has the absolute most. Everyone else falls somewhere in between. I was confident enough in the quality and performance of Toyota's CVT's..... Until I drove one.

I just didn't care for it. That, and the fact the Corolla was a lot smaller than it seemed. Once we actually got in one and drove it. So we ended up going with a new 2018 Camry instead. A larger more comfortable vehicle, with a larger more powerful engine. And best of all no CVT. It has a 8-speed, gear driven automatic as standard equipment. At least for now.

My advice if you don't have much or any experience with driving CVT equipped vehicles, would be to drive one extensively. Even go as far as renting one for the day if you possibly can. That way you can make your purchase without having to worry about regretting it later. They all drive a lot differently.

One of my best friends bought a new Crosstrek with a CVT and he likes everything about it but the power. Says it's slow as molasses. He traded a 2007 CRV in for it which he said felt faster, even though on paper I doubt it. Subaru played with the electronic throttle to give it more tip in power which is artificial. Makes the vehicle feel faster than it is which is what Subaru wants you to think during a test drive.

Subaru 6 cylinder losing a drag race big time to a VW Alltrack with half the displacement:

Start at 5:55 to see the drag race

I had 3 Accords with a CVT. No issues... I know the Accord is not on your list, but perhaps this might help.
I have no problem with a CVT. In fact, we just bought a Lexus RX45h, which has one.

As one post states, if you are unhappy with a CVT, there are other options.
Good luck.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
One of my best friends bought a new Crosstrek with a CVT and he likes everything about it but the power. Says it's slow as molasses. He traded a 2007 CRV in for it which he said felt faster, even though on paper I doubt it. Subaru played with the electronic throttle to give it more tip in power which is artificial. Makes the vehicle feel faster than it is which is what Subaru wants you to think during a test drive.

The 2.0l in my daughter's Impreza has less than 150HP, think they may have upgraded the engine family from PFI to DI but it's still pretty weak. We didn't want her to have a car with a lot of power for her first drive, that's a good way for an inexperienced driver to get in trouble. The Crosstrek is bound to be a little heavier than the Impreza and feel even slower. I'm sure even a CRV feels pretty quick compared to a Crosstrek.

The "high torque" CVT in my 2014 FXT had a major repair around 80kmiles, luckily Subaru had extended the warranty on many, if not all, of their CVTs and it was covered. I learned afterwards that that particular CVT had been redesigned during the '15 model year to add a filter and make it more robust. One of the downsides of being an early adopter...the filter cannot be retrofitted (is that a word?) into older transmissions.
Haven't heard anything about the standard Subaru CVTs, hopefully the one in my daughter's car will last a long time without issues.

A manual is definitely faster than a CVT, also 500lbs lighter and lower to the ground however, Ironically the Outback posted a better 0-60 time...so not sure how he was so far behind, driver ability? Regardless id opt for a car without a CVT.

I have three Honda's with CRT's, two civics and an accord.

Only thing I don't like is the "feel" because of no shift points.

I do swap out 4 qts of trans fluid every other oil change.

Other than that, no problem.

This could be a huge issue. One that will likely get buried by the automotive press and other so called “press” for obvious reasons. The main reason for the mass adoption of the CVT is mpg’s / EPA. Seems like a high risk low reward scenario for most owners. Anyone know the avg. cost for a new CVT TRANS. ?

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Anyone know the avg. cost for a new CVT TRANS. ?

About all I could find in my research involving CVT's, was while they are much simpler, and have fewer moving parts than conventional multi speed gear driven automatics, they are much more expensive to replace. However, I had a hard time finding actual dollar numbers to support that.

Quote:
One of my best friends bought a new Crosstrek with a CVT and he likes everything about it but the power. Says it's slow as molasses.

The crosstrek is under powered. Has nothing to do with the CVT

I seriously doubt it. The CVT runs near max HP (constantly) when you get on it.

I haven't broken my CVT yet in the old Nissan Rogue. Wife's crosstrek is very peppy around town less so in the 60 -80 interstate entrance, Crosstrek get over 32 MPG. Nissan only 24 which I feel is terrible but pretty much the average according to CR.

Do I like the crosstrek NO.
Small seats and interior room, noisy and bad rear shocks (dangerously bouncy).
The new one on the new platform may be better.

Nissan Select is very comfortable and has a good ride (SACHS struts std from factory!

I would look for a used '14 Nissan Select for 12 grand and save 12,000 bucks!

Why people are buying the HRV Ill never know. Uneducated.
mini CUV made on the cheap Honda Fit entry platform made cheaply in Mexico and priced near a base CRV. Gutless engine. No, NO NO NO!

Malibu? Cant do anything with a 4 door sedan.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
...Are there any CVT’s that have shown to be better than others ? Thanks

Better in terms of what, feel? Driveability? Longevity? Economy?

The earliest mainstream, high volume user of CVTs is probably Nissan. They've been using them almost exclusively for about 10yrs now. You are going to see the most complaints from Nissan/Jatco units simply because of the number of them out there.

My first CVT vehicle was my 2012 Subaru Legacy. Also owned a 2016 Forester with one and most currently a 2016 Nissan Quest with one. I find them no better or worse than a 5,6,8, etc.. speed FWD step-shift automatic.

Comparing a late model FWD ~8spd with a CVT in terms of how long they'll last is anyone's guess. They will both most likely be impossible to repair and require replacement. Both are very expensive, as all transmission replacements have been regardless of configuration for decades.

Last edited:
There are still some cars in your price range that don't have a CVT. The aforementioned Alltrack is available with a DSG. Mazda's still use regular automatics I believe. There are others.

The only RAV4 with a CVT should be the hybrid. All others should have the 8 speed auto if I am correct. My new Camry Hybrid of course has the CVT and it isn't bad at all. I would rather have a CVT than a DSG. JTK is right. Both the new automatics and CVTs are so complex you are screwed either way.

I can vouch for the 9th gen Accord CVT in the 4-cylinder. It is a good transmission and has given no problems
smile.gif

I am on my second Subaru Forester and no complaints to date with the CVT.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Subaru 6 cylinder losing a drag race big time to a VW Alltrack with half the displacement:

Start at 5:55 to see the drag race

Subaru will be enjoyed on the road VW will be hated in the shop - broken.

Turbo vs flat 6 at high altitude. Turbo will win.

Funny I'm faster than most anyone on the road near me and I am saddled with a 175 HP 3700lb wet Rogue select cvt. All you gotta do is use good syn oil and a champ classic design filter and mix in a couple gallons premium good gas and - - HIT THE GO PEDAL !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back